AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's looks like it's almost VEGA-Time!!...

"With hours to spare until our Vega shipment arrives from a retailer, we put together a review of the Zotac 1080 Ti Amp Extreme – it’s in editing now, and still pending completion – and tore-down the card. The tear-down is live now on YouTube, and is embedded below."
    Zotac GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Tear-Down
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2971-zotac-1080ti-amp-extreme-tear-down

ZOTAC 1080 Ti Amp Extreme Tear-Down

Rage Set and ajc9988 like this.
  2. ghegde

ghegde Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Vega benchmarks are too bad to believe. sad newsfor amd and gamers. Nvidia gouging is going to continue atleast for another year

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Not if you put your money where your heart is, vote with your wallet to keep AMD in the game, send Nvidia a message to reduce their prices.

Nvidia's price "gouging" isn't because it's faster than alternatives, it because Nvidia set a price and people pay it. Stop paying that price.

A few FPS loss is a small "price" to pay to pay a lower price... yeah that's it :)

4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    That is bull. The Vega they put out sucks for gaming but is not meant for gaming. Coincidentally, it came out a month before the gaming version. Why? To hone drivers for games like they honed drivers, software and AGESA/microcode for EPYC, which is telling them info for TR. So, what are you talking about. Hell, one article said it lost to the 1080 when it had a score higher than the 1080 in 4K firestrike ultra.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    How many times did AMD say "PLEASE DON'T DO GAME TESTING ON OUR PROFESSIONAL GPU!!!" ?

What's with the brain freeze around this issue??

It's not a gaming card, wait for RX Vega... sheesh.

ajc9988 likes this.
  6. ajc9988

Reputations:
    It isn't, but they have gaming mode. They are using that to get the Rx Vega ready.

People just don't listen or think logically. Every release so far was to get things ready for the next release. Every new thing is a block.

Now, for AMD driver support, it usually took 3-6 months to get the drivers fully optimized. But they have been working on drivers since January/February this time. Then, why not use the halo project to get the game drivers honed a bit more? One month on top of internal checks, plus one month for software/game companies to optimize of they didn't get early hardware. I'm cool with that.

I'll wait for full suite testing of the frontier edition, then full suite testing of the RX Vega. I'm not judging yet.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So, a card optimized mainly for professional use which excels in pro software gets almost no recognition, but that same card which seemingly doesn't perform as well in games using 'gaming mode' (which was made for testing purposes mainly) seems to get a bad 'rep' and can be used as a 'benchmark' for the gaming version?

How do Nvidia's pro cards perform in games?

On top of that, we're talking about what kind of drivers here exactly?
    Are they ready to be used for Vega that make use of it's architecture?
    I doubt it.

But, like anything else, we will have to wait and see.

Oh and, if gaming Vega cards actually DO end up A LOT better in games (and I hope they do), then wouldn't AMD incorporate this into the pro drivers for gaming mode too?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    ajc9988 likes this.
  8. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I read something about the top end Quadro beating the top end Titan in gaming, but not by much and the cost difference is nuts

ajc9988 likes this.
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That, and how much time passed between these tests and the initial drivers the cards were launched with?

Seriously, I'm seeing maybe 2 or 3 people trolling about Vega's 'bad gaming performance' already like mad and that the RX Vega won't be significantly faster at all.

That would be a rather serious assumption to make, considering that the gaming mode on Vega Frontier Edition probably isn't making use of all the hardware for gaming and is un-optimized.

I think AMD should have simply eliminated this distinction between pro and regular cards and sell the gpu's at regular prices by giving EVERYONE (consumers and professionals alike) option to switch between the driver modes.
    Hardware wise, they are identical... only difference is in software.

This would mean AMD could have easily undercutted Nvidia in the pro segment for example... but it would mean the driver division would have needed time to optimize gaming performance (which is likely what they were doing with the pro side).

I guess we need to wait and see.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  10. ajc9988

Reputations:
    False! This has 16GB HBM2, the upcoming cards only have 8GB. There's more difference, but that is significant. Also, the two drivers are very different. It is like comparing Cuda drivers and Quadro drivers to Geforce drivers.