AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Graphics Card Prices are on the Rise Again

The easiest thing to do would point a finger at a high demand of graphics card due to mining, but with the current trend, that doesn't seem to be it, or simply isn't just that.
    [​IMG]
    "The trend is even worse for AMD Radeon graphics cards, albeit there the shortage has been high overall for a long timeframe now, especially for Vega cards, of course. It remains unclear what precisely is invoking the prices to rise, perhaps it is ming, as Etherium still can be calculated well with a GPU."
    I wonder if some will lose in the end when people start keep their hardware longer than before, due greed. The wished increased income can instead be turned to loss who will hurt. People have tried pee in your pants before:D

Raiderman and Vasudev like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Why Building a Gaming PC Right Now is a Bad Idea [Part 2] Insane Graphics Card Prices!

3. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Why I am glad I got my 1080 TI when I did. Prices and availability are just insane right now.

Vasudev and Raiderman like this.
  4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I wrote this in response to another person's analysis, but it puts more context slightly different from just this:

What you are talking about is NOT just cryptomining. Instead, what is the problem is the RAM mfr. did not create enough and did not increase supply when it became understood that it was needed to produce goods. In addition, because of these trends, middlemen, retailers, and resellers through retailers, buy up supply, markup, then resell at obscene amounts. So your real problem is greed and willful decisions on the part of ram mfr. are what is at issues. In fact, I'm sure you've seen China is looking into price fixing for ram over the past 18 months. In addition, they are talking about not alleviating ram shortages until 2019. This may be in part to have the old versions clear from inventory so they don't get hit with that cost, with second gen HBM2, HBM3, DDR5 standard published this summer, GDDR6, there are so many emerging standards no mfr. wants to bank on the wrong one and eat it. But, with the decline in PC purchases over the past 15 years, generally, with people using their systems for longer, you have a hard situation of knowing when people will re-enter the market to replace aged machines, which has added to the uncertainty. Also, not knowing when crypto may dry up, you don't want to over produce and be stuck with worthless inventory. And that leads to a discussion of the season. We already know Nvidia is looking at Volta/Ampere products dropping in a couple months. At that point, the older cards sit in inventory even longer. AMD mentioned a 12nm refresh, but did not mention a Vega variant, which suggests maybe a polaris variant. If that is going to also release in a couple months, AMD cannot afford aging inventory. AMD did mention a 7nm Vega targeting commercial machine learning, which will likely use HBM2. So, I would blame ram manufacturers and the nature of the GPU industry wanting to get inventory channels clear for new releases MORE than just crypto, although crypto IS a part of the problem. I hope that gives more layers for examining the issue.

Raiderman likes this.
  5. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  6. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  7. ajc9988

Reputations:
    AMD only released the chip initially for 10, but backed up support to 7 (the most used windows version), after 10 was not ready when it was released. People were very happy to see that support.

Vasudev and Raiderman like this.
  8. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think we will continue to see that support, at least for the near future. If not, I'm out of the Windows desktop scene until they pull their head out of their orfices.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    AMD Announces Enmotus FuzeDrive technology to Speed Up Ryzen-based Systems
    "AMD today in a blog post announced the fruits of its partnership with Enmotus, a mainly enterprise-focused company that has made its name in creating performance-optimizing software solutions."

"L; DR: Essentially, the performance increase doesn't come from activating the FuzeDrive software on the Ryzen system; but from both activating it and adding a Samsung 950 Pro SSD to the system. How much of the performance improvement can be attributed to the added NVMe drive alone is a valid question, and we'd wager it's most of it. You can purchase a license to Enmotus' FuzeDrive for your AMD system for $19.99."

ajc9988, Raiderman and Vasudev like this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ryzen Mobile Gaming, What Can You Play? [Part 1] PUBG, Fortnite & More

Vasudev likes this.