AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    As he described the issues I thought, did you do a fresh OS install? And, he finally answered that, no he didn't, and when he did that the problems stopped.

We already knew there were teething problems upon release, as there are with other CPU and platform releases, I've had similar issues with Intel CPU releases over the years as well.

IDK if the z370 / z270 / z170 continuity should be considered a plus or a really aggravating minus, I guess the stability is nice, but the poor support for same socket CPU's across the line sucks. That makes it a definite no go for me as a recommendation.

The BIOS updates and improvements keep coming from AMD, and solid stability was there for fresh installs for everyone, noone else was complaining of issues like this, except for getting high RAM speed, but it's the same for Intel.

What I take away from the video and their long term experience is, pay attention to the basics, which I see everyone reminding everyone else here, I don't think it's a problem with Ryzen, it's a problem with the reviewers own build management.

tilleroftheearth and ajc9988 like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Wait a minute. They are blaming AMD compatibility issues on changes made by another program. Are they daft? Now, there may be a workaround on AMD's end, but it literally could have been the changes to the program itself that is the entire issue. Considering it worked with those cards before the update, why are they not placing blame on the **** coding? It literally is a hit piece.

4. Papusan

Reputations:
    It still work with Nvidia. Up to AMD to push out updated driver with a fix as Oculus no longer supports the DK2. I expect both Nvidia and AMD have a close dialogue with Oculus. This shoudn't come like a bomb on AMD.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  5. ajc9988

Reputations:
    First, it doesn't matter if it works with Nvidia or not in this case. If the programmer, in designing it, only considered and debugged for Nvidia drivers, without testing the effect on AMD, YOU GET THE SAME EXACT OUTCOME! That doesn't make it a driver issue, that makes it **** programming!

Second, just because AMD can work around the **** programmer's programming and lack of debugging, you cannot blame them for the sudden incompatibility. You don't even know, and seem to assume, Nvidia changed their driver beforehand and AMD did not. Without more information, that is pure speculation.

So, taken together, other than AMD supposedly knowing they were going to **** the code up when dropping support, where is this AMD's fault again?

Deks likes this.
  6. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Honestly, I wouldn't put it past AMD's driver team. History has shown them to have a lack of concern for backwards compatibility. Just ask Unwinder (RivaTuner/Afterburner/RTSS creator) how many times AMD driver updates have broken compatibility with his program. ;)

7. Papusan

Reputations:
    This doesn't help the AMD owners. Up to AMD to fix this now. Or forget it. We have to see what will come.

8. ajc9988

Reputations:
    The same driver worked before the update, then didn't after. If it was a new driver that came out from AMD, and installing that driver showed dropped support, I'd agree. Here, same driver, stops working after update. That sounds like software changes created the specific bug, not drivers.

I do agree, unless it isn't in the driver that the problem is found. Some things in code cannot simply be fixed by making changes in the driver. Think of all the borked games out there.

That is why I take issue with this article. It assigns blame without proof of blame.

Papusan likes this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    None know exactly who you should blame. AMD owners is Screwed if Oculus don't lift a finger for this... Then it's up to AMD to see what they can do. If both don't lift a finger... You then know the final outcome. Nvidia will win on this. The question is... Will AMD let them?

ajc9988 likes this.
  10. ajc9988

Reputations:
    It's not as much of a contest if it is being discontinued. That is the thing. Granted, no one wants immediately cut off, but there is a chance AMD cannot fix it on their end. If they cannot, then you are blaming them for things out of their control. That is what I take issue with. More info is needed tbh.

Papusan likes this.