AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Nvidia responds to AMD by removing Sandbagging in drivers to unlock 3x compute performance

Gulskjegg 8 minutes ago
    "I buy AMD products exclusively not because AMD is awesome, but because Intel and nVidia are the absolute scum of the earth."

TITAN Xp Enables New Levels of Performance for Creative Professionals
    https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/...ls-of-performance-for-creative-professionals/

Titan Xp Enables New Levels of Performance for Creative Professionals | NVIDIA Blog
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/6qtp99/titan_xp_enables_new_levels_of_performance_for/

Titan X (Pascal) benches with the new 385.12 driver
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/6qtf9b/titan_x_pascal_benches_with_the_new_38512_driver/
    lPCiJ69.png
    In the reddit post, be aware the poster highlighted highest Titan Xp scores, but AMD still wins in a number of tests, look at the scores for comparison not the bold highlighted scores.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. ghegde

ghegde Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^^ highlights why we need competition to nvidia

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  3. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    It has long been known nVIDIA is gimping their products.. and Intel is barely innovating. Well, knock knock Ryzen smashed down your door, and on top of that Vega smashed compute performance to another dimension, I know gaming is absolutely everything, but if you create any content what so ever, this boost is everything. On top of that, FreeSync monitors are dimensions cheaper than G-Sync monitors and let us not forget that AMD giving fierce competition might get nVIDIA and Intel to pull their head out of their ar**.

110% going AMD my next build. This is too absurd..

Papusan, ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Deks, don_svetlio and hmscott like this.
  5. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Papusan, Rage Set and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've been wondering about quad-channel in the ThreadRipper, and usually how the fewer the DIMM's/SODIMM's the better the chance of maintaining high speed low latency settings.

With ThreadRipper isn't the memory access "shared" across the Infinity Mesh, such that if you got 4 x DIMM's, it's really 2x to each CCX, so running 4 DIMM's is the "minimum" configuration for quad-channel and low enough count to run highest speed and lowest latency?

Or, is there an advantage to 1 DIMM per CCX, and run memory in a 2x configuration?

What's the best memory layout per the design spec / manual?

7. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Great question. This goes back to the discussion of memory on Epyc. Intel has one massive, consolidated memory controller, but Ryzen has one per die. So, when the other die needs information from the other set of dimms connected to the other die, it has to jump to the other die, then jump to the memory, then follow it back. For 2P, they made a big deal on limiting it to 2 jumps before hitting the ram. Here, you just have the one jump.

This means you are achieving that speed per controller. So, two kits should work fine instead of one kit with all four tested as matching. The timings are still set together, though, meaning you still may have to find the variance in timings between the two kits.

Now, if you only populated dual channel to one die, you would permanently handicap the other die. If you run one in each channel for each die, you are not approaching as good of performance as if you did dual channel. So you do need 4 dimms to get the higher speeds and lowest latency.

hmscott likes this.
  8. ajc9988

Reputations:
    AsrockMem.jpg

hmscott likes this.
  9. ajc9988

Reputations:
    hmscott and Rage Set like this.
  10. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I don't doubt either of them are far behind, though I'm surprised that ASUS wasn't the first.

hmscott and ajc9988 like this.