AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, as long as you are spending more for the motherboard and memory, you might as well pop for the 8700k then, all together faster and more capable.

The 8400 BCLK OC will be ground under by Intel microcode updates through Windows updates, and if Intel starts shipping microcode updated CPU's, you'll be totally out of luck.

The 8400 locked to OC fits the B360 realm, budget builds.

Papusan likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Probably some who build the rig and is broke. Use all money on the rig and hope they can gather up more cash later for 8700K.

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Nah, noone is gonna waste $200 on a CPU to throw in the drawer, or wait another pay check or two, nope they'll get the Ryzen 1700 instead. :)

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Maybe throw the money instead of 8700K into...
    NVIDIA’s Upcoming Geforce GTX 1070 Ti Graphics Card Gets First Benchmarks Leaked Through AotS Database

"The GTX 1070 Ti gets an overall score of 6200, which is an acceptable score from the GTX 1070 successor. We have seen some highly overclocked 1070s reach this range but we have also seen lower clocked 1080s reach this range as well. All in all it looks like NVIDIA will finally be plugging the hole that the Vega 56 is sure to carve in its lineup. The most impressive thing however, is that the average frame rate in the normal batch is at an all time high. This is actually faster than all of the GTX 1070s and many of the GTX 1080s and goes on to show the potential this card could have once performance tuning is completed."

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Without DDR5x this GPU will be the darling of Mining. It'll sell well enough for mining to make it scarce for gaming.

And, when it kills the GTX1080 sales, the RX 56 will out perform whatever Nvidia has left on the shelf.

AMD and partners need to figure out how to deliver more RX 56 product to take advantage of this Nvidia bungle.

Papusan likes this.
  6. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    See:
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=3001&cmp[]=3097

I will always buy (more) physical cores over 'hyper' cores.

At the same price and higher performance (~8% and ~12% higher in the graph you show) of the Intel chip (at stock, as shown), I wouldn't support AMD for their bad behavior right now (an inferior chip).

While the pm 'score' shows them trading places between single/multithreaded workloads - there is still much optimizing to do yet for the newly introduced platform...

Yeah; I'm ignoring O/C'ing. But so will 99.1% of the people looking at these systems too.

With O/C'ing the AMD chip; even matching it; it doesn't, really. Not where long term stability/dependability and availability is concerned.

By the same token that you want to build an AMD kingdom; I applaud Intel for making AMD wake up (finally) - yeah; they were their muse. And for the benefits AMD made Intel give us back too.

We can't just see things from a single viewpoint. What's good for the goose and all... :)

Know what I mean?

7. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    The reality speaks otherwise. (Even) With all these screw-ups; they're still ahead. o_O

8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Really? I don't see it like that, their CPUs are more than competitive against AMD, there are some arguments for value wins for AMD when you take CPU & mobo into account, but they're not screwing up on the performance front. I think Intel's architecture isn't as scalable for increasingly more cores than AMD, but at this point with consumer 16 thread CPUs already out there I don't think there will be a PC demand for more cores than that for a while - software/games need to catch up with that first before more cores = more speed - that's my view point.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Got the laptop... basic setup done.
    But I'm having issues updating the GPU drivers since the AMD utility cannot recognize the GPU.
    After running the latest drivers utility from AMD, I keep getting an Error 173 saying: AMD installer cannot continue since AMD graphics hardware was not found.

The GPU however IS installed and I can see it in device manager as RX 580.

I might be able to manually update the driver by extracting the files from the installer and using the device manager

hmscott likes this.
  10. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Which notebook? What are the spec's?