AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Good question, and I'm not sure on the answer, but I'm sure it helps if your RAM sticks are remaining cool in terms of longevity at any given voltage, and you have your beastly NH-D15 pulling cold air over the top of the modules, so temperatures are probably good for you. My motherboard is using 1.36V under the XMP profile automatically (as opposed to the 1.35V I expected), so I'm sure that 1.36V is safe - without me doing any research I would guesstimate that 1.4V and under is likely to be safe given how close it is to the 1.36V I'm using. (which makes me now think, should I increase the voltage on my RAM & see if I can bump it up the Mhz and/or tighten timings some more!)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    lctalley0109 and hmscott like this.
  2. ghegde

ghegde Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Impressive that R1800X single thread performance is matched and multicore perf is nearly doubled.

They really need that 14nm+ process to demolish Intel.

ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/58052/amd-epyc-32c-64t-3-2ghz-2tb-ram-128-pcie-lanes/index.html
    EPYC pricing, speeds! Bring it! Intel does have some worries!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Kommando and hmscott like this.
  4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    If it's not behind... it certainly isn't ahead...

See:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2969&cmp[]=2874&cmp[]=2966

With the top AMD processor now giving ~26% more multicore performance over Intel's i7-7700K - and that with 200% more cores...) - it still comes with a ~37% increase in cost over the Intel offering.

It (Ryzen) is also less nimble on it's feet (i.e. 'snappiness') with a ~32% deficit in single core performance over that same, less expensive Intel offering.

This is not progress to me.

Again; I congratulate AMD for playing catchup so far... but no cigar from me. Like I've mentioned a few times already; Ryzen 8 or 9 (gen 2 or 3) may become interchangeable with Intel's then current processors, but right now? Ryzen as it sits is a long way from parity with Intel - let alone superior.

Even at 60% increase in IPC over Bulldozer/Piledriver; still is too little too late.

Why did I pick these CPU's to compare? Because they all sit at 95W TDP. Processor efficiency is a high priority for me (with multiple workstations running...). Gaming? Not so much.

Gaming? Like I've posted before (may have been deleted...); this isn't what drives the need for a high end computer today like it once may have. And where it does make a difference? In single core performance where AMD is still taking a back seat to Intel, just like it has for the past decade.

Balanced performance (single/multi) and power efficient is the name of the game in 2017 and has been for a very long time.

When/if AMD steps up to that plate and hits a home run, I'll be there to cheer them on too.

5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would get out my salt shaker for that one. I mean even the lower skews compared are a spot on percentage less. Look at the wording too.

This means one sample could have been tested then the data extrapolated between the other variants. All Variants are 32mb L3 cache too. You have to be careful without official data but if even one did support ECC all should.

Again better than shooting in the dark but beware of rumors..............

ajc9988 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  6. ajc9988

Reputations:
    I'm
    Wondering if the 8 or 16 core Epyc will be overclockable. I may, if prices are right, build a home server monster if so...

hmscott likes this.
  7. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would bet those server boards with 128 PCIe lanes cost $$$$$. :)

triturbo, jaybee83, Rage Set and 2 others like this.
  8. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Supermicro has now made a gaming board, so, considering that, sometimes it is worth trying, especially for something that will last awhile.

hmscott likes this.
  9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    good find there mate! but tbh, those numbers dont surprise me at all...

think about it: TR 1998X is just two 1800X slapped onto one PCB, thus reaching almost identical clocks (3.7 vs 3.8 ghz all core boost) means almost exactly double the performance in multithreading :)

seeing as 1800x had 4ghz 1 core boost and 4ghz was the average oc one could achieve (with 4.1-4.2 ghz outliers golden chips), its safe to assume that 1998X could reach 3.9 ghz on average on all cores with golden chips at 4-4.1 ghz, especially since were talking identical silicon here :)

so....seriously? 4ghz+ on 16 cores, im totally sold! :D especially at 975 bucks, ZOMG! lets hope that price tag sticks.... :eek:

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-AL10 using Tapatalk

10. ghegde

ghegde Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    its 62% better multicore perf by 1800X over 7700K
    [​IMG]