AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    So, licensing an IP is selling its soul? Then Intel fueling the US intelligence agencies means what exactly? Seriously, if AMD licensing its IP is selling one's soul, then giving your tech to the NSA, the Five Eyes intelligence program, being part of the exascale computing project meant to comb through massively swept up records on the internet, etc. equals what exactly? Just saying, gotta keep perspective here. This was a business transaction.

Now, yes, AMD did get added to the exascale computing joint venture for the gov't as well, but the NSA got Intel to modify their ME so that they would be secure, but it was left open for exploits for average users. Do you want to head there in this discussion?

hmscott likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Have never defending NSA!! Or Intel’s practice.

NSA or the Chinese is equally bad. And from what I know in the little country NORWAY, the Climate between U.S and the Chinese ain’t exactly better as it is now. Oh’well we will see how it goes.

3. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Care to elaborate on why the Chinese are 'equally bad' as NSA?
    As far as I know, there is no real difference on the origin of the technology, and the 'risks' of espionage are no greater than with any ICT vendor.
    Plus, its interesting to note that majority of technology hardware is manufactured in China as its cheap for companies to do that... but the USA in particular has an obvious problem in allowing its population in buying Chinese mobile phones and technology made by Chinese companies (As it wrecks with the business model in the USA).
    Mind you, Chinese stuff is cheaper (and just because it is, doesn't mean its any less durable or capable than major 'brands').

Also, since when is the concept of a 'soul' a thing (considering that science rejects its existence according to peer-review), and why would you want to attribute such a ludicrous concept onto a corporation in the first place?

Plus, as it was pointed out, Intel made ridiculously shadier deals.

I think this actually encourages potential cooperation and it opens up more options for AMD in particular.

hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    bennyg, hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Is Ryzen ‘More Future Proof’ For Gamers?
    Hardware Unboxed
    Published on Jul 11, 2018

7. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, so Ryzen probably not more future proof than 8700K and possibly 7700K for next 2+ years - after that point it may be, but at which point you'd quite likely be updating your platform & buying a new CPU anyway while having in the meantime missed out on the extra performance for the next 2+ years.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Upsides like that may seem irrelevant, but for most of us it's nice to know that there is upside to ownership over time and as software matures your performance increases extends the lifetime of use.

This particular AMD 9950 Black Edition CPU I have in this computer has been doing yeoman's work since it was built in 2008, and continues to be useful for day to day use.

So 2 years seems like a long time, but at 2 years on this AMD computer that was only 1/3 of the way through the use my daughter got from the computer, all through High School and part of college - when a laptop took over 1/2 the daytime use.

Now I have it running for browsing and video viewing using lower power than other alternatives - it sips power in comparison :)

~8 years of use - ~2 years moth-balled in between, most of that time after 4 core became the norm for new software.

Now the same for the 8 core Ryzen, easily 10 years of use, with the best starting after the first 2 years.

What a great idea. Too bad Intel didn't think of it first, once again AMD beats Intel to the next best idea. ;)

jaybee83, Vasudev and ajc9988 like this.
  9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well there's no doubt that both Ryzen & Intel 7700K/8700K will be usable for years to come, just won't be the bleeding edge anymore, and performance may be sacrificed to a greater or lesser degree - perhaps more performance sacrifice with Intel after the 4yr+ point to take a stab at a time frame.

hmscott likes this.
  10. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    People who search how much future proof products are before they buy actually don't mind sacrificing small amount (or any amount as long as it is still digestible) of performance in 3+ years because they don't plan to buy new PC in same 3+ years accordingly. You don't look at future-proofing if you don't care about money, do you?

Papusan and ajc9988 like this.