AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    At $900 or so for a new main board I hope AMD chokes on the decision not to support x399. :)

ajc9988 likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You think AMD knew this and to satisfy shareholders they had to sell more MB chipset to lift the bottom line? Better with some cash in from chipset than nothing from expected severe chips shortages:vbbiggrin:

Ashtrix and TANWare like this.
  3. TANWare

Reputations:
    AMD is playing from the Intel playbook, if there are supply issues limit the demand. Also preserve the value of previous generation chips while you are at it.

4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    let the milk begin. @tilleroftheearth

hmscott, TANWare and Papusan like this.
  5. TANWare

Reputations:
    TBH $1,400 for the 3960x would have been fine if they were x399 compliant and not rarer than gold hens teeth. I called it, one sample per continent, no supply so upgrades would have been a nightmare. Also they want too sell 2950x etc..

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    can only blame the zen+ chips not being as good as they are. they had much better opportunities to sell them before intel dropped their pricing now its gonna be even harder.

im still waiting for zen3 or maybe zen4 will comes with hex or octa channel of memory, supporting 3dxpoint dimms from micron or intel.

7. TANWare

Reputations:
    Zen+ was nothing more than a tuned up zen. No one wants them as an upgrade. It however is way worse than I thought. AMD is just not trying to save Zen+ values they need to rely on them because of the 7nm issues. It is truly a shame when they have to rely on paper launches and the like.

Now I am sure this is to protect the stock price. Shame is eventually the share holders will catch on and the price will take an extreme dive. The other issue is this could be taken as a move to defraud investors and open suits. It would have been better to be frourth right and admit to issues. They should have let the chips lie where they will, upgradable and all (pun intended).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 2:45 PM
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    AMD is a corporation and using Intel's approach for the purpose of getting more money for a newly released CPU (if it increases sales of newer chipsets) would hardly be beneath them.
    However, AMD did 'champion' the notion of their existing chipsets being compatible with newer CPU's... and for the most part, this DID turn out to be the case on the consumer end, did it not?

In some instances, there have been questions whether the power delivery systems would be adequate on earlier mobos.
    Could it be that this is a genuine issue with Threadrippers?

Transitioning to 7nm brought about a LOT of changes... some of which may have interfered with AMD's ability to guarantee compatibility with older mobos.

There might also be a possibility that its not a question of compatibility, but safety/stability.
    If AMD cannot ensure TR works as intended on older mobos/chipsets, they could be liable for misleading people.
    Look at the fiasco people raised over their Zen 2 cpu's not reaching 'full clocks as advertised' ... even though the differential is about 1% (if that) and a lot of the CPU's not reaching their 'advertised boost clocks' were mainly due to people messing about with their BIOS to max out performance or further increase efficiency of zen1 and zen + (Zen 2 worked differently due to change in uArch).

Either way, I will reiterate my earlier question:
    What motivates OEM's to upgrade their desktop mobo BIOS to support future CPU's on the same chipset when they don't get compensated by the consumers for doing this?
    And why don't OEM's in that case extend same BIOS updates for their desktop replacements that use the same chipsets which are based off desktop components (such as Asus GL702ZC and Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-61 ?).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 6:48 PM
    hmscott likes this.
  9. TANWare

Reputations:
    1.) the bios update, or AGESA, is provide by AMD then ported by the manufacturer for their board. Motivation is to make people want their boards that are kept updated.

2.) they will not just port an update to similar boards without the original manufacturer bios intended for that chipset/board etc..

hmscott likes this.
  10. TANWare

Reputations: