AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Maybe you are reading too much into the TDP specification?

We haven't seen the power draw, and won't until starting 4/19, so we should wait until then and see what the power draw is in comparison between the 1700x/1800x and the 2700x, etc.

So let's see how the new Ryzen 2 uses it's performance / watt in actual use.

The problem is with my translation, it looks like their quote compares their 12nm to competitors 10nm:

"12FDX provides an alternative path for the next generation of connected intelligent systems, enabling the performance of 10nm FinFET with better power consumption, lower cost, and better RF integration than current-generation foundry FinFET offerings."

So I will go back and fix my post :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, I noticed that... though, you'd think 10nm FinFET would be inherently superior to 14nm LPP... and as such, you'd still be able to achieve same TDP with higher boosting frequencies.
    I realize TDP is not the same as power draw, but usually for AMD CPU's and GPU's power draw tends to end in the similar W ballpark as TDP, if not higher.

But, you are also correct that we should wait to see the final product before making any final statements... it's just that to me, the technical specs (at the moment) seem to produce very different results in comparison to what was said of the product.

Also, what is 2700x supposed to replace?
    1700x or 1800x?
    From what I could tell, its a successor to 1800x... but at higher TDP and not quite the 10% higher boost (unless the remainder of performance is in the architecture optimizations - which is definitely possible).

3. hmscott

Reputations:
    The Ryzen 1.0 1700 / 1700x / 1800 / 1800x turned out to be over doing the spread at the top, since all of those models were essentially the same when OC'd to about the same end result, no matter which model you choose.

The 2700x / 2700 cover all 4 previous models, 1700 / 1700x / 1800 / 1800x , at a much lower price for the highest performance model, a big price savings over the Ryzen 1.0 prices.

There are no viable rumors that I've seen for 2800x / 2800, except "where are they"?

AMD could probably get away with a single 2700x without a cooler, and offer the RGB coolers as accessory to the CPU. The same for the other sku's, have a single X model, and unbundle the cooler.

There is probably some element of "shelf" space grabbing involved in AMD's sku spread decisions. :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I might be wrong but I think it is because of x370 chipsets. Since the older chipset does not use xfr2 most may want to then purchase the 2700. Now the 2700x may then be designated to x470 chipset boards for the added stock performance.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Get Ready… They’re Nearly Here! | Ryzen Zen+ Preview
    Published on Apr 16, 2018
    Ryzen 7 2700X, Ryzen 7 2700, Ryzen 5 2600X & Ryzen 5 2600, The second generation of Ryzen CPUs are hitting shelves April 19th, a new 12nm process, 2nd generation tweaks, their Zen+ CPU’s look to be VERY impressive. Ryzen 7 2700X review and Ryzen 5 2600x review coming soon.

6. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    12 FDX is NOT their 12nm finFET being used in Ryzen+. The silicon on insulator (SOI) is an alternative process. There are two processes being discussed in that paragraph. So try again.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

jaybee83 and hmscott like this.
  7. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    The rumors on that are some boards that are X370 will have better compatibility with xfr2 than others. With that is the potential issue of xfr2 compatibility because of initial design or firmware. But, we'll know more in 3 days after the embargo.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    ajc9988 likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Car-crash television: 'Excuse me ma'am, do you speak English?' 'Yes I do,' replies AMD's CEO
    Martin Brundle left red-faced after Chinese Grand Prix snafu
    By Iain Thomson in San Francisco 16 Apr 2018 at 18:38
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/16/amd_ceo_f1/
    [​IMG]
    Brundle and Su ... Not a particularly Zen moment

"Some of us love watching Formula One for the prangs and crashes – but we don't really expect them to happen before the race even begins.

Yet, that's the only way to describe a live TV interview at the Chinese Formula One Grand Prix on Sunday, which went embarrassingly wrong.

Former Formula One driver and Sky Sports telly presenter Martin Brundle was doing his usual walk down the starting grid before the race, interviewing drivers and teams along the way live in front of a camera crew. After running short of someone to chat to, he spotted someone who looked interesting.

"Excuse me ma'am, do you speak English?" Brundle asked.

However, he was unwittingly talking to Lisa Su, president and CEO of AMD, who speaks excellent English, thanks in part to gaining a masters and doctorate degrees in electrical engineering from MIT and 46 years living in the US.

You know, AMD. One of the sport's top sponsors.

"Yes, I do. I'm with AMD so we're sponsoring the Ferrari car," she responded. "Er, OK, yes," Brundle stuttered, before cutting back to the studio.

To be fair to Brundle, Su is probably recognizable only in the tech world, but as a massive backer of the sport it may have been prudent to check with someone who she was first. Su didn’t seem too put out by it, and Brundle finished his grid walk without any other cockups.

AMD is plowing tons of sponsorship money into the Formula One at the moment, and – although it's very early days in the season – Ferrari appear to have put it to good work, winning two out of the first three races.

The modern F1 car is basically a wheeled computer, with drivers changing engine modes and brake settings multiple times during a race or even a lap via the steering wheel. This is backed up by mini-data centers back in the pits analyzing every move – sometimes with disastrous results."

Comments

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    ajc9988 and jaybee83 like this.
  10. BeastsForever.TheDragon

BeastsForever.TheDragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    AMD’s second-gen Ryzen CPUs are topping 5.8GHz when overclocked

Two of AMD's upcoming second-generation Ryzen processors have already been overclocked to 5.8GHz and beyond, a feat made even more impressive by the fact that all of the cores on each chip were enabled while it happened.

Extreme overclocker "TSAIK" achieved the feat on on AMD's Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X. Both had to be subjected to exotic cooling—liquid nitrogen, or LN2—in order to reach 5.8GHz and higher, so obviously running the new chips at that speed is not the least bit practical. We'll have to wait and see how they perform on air and traditional water cooling.

In the meantime, it's interesting to see the new processors approach 6GHz. The Ryzen 7 2700X performed a hair better than the Ryzen 5 2600X, reaching 5.884GHz with the core voltage set at 1.76V. That's impressive considering it has eight physical CPU cores. The 6-core/12-thread Ryzen 5 2600X hit 5.882GHz. ezYycANH4skxAAa8hn7U7M-650-80.jpg
    Extreme overclocker "TSAIK" achieved the feat on on AMD's Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X. Both had to be subjected to exotic cooling—liquid nitrogen, or LN2—in order to reach 5.8GHz and higher, so obviously running the new chips at that speed is not the least bit practical. We'll have to wait and see how they perform on air and traditional water cooling.

In the meantime, it's interesting to see the new processors approach 6GHz. The Ryzen 7 2700X performed a hair better than the Ryzen 5 2600X, reaching 5.884GHz with the core voltage set at 1.76V. That's impressive considering it has eight physical CPU cores. The 6-core/12-thread Ryzen 5 2600X hit 5.882GHz.

To put those results into perspective, the Ryzen 7 2700X has a maximum boost frequency of 4.3GHz via Extended Frequency Range 2 (XFR2), while the Ryzen 5 2600X tops out at 4.2GHz. Both of those maximum frequencies are in single-core mode.

The processors were plopped into an MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC motherboard along with a single 8GB G.Skill Tirdent Z DDR4 memory module.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    ajc9988, jaybee83 and hmscott like this.