AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    One thing for sure... Prices will go up. SSD's, memory is already up:D Price of Silicon Wafer Continues to Soar

"SUMCO, which is a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturer, recently announced forecast of its performance for fourth quarter and estimated that price of 300mm wafer will be at least 20% higher than that from fourth quarter of last year. SUMCO is a leading silicon wafer manufacturer that is accounted for two-thirds of global silicon wafer markets along with Shin-Etsu Chemical."

“We are also planning to increase price of silicon wafer by 20% in 2018.” said CEO Hashimoto Mayuki of SUMCO. “Price of silicon wafer will continue to rise in 2019.”

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Bayonetta [HP Envy X360][720p][Ryzen 5 2500u][17.7]

Resident Evil 5 (w/ power)[1080p][40fps][Ryzen 5 2500U][17.7][OC stock]

3. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I have a feeling that one is going to be VERY popular when it launches.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I already have it.
    The RX 580 (despite benchmarks) behaves pretty much similar to a GTX 1060 performance wise and is capped to 68W.
    Asus could have made better cooling for the GPU and avoid loud noise that accompanies it, but still.

I was wondering though what is Ryzen's 1700 lid (Integrated heat spreader - IHS) made of?
    I am probably going to get another 16GB stick for this laptop this month (black friday) so I can get dual-channel on it, and while I'm in it, I will probably do a re-paste with GeLid Extreme.
    I was also thinking on getting Conductonaut Liquid Metal obviously as its the best, but I need to know if this would damage ryzen's lid (the heat pipes/heat sink as far as I know are copper based though).

Atma, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    IHS is nickel-plated copper. Liquid metal will be fine on it.

Papusan and Deks like this.
  6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Very useful. Thank you. I found similar info online, but it wasn't clear if the lid itself was made out of it or not.

Papusan likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The IHS is soldered with AMD CPU's, Ryzen 7 and TR, so no easy delidding. :)

Here's a delidding of the ThreadRipper IHS for your entertainment:

I don't recommend conductive TIM's, too much chance of droppings and drippings causing trouble. There are plenty of good non-conductive pastes that will do well enough.

I wouldn't re-paste at all though, why start out on that whole chain of re-pasting for a couple of degree's of temperature drop, especially when you aren't thermal throttling?

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    New AMD Radeon Software Crimson ReLive 17.11.2 driver (11/17/2017 ). Nothing mentioned.
    And please remember laping your lid. AMD's newer lid is trash. It's heavy concave. Intel's lid go same way as well.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  9. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Sounds like Oculus broke it since they don't support it any more, so maybe AMD hasn't addressed it because the retail ones are still fine?

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Will people get the truth? Nope. This can or will be easily moved under the carpet. From both.