AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you are talking about this, yes, but I haven't explored with it yet, and I'm probably not going to get a chance for a while, please let us know how you like it. :)

AMD’s Secure Processor Firmware Is Now Explorable Thanks to New Tool
    Joel Hruska on June 7, 2019 at 9:20 am
    https://www.extremetech.com/computi...firmware-is-now-explorable-thanks-to-new-tool

https://github.com/cwerling/psptool

I answered here as it was OT for that thread. There are no reported vulnerabilities, yet. :)

Edit: Updated Security Vulnerabilities Zen vs the new Zen 2 / Ryzen 3:
    aharoy0086431.jpg
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c09tz7/security_is_very_dank_these_days/

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    ajc9988 likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    AMD Ryzen 3000 "Matisse" I/O Controller Die 12nm, Not 14nm
    Techpowerup.com | June 13, 2019

AMD Ryzen 3000 "Matisse" processors are multi-chip modules of two kinds of dies - one or two 7 nm 8-core "Zen 2" CPU chiplets, and an I/O controller die that packs the processor's dual-channel DDR4 memory controller, PCI-Express gen 4.0 root-complex, and an integrated southbridge that puts out some SoC I/O, such as two SATA 6 Gbps ports, four USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports, LPCIO (ISA), and SPI (for the UEFI BIOS ROM chip). It was earlier reported that while the Zen 2 CPU core chiplets are built on 7 nm process, the I/O controller is 14 nm. We have confirmation now that the I/O controller die is built on the more advanced 12 nm process, likely GlobalFoundries 12LP. This is the same process on which AMD builds its "Pinnacle Ridge" and "Polaris 30" chips. The 7 nm "Zen 2" CPU chiplets are made at TSMC.

4. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    I am seeing a lot more AMD excitement than I have seen in years, yes even compared to the original Ryzen launch. I skipped TR2 but I have high hopes for TR3 which may not come out until next year.

ole!!!, hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I have very little interest. Now if there were a 16core that would score 5,000 in CBR15, I might have dumped TR but that is not what it is.

6. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    So from some video I watched today, they are trying to target early Q4 (around the same time cascade-X drops), but it may slip to Q1 2020.

And supposedly those will make the mainstream 16 core look meh!

Yay for us TR owners!!!

hmscott and Rage Set like this.
  7. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

ajc9988 likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's funny, I still get people saying "hey, what happened to my FPS?, is there something wrong with my GPU?, it's at 45FPS!", what did you do differently?, "got Metro Exodus and turned on RTX", well....

Many people don't really understand the ramifications of what they want - they hear RTX blurted out at them for months, so they think they need it. They don't know what RTX entails - losing performance in the form of dropping FPS 50% - more or less - and that unless you have a 2080 / 2080ti the frame rate drop may bring the average down below 60 FPS.

As they notice the other negatives found with RTX / DLSS finding those features are undesirable in normal game play - and gameplay is better with RTX / DLSS turned off - add's to the owners disenchantment with Nvidia,whether they admit it or not. But it's too late, they've already blown their money based on Nvidia RTX BS driven manipulations, and that's "How Customers are Meant to be Played".

AMD has decided to skip real-time Ray-tracing for now as it is too expensive in it's current custom hardware implementation, and there is no real benefit to delivering real-time ray-tracing to every consumer - there aren't enough games.

To deliver the kind of RT RT performance that is acceptable makes the GPU so expensive so as to limit the market. AMD might as well seed developers with the development GPU's they need to build the feature support directly where it counts, which is what AMD / Microsoft were doing for ray-tracing (DXR) even before Nvdia tried to take Ray-tracing for themselves by branding it as "RTX".

Jayz rambles around for a while, but eventually gets there, and while I think it could be stated better, people seem to respond to his delivery, and he asked AMD about this topic before he made this video:

Why did AMD skip Ray Tracing on Navi cards?
    JayzTwoCents
    Published on Jun 14, 2019
    When NVIDIA launched the RTX series GPUs, most people complained that it was an expensive feature that nobody wanted... but when AMD launched Navi, people complained that it DIDN'T have real-time ray tracing capabilities... so why didn't AMD include it?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    There are x570 vs x470/etc questions to be answered, IDK if it's possible to answer them all before x570 ships (unannounced surprises), but GN gives it a shot, which can help us plan for what we need for the best performance from the new Ryzen 3 CPU's and Navi GPU's:

AMD X570 vs. X470, X370 Chipset Differences, Lanes, Specs, & Comparison
    Gamers Nexus
    Published on Jun 14, 2019
    Explaining the AMD X570 chipset differences versus X470 and X370, like PCIe lane count, USB3.2 devices, 10Gbps USB, and more. AMD's X570 chipset will accompany the Ryzen 3000 series motherboards at launch, but the persistence of the AM4 socket means the new CPUs are compatible with the old chipsets. To get people up to speed, aside from the PCIe Gen4 differences, we wanted to walk through the chipset differences and comparison against the previous chipsets.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    ajc9988 likes this.
  10. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    in the same boat, excited about TR3. but now im starting to think if probably better for me to wait for zen 3. the 5 series mobo using 14nm for it's chipset and thats hella hot, having a fan on chipset just isn't my thing especially more hassle when the fan dies, i like my things to last.

also was hoping for possibly 7nm i/o die by zen 3, surely they have worked out to get it to 7nm without other penalties. im after the 7nm power efficiency on I/O and 7nm+/6nm on core along with 7nm chipset.

Rage Set, ajc9988 and hmscott like this.