AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    AMD Raven Ridge 8GB vs. 16GB Reserved Memory Benchmark & Explanation

ajc9988 likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    AMD To Release Ryzen V1000 SoC To Take on Intel Gemini Lake
    by Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 02/18/2018 09:55 AM
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/em...n-v1000-soc-to-take-on-intel-gemini-lake.html

"2017 has been the year of the rise of AMD in everything regarding processors. From entry-level up-to enthusiast class with Threadripper and Epyc.

With Ryzen 2000G just launching and the Zen+ updates in April. They do not stop there, you can now add to that an SoC development, as the low-power embedded market was still left untouched, meet the Ryzen V1000.

The AdvanTech website is (was) showing a motherboard that holds an AMD Ryzen Embedded V1000-processor, the preliminary product page for a SOM-5871 has been pulled but was showing the embedded R-Series SoC line based on the same a Zen Core already, the AMD V1000 SoC.

So what exactly is the V1000 SoC you might wonder?

AMD V1000 SoC
    The V1000 is actually based on Raven Ridge, but developed under what you guys might remember us posting back in 2016 already, the AMD R-Series "Horned Owl" and G-Series “Banded Kestrel.” These two parts are big updates to AMD’s embedded SoC line.

When we go back to the Advantech SOM-5871 product page we can see product specifications listed as the AMD V1000 supports a core/thread of “2/4/8.” This means dual, quad and octa-core likely with threaded SKUS as well.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This SoC series will see 1MB or 2MB cache with TDPs in the 12 to 54 Watt ranges. Being a SoC it has a built-in I/O chipset. The clock frequencies have not been listed but much like the Ryzen 5 2400G it should get a Vega GPU with 11 compute units including H.265 decode and encode and VP9 decode and Ultra HD support. An earlier leaked iBase Mini-ITX revealed the Vega and CPU core count as well as the up to 32GB of dual-channel DDR4-2400/3200 with optional ECC. the AdvenTech page has been showing.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Raiderman and TANWare like this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't know if this was posted here before or not, but here's some more news on Zen+ :
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...-17-faster-in-leaked-benchmarks/#75c889d92169

So, single threaded performance seems to have been boosted by ABOUT 5% and multithreaded up to 17%?

Clock speed bumps however could probably be higher... and as of yet, we still don't know what the end results will be with the final product upon release... plus GeekBench was spoofed before.
    Like anything else, I wouldn't be surprised to see these chips can be overclocked and undervolted to operate within the current TDP and temp. range with a higher clock count... but otherwise, its a good bump up... otherwise, I think we can easily wait for Rzyen 2 for a more substantial boost, unless precisionboost, etc. bring about better improvements.

Raiderman likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Not a big fan of AMD CPU / GPU rumors, or Intel ones for that matter.

It's a big disappointment for some here when release reality doesn't meet previous rumors expections, and then for some strange reason they blame AMD... very odd.

AMD should have countered the rumors with real results - before release... :D

Of course no company would do that, they wouldn't respond to some fanboy fantasy posts with information on performance before release. That's why everyone involved is under strict NDA and reviewers are under embargo dates to keep their results quiet until release.

Rumors are inevitably tantalizing, but best ignored in the long run and wait for actual results.

Raiderman, ajc9988 and triturbo like this.
  6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    What most do not realize is the TR bone stock does about 3000 on CB R15. Locked to all cores @4.0 GHZ it does about 3500, that alone is a 16% increase. So the new XFR 2 could possibly yield that alone tuned properly.

The problem with that is if XFR 2 uses up the overclocking headroom then we who do overclock will see less of an increase overall. This is why, for me, only 200 MHz would be a huge disappointment and one I would probably have to pass on.

ajc9988, hmscott, Ashtrix and 2 others like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
  8. Knight666

Knight666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I remember year ago Eurocom rumored Clevo laptop with Ryzen CPU? What about it? Whole idea died?

Damn... I'm still waiting for DTR with 1800X or gen2 ryzen for renders... 1700/1800 + 64gb RAM would do awesome Adobe job...

Sine MXM is dead, Intel CPU upgrades are dead (BGA or LGA... both is impossible to upgrade (chipsets, LGA changes, rude bioses...)...
    AMD AM4 in laptop is only hope to still receive upgradeable DTR.

I'm sick of waiting, if nothing happens I'll just buy a damn desktop and leave P650HS-G as my portable fun-machine (since it's better than P870DM imho... except extremely crappy speakers, P870DM had excellent ones).

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity... do you know about Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC?
    Ryzen 1700 (socketed), B350 motherboard, upgradeable to 32GB (but probably can go higher than that if you can find 32GB sticks), and RX 580 (soldered to the mobo yes, but does the job).
    We still don't know if Asus will release newer BIOSes for Ryzen+, 2 and 3 generations, but it's possible they might... in which case we will have a clear upgrade path.

So, as far as portable systems go, you might want to consider that one.
    Alternatively, get a desktop.

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Realistically that's what I would expect. Upgrading a CPU on every new incremental release is not typically beneficial, unless there are other feature or additional IO unlocks (removing bottlenecks) or other considerations, unless you can parley it into 2 machines, one with the "old" CPU and one with the new CPU, and you need a another CPU to build new machines you might as well build them on the new motherboard chipset and CPU.

Every other generation upgrade makes more sense, which is why AMD tuned the socket AM4 / TR4 support for 4 years, so you could get at least 1 beneficial CPU upgrade in that socket - if you start at the beginning of the socket cycle.

You definitely can't do that with Intel, at least not any more. I had several 1366 upgrades, but even so the OC'ability of that series of CPU's gave little reason to "upgrade" CPU's as well. My 920 was good for 4.0ghz on air, and even the 980x was a tough call, discounted after the 990x came out it finally made sense. By the time I wanted to build an 1155 the 2700K was out, and at 5.2ghz is still running strong. That socket topped out with my first build.

AM2 worked out well for me, AM3 as well, now AM4 / TR4 are a good run too.

With AMD vs Intel, if you don't have to have the fastest at any cost, you can work smart and tune your expectations to your real needs, and save 50% or more if you plan and shop well too. :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018