AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It helps to point out the start of the section(s)... which news article(s) prompted you to post the video?

They provide an index, you could post all of the index with the points of interest highlighted:

Published on Jun 29, 2018
    Support us on Patreon https://www.patreon.com/hardwareunboxed

News Topics:
    00:18 - Micron Begins GDDR6 Mass Production
    02:07 - Threadripper Price Drops
    03:24 - G-Sync HDR Module Costs $500+

05:12 - Corsair Acquires Elgato Gaming
    06:03 - AVerMedia Launches 4K HDR Capture Boxes
    07:04 - SD 7.0 and SD Express Spec Announced
    07:56 - Razer Hunstman Keyboard with Optical Switches
    08:53 - Ryzen Threadripper 2990X Appears at Retailer?
    10:12 - Nvidia Next-Gen GPU Engineering Board Pictured

The HDR G-sync news about being so late to market due to a custom FPGA that in small quantities costs $2000 each, even in quantity for production they still cost $500, which makes AMD's Freesync 2.0 HDR a whole lot cheaper to manufacture and sell, go AMD!! :)

There is also a little known NBR rule that image or video only posts aren't allowed, we are required to post text, like a title or other comment with them. The Random Image / Video threads are exempt from that rule, apparently.

There are a number of channels following in the Level1Techs footsteps doing this kind of news show now, I've been posting the Level1Tech's videos for a while in OffTopic:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...26-2018-kraznich-inside.820421/#post-10755406

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    jclausius likes this.
  2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    As far as the TOS it counts on the original post. Where as an image without any textual content may be an image only one with text content may not be. That is so long as the content does not violate TOS or try and get around it. Like off topic, language etc.. At least this is my interpretation of it.

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    It was put to me more simply than that. An image or video, or emoticon alone aren't sufficient, there must be accompanying text. I had a post deleted long ago due to it not having any text. I recall reading at the time in the rules list just that limitation. Where's the link to the rules? :)

4. TANWare

Reputations:
    The rules;
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/forum-rules.109941/

I may even have been the one who deleted the post, I would have to see the image. An image with text included in it, to me, already includes text but since there are no filters it is subjective somewhat. Like a comic 9 times out of 10 is off topic and therefore without supportive text not a viable post. Just having a saying etc. is the same thing.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    This is what I recall the rule as, and it's at the link you gave:
    • Image replies are not allowed (posting just an image in response to a question)
    But, I posted a video without a caption...that's what was deleted. That's why I brought it up, you posted just the video without title, or index, or any comment as to what we were to look at in the video...that's why I thought the rule was there, to add context to the post so we knew what to look at or what it meant.

Unless the video is about a single subject, or is the 1st subject in the video, I post a Start @ time + some context, and if posted with the video I include the timecode indexed list of subjects highlighting the ones I find of interest.

6. TANWare

Reputations:
    Right, if it were a video say just showing Linus's pretty face holding up a CPU that would be a no-no. Again, I would have to see it and it is subjective from mod too mod. Again the content, now having text even if not need almost guaranties the post will be kept.

I agree a legend is helpful but I though about everything in the end was somewhat AMD related, even GDDR6.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    AMD is looking to replace motherboards with chiplets it would seem:
    https://pcgamesn.com/amd-kill-the-motherboard-with-chiplets

Aggresively priced AMD based laptop with really good specs:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcoc...awei-matebook-d-14-hits-the-u-s/#1ecd9e6427e9

AMD also appears to be sending Ryzen/Radeon care packages to devs for optimizations (should help with software performance - but you'd think that AMD has been doing this already?) :
    https://www.extremetech.com/computing/272447-amd-is-sending-ryzen-radeon-care-packages-to-developers

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    All good news, and as for AMD seeding Ryzen / Radeon systems, before then no one would want them - as Ryzen Fall hadn't happened yet. To get into those developers work flow the development houses have to want them - and assign resource workflow to use them, and to want them they need to know how it will help them sell more games - AMD Ryzen / Radeon installed base, performance, with clear and easy rebuild / optimization are all there now, but wasn't there at release.

The integrated silicon weave is cool, long time coming. It should bring about new standards for size / density and cooling, but I hope they make it user DIY friendly, it could easily go completely locked in - and would make sense from design benefits to do so.

