AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Update: The AMD video link now goes to an archived version, and AMD left a bunch of idle time in the recording, so you'll want to jump to 29:00 to start, perhaps all the way to 41:40 when the AMD presentation begins. Also, something is odd in the playback now, IDK if it's just me, but if you notice halting playback it's not just you. :)

Update: Twitch archived the video @ https://www.twitch.tv/videos/430443641

AMD at Computex 2019
    AMD
    Started streaming 6 minutes ago
    Watch AMD President and CEO Dr. Lisa Su's keynote at Computex 2019 in Taipei, speaking to the next generation of high-performance computing.

AMD Twitch doesn't have a feed - yet? - but AMD Twitch Live Chat is active...
    https://www.twitch.tv/amd

"NeedMoreSleep: I'm just gonna watch on YT and chat on Twitch because you guys are always hype af"

YT has Chat disabled...

Update: The AMD twitch feed now has Live video feed too

-------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a couple of Live feeds to try, it's Taipei time Monday 27th 10am, which is US 7pm Pacific time, 10pm Eastern Time.

Here's a new channel, not subscribed before, so make sure you have an alternative:

AMD Computex 2019 Keynote Livestream + Live Reaction & Discussion
    Jays Tech Vault
    Scheduled for May 26, 2019
    Today we react to the official AMD Computex 2019 keynote from AMD's CEO Lisa Su live on stream. Come join as we take a look at what is released and what is not.

AMD Computex 2019 Keynote: watch the livestream...
    by Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 05/26/2019 05:49 PM 13 comment(s)
    AMD will open with the Computex's 2019
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...-livestream-with-ryzen-3000-announcement.html

"Here on Guru3D you can watch the Computex keynote live on site. We will live stream the event from this very news item. The Computex Keynote begins on Monday, May 27, at 10:00 am local time.
    • For Western Europeans in the night from Sunday to Monday at 04:00 clock if you want to see the stream live.
    • For the US that PT 7 PM / ET 10 PM
    • And in Asia, 10 AM Taipei Time (GMT + 8 hours)."
    AMD to Livestream Dr. Lisa Su Computex 2019 Keynote
    http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/news-release-details/amd-livestream-dr-lisa-su-computex-2019-keynote

"A live stream of the event will be available at: https://www.amd.com/en/events/computex. An archived version of the webcast will be available approximately one hour after the event and can be found on the AMD YouTube channel."

That leads to a webcast sign up, which I signed up for, but I haven't received a link / email yet. Maybe that URL turns into the Live feed later...

Some others might pop up as time gets closer:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=AMD+Computex+2019+Keynote&sp=CAI%3D

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    ajc9988 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  2. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Papusan and bennyg like this.
  3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    And no 16 core.

As the saying goes... If you're being chased by a lion, you only have to outrun one other guy, you don't have to outrun everyone.

Why beat Intel any more than they have to? The 12 core does just that... for the $499 price all the leaks said the (already not top tier) 16 core "3800X" would be

#sAMDbagging

Arrrrbol and Papusan like this.
  4. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Welp looks like the prices were right. The $499 12 core is the only excting thing I see here and I would be interested only if it beats an overclock 9900K at gaming. Other than that meh. 7nm hasn't brought huge clock gains, still no 5Ghz, I hoped for more. If that 3900X turns out to be a beast though for gaming, I would give it a chance for sure!

Arrrrbol, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Upset, no 16 core and still no 5 Ghz. Also TR3 is still out in the air. This leaves no immediate upgrade path for TR owners at all.

6. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Yeah, the boost clocks seem disappointing, but the 15% IPC is no joke! I'll work out the math in the morning, but that is around 8%+ IPC over Intel.

There is so much more I want to know, like seeing XFR and PBO performance.

But seeing the gaming deficit being closed at stock is nice.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

7. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm not at all that disappointed TBH, the clockspeeds have been brought up, the the core count increased on the consumer line at a decent TDP. If history repeats itself with AMD, they clocked these chips to near max, with 100-300mhz on the table for OC on conventional cooling. That means around 4.9Ghz boost? That isn't bad at all. The 12 core could be a killer chip.

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Quick notes on the keynote speech today:

I'm happy that AMD is still making headway, but at best, they're still catching up to Intel circa late 2018, (and only if independent testing actually reinforces what they presented today in about a month and a half).

The datacenter stats presented were interesting and may prove to be their savior for the next year, depending on what Intel will be releasing in the next few quarters too, of course.

The lower prices, the 'matches' Intel's current offerings and the lower TDP are not the building blocks to 'better', let alone superior.

Either way, I like how the ball is hit from one court back to the other with each iteration from both companies. :)

Dr. Lisa was slightly annoying to listen to. Out of breath and sounding like she didn't quite believe in what she was saying either (or was that just me).

For 7nm products at limited power, the performance jump indicated is in the expected range. The better choice would have been screw the TDP and let those cores actually fly.

'Supreme Performance' at a price isn't a thing. Except in the minds of marketing 'professionals'.

Papusan likes this.
  9. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I'm definitely interested to see the 12 core on water! I'm wondering how far it will go considering it's showing against the 9920X.

Now, the caveats. The Navi was shown inn strange brigade, likely using Vulkan which heavily favors AMD.

The CB20 score was impressive against the 9700K at nearly 33%. But AMD SMT is exceptional at that type of workload. But they also said equal single core performance at stock. Granted, LUUMI just uploaded him overclocking a 9900K on water to 5.8GHz on the R0 stepping.

For PUBG, it showed equal performance in the title (maybe slight edge to AMD), but with the KS coming out, it may outperform, granted at a huge premium.

For the 3900X, they used blender, a known heavily MT program, but which stores a lot in cache (so avoids a deep exam of memory performance) and which even the 2990WX saw little deficit due to multi-chiplet design.

It's important to note those things to make sure people see the full picture. But the 12-core at 3.8 base/4.6 boost does look like a great offering, priced the same as the 9900K and possibly less than the 9900KS.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Rage Set, Arrrrbol, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  10. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I hadn't seen that video by him yet. I saw his video of the 9900KF calling it a TURD essentially. I will check out that 9900K R0 stepping video now! 5.8Ghz on water, WTF! I am exctied to see 3rd party reviews of the 12 core Ryzen chip. I hope it can overclock and maybe AMD didn't steal all of the fun this round. The 12 core has my interest.

Arrrrbol and ajc9988 like this.