AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Both water cooling kits have flaws. Be quiet! Sielnt Loop 360 has uneven bottom plate and Corsair H115i water block is as you can see below a tragedy.

[​IMG]

Robbo99999 and Vasudev like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Videos for this post and other CES 2018 subjects:

CES 2018 - Events, Announcements, Video, Articles...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/ces-2018-events-announcements-video-articles.812625/

AMD Tech Day at CES: 2018 Roadmap Revealed, with Ryzen APUs, Zen+ on 12nm, Vega on 7nm

by Ian Cutress on January 8, 2018 12:01 AM EST
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/1223...ealed-with-ryzen-apus-zen-on-12nm-vega-on-7nm

"To mark the start of the annual CES trade show, AMD invited the press in early to sample the latest technologies coming to its portfolio in 2018. What was quite surprising is how much AMD exposed about their plans for 2018, detailing several product lines and launch times well in advance, with some blanks to be filled in later. The highlights include Ryzen APUs, the second generation of Ryzen built on 12nm using the ‘Zen+’ microarchitecture, and proliferating Vega into as many segments as possible, including a new Vega Mobile GPU range, as well as Vega coming to GlobalFoundries’ 7nm process."
    roadmap1.jpg

This is the CPU/APU product line, and along with new product lines, there are also some new refreshes.
    1. Ryzen 3 Mobile APUs: January 9th
    2. Ryzen Desktop APUs: February 12th
    3. Second Generation Ryzen Desktop Processors: April.
    4. Ryzen Pro Mobile APUs: Q2 2018
    5. Second Generation Threadripper Processors: 2H 2018
    6. Second Generation Ryzen Pro Desktop Processors: 2H 2018
    Also included at AMD’s event were a number of side announcements that we will also go into. This includes (but is not limited to):
    1. Reduction in pricing for current AMD Ryzen processors
    2. 400-Series Chipsets for AM4 Motherboards
    3. Custom Radeon Vega Designs
    4. Minor Information on Zen 2
    5. Overclocking Performance on Ryzen APUs
    6. A partnership with Enmotus FuzeDrive
    7. Wraith CPU Cooler Update
    8. New Laptops/Notebooks based on Ryzen Mobile
    * Please note that as this article has gone live, it is not complete. Over the last 12 hours, while at CES, I have been attacked by the 'CES Flu'. Normally I'm not affected, however it turns out that this year's strainis particularly strong and already hit a number of C-level executives. There's something about being at a trade show with 170,000 other people from around the world that screams 'sanitary'.

**Basically, I'll catch up with the rest of the AMD announcements as and when I can. We also have an interview with Dr. Lisa Su about AMD in 2018, which is being transcribed. Watch this space, and stay healthy."
    roadmap2.jpg
    x86_to_2020.jpg
    gpu_to_2020.jpg
    ryzen_mobile_skus.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    ajc9988 and Vasudev like this.
  4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    Threadripper 2nd Gen. :)

Vasudev, ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Not a lot of ThreadRipper info, except scheduled for 2H 2018...

Vasudev likes this.
  6. TANWare

Reputations:
    At least it is on the map. :)

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  7. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    At least we can extrapolate performance boost by seeing the speeds of Zen+ in April and any IPC increase.

What is more exciting is Vega 7nm. It is an efficient design and will be going head to head with the consumer 12nm Volta rumored to be called Ampere. By being on 7nm first, and Nvidia trying to bleed each node dry, so long as it has good memory throughput and good speeds (both of which seem likely from what is known), and maybe increased die size, they should be able to really eat into the GPU market. It seems that is the next goal with how well AMD did in the CPU market.

Then, seeing that the design is done for 7nm on CPUs suggest taping out soon, if not done so already. Exciting days ahead!

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  8. TANWare

Reputations:
    I am not holding my breath that 12nm will be a worthwhile upgrade to TR. I think 7nm will be though for TR.

Vasudev, hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  9. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    AMD All But Relinquishes High-End Desktop Graphics In 2018

A Gaping Hole In AMD’s 2018 Graphics Roadmap

It’s public knowledge at this point that NVIDIA plans to introduce a new lineup of gaming GeForce graphics cards based on its brand new Volta architecture this year. Unlike its competitor, NVIDIA has been following a strict yearly product roadmap since the beginning of the decade.

Like clockwork, every year since the introduction of Kepler in 2012, NVIDIA would deliver a high-end desktop graphics product that surpasses what precedes it.

On the other hand, AMD’s Radeon product cycle has seen far less consistency and as a result we’ve seen the company and its fans genuinely suffer at times. 2014 is one clear example when the company appeared to simply concede competition and resolved to a rebranding scheme that sent its market share tumbling to as low as 18% a year later, the lowest it has ever been since the acquisition of ATi a decade earlier.

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 and Vega 56 Left To Fend For Themselves Against NVIDIA’s Volta In 2018
    If we’ve learned one thing from AMD’s recently published 2018 graphics roadmap is that there’s going to be another product gap this year and we could perhaps be on track to see a repeat of 2014.

[​IMG]
    According to AMD’s most recently published graphics roadmap, 2018 is going to see a continuation of existing Vega 64 and Vega 56 graphics cards, with no new addition to the high-end desktop. Vega, which hasn’t been able to compete with NVIDIA’s GP102 based products like the GTX 1080 Ti, continues to be in short supply to date. What makes overall matters worse is that it will have to compete with a brand new roster of Volta products later this year.

Robbo99999 likes this.