AMD has a huge window opening up to approach laptop vendors to fill the looming gap left by Intel's failure to deliver 10nm laptop CPU's, vendors that were counting on them are left twiddling their thumbs, and are gonna have to rehash last gen parts from Intel to have new products.

Intel silently launches 10NM/Cannon Lake cpus
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-cannon-lake-cpus.817097/page-2#post-10755492

9. hmscott

Reputations:
    News Corner - 03:24 - G-Sync HDR Module Costs $500+
    Hardware Unboxed

Now Linus has laid down the Gauntlet to Nvidia to come on and explain why HDR G-sync costs and sucks so much because G-sync isn't competitive with AMD Freesync to the point that TV vendors like Samsung are including AMD Freesync, Microsoft Xbox is including Freesync (Sony too), etc etc etc, all easy to switch between with AMD Freesync, what's Nvidia going to do now?

WAN Show June 29 2018
    00:11:07 - NVIDIA G-Sync HDR module adds $500 to monitor pricing

Here's the PCPER article that brought this all to light:

ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ 27" 4K 144Hz G-SYNC Monitor: True HDR Arrives on the Desktop
    https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graph...z-G-SYNC-Monitor-True-HDR-Arrives-Desktop/Tea

"...After disconnecting the cables running to the PCB in the middle, and removing the bracket, we gained access to the electronics responsible for controlling the LCD panel itself.

A New G-SYNC Module
    Now that we have a better view of the PCB, we can see exactly what the aforementioned blower fan and heatsink assembly are responsible for— the all-new G-SYNC module.

Over the years, there has been a lot of speculation about if/when NVIDIA would move from an FPGA solution to a cheaper, and smaller ASIC solution for controlling G-SYNC monitors. While extensible due to their programmability, FGPA's are generally significantly more expensive than ASICs and take up more physical space.

Removing the heatsink and thermal paste, we get our first peek at the G-SYNC module itself.
    [​IMG]
    As it turns out, G-SYNC HDR, like its predecessor is powered by an FPGA from Altera. In this case, NVIDIA is using an Intel Altera Arria 10 GX 480 FPGA. Thanks to the extensive documentation from Intel, including a model number decoder, we are able to get some more information about this particular FPGA.

A mid-range option in the Arria 10 lineup, the GX480 provides 480,000 reprogrammable logic, as well as twenty-four 17.4 Gbps Transceivers for I/O. Important for this given application, the GX480 also supports 222 pairs of LVDS I/O.
    [​IMG]
    DRAM from Micron can also be spotted on this G-SYNC module. From the datasheet, we can confirm that this is, in fact, a total of 3 GB of DDR4-2400 memory. This memory is likely being used in the same lookaside buffer roll as the 768MB of memory on the original G-SYNC module, but is much higher capacity, and much faster.

While there's not a whole lot we can glean from the specs of the FPGA itself, it starts to paint a more clear picture of the current G-SYNC HDR situation. While our original speculation as to the $2,000 price point of the first G-SYNC HDR monitors was mostly based on potential LCD panel cost, it's now more clear that the new G-SYNC module makes up a substantial cost.

It's an unstocked item, without a large bulk quantity price break, but you can actually find this exact same FPGA on both Digikey and Mouser, available to buy. It's clear that NVIDIA isn't paying the $2600 per each FPGA that both sites are asking, but it shows that these are not cheap components in the least. I wouldn't be surprised to see that this FPGA alone makes up $500 of the final price point of these new displays, let alone the costly DDR4 memory."

ajc9988 likes this.
  10. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Posting this video both here and in the AMD Ryzen thread for different reasons. This is based on research papers which included an AMD researcher, but it references mesh network interposers, which may explain why Intel went with mesh on their current lineup, although Jim at AdoredTV did misstate when Intel adopted the mesh network, as it theoretically existed with project Larabee and was found on the Xeon Phi chips (at least by gen 2) before it was used widely on their server and HEDT lineup. Meanwhile, this has obvious potential uses on graphics cards and CPUs by AMD, which may be incorporated into future products, so properly belongs there as well (as some monitor one thread and not both). So here is the video and the papers on which the video is based:

http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~enright/micro14-interposer.pdf
    http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~enright/Kannan_MICRO48.pdf

Deks and hmscott like this.