AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Lol... your link, first post. :)

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's a bit early to discuss, I think I'll wait till more info is available. No sense figuring this out for Intel, let them do it themselves ;)

ajc9988 likes this.
  3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Fair enough and I completely understand that! I just like playing the speculation game sometimes! And I do try to follow the logic and what could potentially be coming down the road. Part of the joys of predictions. Then I will leave this here until more comes forth in the coming 9+months.

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    There will likely be announcements, teasers, and "leaks" to keep us interested in between times :)

ajc9988 likes this.
  5. ajc9988

Reputations:
    I hear you. I didn't even mention why I think it is core increases per CCX versus increased CCXs, but if it is increased CCXs, the potential results are mind boggling! But I won't say why!!!

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Ah, now I see what you are talking about. :)

It looks like that model's HP sale is over, sorry :(

Actually I was coming here to post this info on BestBuy's sale of their HP Ryzen 2500U model configuration, which is $749, higher than the old sale price on HP's site, but now - coincidentally :rolleyes: - lower than it is now at $804.99

That's probably why HP raised the price, so as to not undercut BestBuy's price:

HP - 2-in-1 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - HP finish in dark ash silver
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-2-i...sh-in-dark-ash-silver/6124570.p?skuId=6124570

I received an email about it from AMD:
    amd mailer1.JPG

The HP site model has bumped up RAM from 8GB to 12GB:
    • Windows 10 Home 64
    • AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U Quad-Core (2 GHz, up to 3.6 GHz, 6 MB cache) + AMD Radeon™ Vega Graphics
    • 12 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB, 1 x 8 GB)
    • 15.6" diagonal FHD UWVA micro-edge WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (1920 x 1080)
    • 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA
    • Office Software Trial
    • Security Software Trial
    • 3-cell, 55.8 Wh Lithium-ion prismatic Battery
    • No DVD or CD Drive
    • Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad
    • HP Wide Vision FHD IR Camera with Dual array digital microphone (Touchscreen)
    • Intel® 802.11ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo
    DOebVrnUEAACwwa.jpg
    https://twitter.com/LisaSu/status/929885959918845952

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    James D likes this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    HP is really getting greedy to be charging such hefty prices for a low end machine (it's pretty powerful/capable, but still low end).
    This machine shouldn't cost more than $400-$450 with 16GB RAM (2x 8GB).
    And The $805 price is with a 1TB HDD... they offer an SSD (256GB) for EXTRA $130.
    Excuse me but whom do these people think they are fooling?
    More importantly, how are they getting away with it?

Even worse, back in late 2008, I was able to get my Acer 5930G with P9650 CPU (2c./2th), 3GB RAM and a DEDICATED MID RANGE 9600m GT GPU (MXM no less) for £600.
    It's nearly a decade later and the prices are ridiculously high.
    What gives?
    This AMD APU system is not a mid range system by any stretch of the word... its a low end system (granted it's a lot more powerful than my Acer ever was in every single aspect and very capable in terms of modern consumer technology, but regardless)... and it's 9 years LATER...
    The fact people are expected to pay MORE (because in UK, the thing would be priced at £804.99) for a low-end system than what I paid for a mid-range system a a dGPU in 2008 is OBSCENE.

It's price gauging and artificial inflation.
    I know RAM got more expensive, but again, its artificial inflation.

Also, my GL702ZC costs roughly £1600.
    The AMD APU system is practically half the price, but it's nowhere near as powerful... it's not even a mid-range system. Mid range systems with mobile RX 580/GTX 1060 should be the price of this HP laptop.

There was an article about OEM's inflating the price of laptops with AMD APU's before to the levels of more powerful Intel/Nvidia systems which discouraged people from getting the AMD systems of course.
    They may not be building lousy systems by crippling performance (which has yet to be seen of course given that we just don't know how the cooling is implemented and whether they restrict TDP even more by preventing the APU from reaching its full potential/performance), but they still seem to be charging ridiculous prices.

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Before the Ryzen + Vega solution they all had underpowered ULV Intel CPU's, a few with a lowest end dGPU from Maxwell era.

HP / Dell / Sony / Samsung / LG have sold them in the $2k++ range or more base configuration, so offering a much better performing Ryzen + Vega for under $1k is a big deal - very reasonably priced for the segment :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    ajc9988 likes this.
  9. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:

I suspect these models are selling on different types of consumer expectation about what they're getting. Cost to performance is not necessarily everyone's top (or even close to top) priority. If something seems to have a price that doesn't match its value to you, you are likely not the intended buyer.

hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  10. ajc9988

Reputations:
    But, as is found in other segments, sometimes the lower cost product is actually better. I've bought plenty of overpriced POSes in my life. But, contra, I've also purchased cheap POS products when I should have just got the better one. It is an example of buyer beware. Not everything with a premium price is worth the ask, nor of the quality claimed. And there are times when the cheap will screw you worse than you think. Unfortunately, advertising only further obscures this, as does biased reviews. This is why we rely, often, on people we trust and know that have used it more than on what we see.

hmscott and Deks like this.