AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    (I've edited my previous post with some more info while you were typing your reply.)

I think it's more than 10% of K CPUs desktop owners that overclock, I think it would be more like 75% of them, I agree with those other figures you came up with though for laptops though. Laptops aren't as conducive to OC'ing.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To me its comparing apples to oranges, as Intel had been on basically the same process for how long? Saying Ryzen is a failure is unfair, and untrue. I have a stable 800mhz overclock on a first gen process. Saying it doesn't overclock as good as Intel is true, but wait for it to mature a little before throwing it under the bus. Just because I don't have a 13 or 1400mhz overclock doesn't make it any less fun, it just makes it harder to compete. I am in no way disappointed with my purchase, as I have a clear upgrade path for future Ryzen cpu's, and it's a monster multicore beast.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Nobody is saying Ryzen is a failure. That would be unfair and inaccurate. The opposite is true. AMD did better than expected and should be commended for their effort and progress. Having a nonchalant attitude toward the fact that they have very limited overclocking potential is a failure.

We shouldn't make excuses and cut them any slack for it not doing well at overclocking as some would like to present as being the right approach. That only makes matters worse and gives them an out to not try harder next time. Saying it is OK that the overclock potential is poor because 99% of the people that buy it either don't care or don't know how to overclock is lame, and that is a very dangerous mentality that merely encourages more of the same kind of product to follow. To compete successfully with Intel (and NVIDIA) to take more of their business, and spur competition, their products need to compete at all levels, not just stock performance. It doesn't really take a special product to compete with soldered mobile processors and the locked down non-K/X Intel CPUs. Targeting that over-saturated consumer market segment that is content with low-cost status quo mediocrity removes them as a serious contender in the performance PC market.

That approach should never fly. It's not much different than saying that everyone should only buy Mustangs, Camaros and Barracudas with turbocharged 4- or 6-cylinder engines because they run better than the non-turbo wheezers, and because 99% of the people that buy them don't need the performance that a supercharged V8 can provide. It totally ignores the fact that some expect and demand more than others. Need and knowledge have nothing to do with it. It's all about desire and people having what they want, not what someone else thinks they ought to be content with. Some want something with potential for greater things even if they never tap that potential. If they don't bring it, then they're not a serious contender.

I am watching to see what they do next. Impressive first try. I expect more, and hope they close or surpass the overclocking gap. If they do, chances are really good that they will get some of my money. I need to see the results and Intel's response to that progress first though.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There was a time when CPU's were a bit more anemic and in the 1GHz range where overclocking mattered to me a great deal. Since graduating beyond C2D's this has become a non issue for me. I overclock where I can but I do not need the superclocks anymore for a great system.

Now prior to Ryzen using an AMD was like going back to a C2Q at best, not something I was willing to do.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Strange, that 99% of the people have missed the AMD deal:eek: Not all want trow out unnecessary amount of their hard earned money, then why is AMD's market shares lower than what they already is? What have AMD? 30% ?:rolleyes: Or 40 or 50% ? Strange!!

FYI. None have said AMD is a failure.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The issue is not everyone needs a new system. The issue above that too is few systems are out there as OEM with Ryzen CPU's. Yet another issue is AMD systems out there on the4 cheap are OLD non Ryzen AMD CPU's. Yet another issue is even though the GPU may be only a 1050 in the new system Intel's gaming better sticks with consumers even if it is not true at that hardware level. Should we go on?

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The ignorance of consumers has always been, and will continue to be, a source of grief for the small group that actually knows anything. The typical PC gamer is a converted console jockey, and those folk fall squarely into the misinformed consumer category. They might be serious about liking to play games and may be really good at it, but they usually don't know much about the hardware they are planning to use for doing that. I don't know the numbers and won't venture a guess, but it seems that there are a ton of them, (probably the majority,) that are not technically savvy and can't tell when they are being fed a load of baloney.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    HP Envy 360 15z - Ryzen 5 2500u Vega 8 Graphics

Published on Feb 5, 2018
    The HP Envy 360 15z is a 15.6" 2-1 laptop powered by AMD's Ryzen 5 2500u CPU with integrated Radeon Vega 8 graphics.
    It has Windows Ink support using an Ntrig pen.
    Base model can cost $650 direct from HP with 8GB RAM.
    Other options available on Amazon:
    http://amzn.to/2nJM9Rl
    It promises to improve gaming performance without sacrificing too much CPU performance.
    This is a full review
    HP Envy 360 15z - Ryzen 5 2500u Vega 8 Graphics.jpg

9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ryzen 7 2700U (15w) Review (Acer Swift 3) vs Ryzen 5 2500U (25w) (HP Envy x360) vs i7-8550U (Acer Aspire E15)
    Ahh, that's why his 2500u sometimes outperforms his 2700u, the power limit on the 2500u is 25w and the 2700u is 15w...described in this video.

*impressive* Tomb Raider 1080p high AMD Ryzen 7 2700U Vega 10. Acer Swift 3 Gameplay Benchmark. Test

PUBG "Adrenalin" Retest AMD Ryzen 7 2700U Vega 10. Acer Swift 3 Gameplay Benchmark. Test

Paladins AMD Ryzen 7 2700U Vega 10. Acer Swift 3 Gameplay Benchmark. Test

AMD Ryzen 7 2700U Vega 10 "Adrenalin" vs. Nvidia GeForce MX150 (Intel i7-8550U) in 7 Games

Middle-earth: Shadow Of War AMD Ryzen 7 2700U Vega 10. Acer Swift 3. Gameplay Benchmark

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided AMD Ryzen 7 2700U Vega 10. Acer Swift 3. Gameplay Benchmark Test

Subnautica AMD Ryzen 7 2700U Vega 10. Acer Swift 3. Gameplay Benchmark

Battlefield 1 Multiplayer 64 DirectX 11 & 12 Ryzen 7 2700U Vega 10. Acer Swift 3 Gameplay Test
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhJJ5pR2z5Q
    Street Fighter V Arcade Edition Ryzen 7 2700U Vega 10. Acer Swift 3 Gameplay Benchmark Test
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WidB6lr4p0g
    Ultra Street Fighter IV 1080p max Ryzen 7 2700U Vega 10. Acer Swift 3. Gameplay Benchmark
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY1xVKHLKvI

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    ajc9988 and Raiderman like this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So, more than playable on 1080p and various high settings.
    Now if the 2700u wasn't limited to 15w but instead allowed to go up to 25w as its supposed to, it would likely eclipse the 2500u and reach or surpass mx150

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    hmscott likes this.