AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My understanding is in order to have the over 8 cores per CPU they need this in order to increase the CCX count on AM4's and also TR3. I will need to see how this performs on the TR3 before claiming they need to go back in order to go forward.

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Updated DRAM Calculator + New guide to tuning DDR4 for Ryzen 3 from Hardware Unboxed, great as usual:

How to Manually Tune Your DDR4 Memory For Ryzen

Hardware Unboxed
    Published on Aug 11, 2019
    DRAM Calculator: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/71...
    Thaiphoon Burner: http://www.softnology.biz/files.html

It looks like AMD is just as serious about the Radeon group jumping forward as the Ryzen / Epyc performance jumps:

AMD Radeon Community Update: More Control Over GPU Power and Performance, Enhanced Thermal Monitoring, Maximized Performance
    Blog Post created by mithun.chandrasekhar [​IMG] on Aug 12, 2019
    https://community.amd.com/community...nced-thermal-monitoring-maximized-performance

AMD Radeon Community Update: More Control Over GPU Power and Performance, Enhanced Thermal Monitoring, Maximized Performance
    Submitted 13 hours ago by AMDOfficial Official AMD Account
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cpdjrh/amd_radeon_community_update_more_control_over_gpu/

amd_mythun Radeon Product Management 12 hours ago
    "If you guys have any other related questions...fire away!"

Lots of interesting content in the reddit thread...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    jaybee83 likes this.
  3. TANWare

Reputations:
  4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    That score seems possibly legit. Check out the ST on the 3700X or 3900X for comparison.

Then remember it is on Linux. Our 1950Xs can hit very high scores in Linux. So if you estimate 15-20% improvement by generation and look at it being a Linux score, it does seem fairly reasonable. We'd need to use the mainstream chips to estimate boost frequency also, which is higher, while taking into account that windows has gimped gb4 performance.

I forgot what my recent gb4 in windows 10 was.

hmscott likes this.
  5. TANWare

Reputations:
    I think it is legit but it is just a rumor/leak for now. If true though, wow. This just roasts the competitions rump.

ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  6. TANWare

Reputations:
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Lots of more detailed OC'ing / Memory tuning suggestions for Ryzen 3 from LTT. Here's an example of the benefits to be seen in FPS improvement:
    Ryzen 3 perforamnce tuning with memory tuning too.jpg

Here are the highest per CCX OC's for LTT's CPU samples, done in Ryzen Master:
    Ryzen 3 Ryzen Master per CCX OC - best LTT samples could attain.jpg

3rd-gen Ryzen Overclocking - Everything you need to know!
    Linus Tech Tips
    Published on Aug 14, 2019
    Overclocking AMD’s 3rd-gen Ryzen CPUs is pretty different from previous generations – So it’s time for an update to our Ryzen overclocking guide!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  8. TANWare

Reputations:
    I am wondering with TR3 if the 16 core will not be made at all? I think this may be true as the power requirement and TDP may be lower than originally spec'd for the x399. Also if there is no Threadripper 16 core they need not compete with the am4 3950x and can start from 3960x for the 24 core etc..

Edit; I guess there will be a 16 core; https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18683463

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    well its was just like before with the highest ryzen and lowest TR being equal at 8 cores. difference for interested buyers would be the surrounding platform, pcie channels, ram channels, etc.

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  10. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    See, I want that 32-core, but don't know if I could justify it, whereas the 16-core replacement for my platform would be a fair uplift in performance! But I agree, the lowest core count TR and the highest core count mainstream.

Now, once 5nm gets here, who wants to take bets that the 45% area reduction compared to 7nm (only around 28% compared to 7nm+) winds up being used, along with the move of the I/O die to 7nm, to double core counts on Epyc again to 128 cores around 2021? Any takers on that action?

hmscott likes this.