AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This is what is nice about the system. It is not so far behind the older higher end offerings. To the point they feel nice and snappy. These would make for great general machines for office, student, teacher or what not. I think AMD hit the mark with the 5 series mobile, just wish they would have gotten better OEM support and offerings.

As an aside note, when running CBR15 hwmonitor reports the CPU to use just under 12w most of the time, I would have liked to see it more capable under full core load to use the 15w. I doubt the thin and light laptops could cool the 25w load. I know they limit in bios but more control would be nice.

Edit; I did some subsequent runs, the behavior is it starts as a package at 13.25w but quickly climbs to 90c where it then step down to 11.15w and climbs to about 85c. Seems to need better cooling.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Vasudev and Deks like this.
  2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    When a 5+ year old 11 inch W110ER can fit a 45W quad that gets 600-700 CB R15 score and cools itself better than that...

Vasudev likes this.
  3. TANWare

Reputations:
    At 4lbs I would not qualify that as thin and light.Also 720p graphics? Old tech for sure.

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That just further demonstrates how OEM's neglect AMD hardware in laptops.
    But that's not the only thing.
    The W110ER is a relatively thick looking laptop so it will have better cooling.

The Ryzen 2500u is an extremely efficient chip with only 15W TDP while producing similar score as i7-7700K.
    The fact it reaches 90 deg C under software that stresses the CPU/iGP in the first place demonstrates lackluster cooling from the OEM (its hardly AMD's fault).

The laptops that contain AMD APUs' and have adequate cooling, and do NOT TDP restric the chips are ones that have an RX 560x dedicated GPU to accompany it (such as Acer Nitro 5).

Acer actually made beffier cooling for Helios Predator 500 which has Ryzen/Vega than on the Intel/NV version.
    That was a smart move actually because the two systems do differ in power consumption and heat production, so cooling would need to be 'tailored' to each system (but most OEM's don't seem to do this).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Where have yu seen this? Links, please. Thanks

Probably some with higher scores than this, but not on 7700K level.

6. TANWare

Reputations:
    There is not a cooling solution in the world that will get a 2500u to overclocked 7700K status in CBR15. This is not what it is about. Almost any system with a discrete GPU has a beefier cooling system compared to the APU only systems.

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    People have tested the big brother 2700u and need +30w for +720cb. Almost same power consumption as Intel i5-8250U doing 750cb. Still far away from 7700K performance level. 15w, nope.

Edit. I think he meant 7700HQ. But equal performance with 15w, nope.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  8. TANWare

Reputations:
    The point being they are not that inferior, if at all, to the Intel offerings. The 3500u and 3700u should be better showings too.

9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Nvidia G-Sync vs. AMD FreeSync: Which Monitors Perform Better?
    by Christian Eberle April 12, 2019 at 6:00 AM
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-gsync-vs-amd-freesync-test-comparison,39042.html

"...After our testing, it’s apparent that the most glaring difference between these two monitors is their price. At this writing, the G-Sync-equipped AG241QG G-Sync screen is selling for around $600/ £399.95, while the FreeSync-equipped AG241QX is $320 / £265.99. That’s a major gap, and it’s more than the usual $150 premium most G-Sync monitors carry. Given the image quality advantage enjoyed by the less expensive FreeSync monitor, we know which one we’d choose.

But wait! We haven’t played any games yet.
    Conclusion
    When we first conceived this experiment, we expected the result to swing in favor of the G-Sync monitor. G-Sync monitors usually have more features and perform a little better in our color and contrast tests. We hypothesized that while you’re paying a premium for G-Sync, those monitors perform slightly better in other areas related to image quality.

Our testing of the AOC Agon AG241QG and AG241QX proved that theory wrong. Obviously, the FreeSync-based QX is superior in every way except for its maximum refresh rate. But why would one give up contrast and spend an extra $300 just to gain 21Hz that you can’t actually see when playing? Clearly, the AG241QX is the better choice."

10. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Not quite sure how a review of two monitors relates to this thread...

katalin_2003 and hmscott like this.