AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    1070TI would be correct in laptops. Instead of the 1080Max-Q Scam. But would decrease nGreedia's earnings. Hope they loose the battle.

ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's the crazy thing about Nvidia, they are in slo mo lose mode lately.

They are too late with the 1070ti idea, it should have been the solution used instead of the 1080 Max-Q, sheesh!!

The 1080si idea would be killer in a laptop or desktop, a whole step up between the 1080 and 1080ti, lots more room for a full step up between those two than between the 1070 and 1080!!

!!'s are rolling off the keyboard thinking about this!!

Nvidia you could have had 2 great products, a "1070ti" and "1080si" instead of one stinky Max-Q 1080!!

ajc9988 and Papusan like this.
  3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Just remember guys, there is a chance that between SIGGRAPH and Q4, we might see a consumer Navi. If we do, I will buy that up, as a 7nm over a 12nm Volta. But, without more, I'll just pass on Pascal...

hmscott likes this.
  4. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    From what I see i5-8400 6 Core (182$) actually attacks BIG on Ryzen 1600 6 Core (220$) IF you can buy one for suggested price. Intel is waaaay faster gaming-wise AND cheaper! Although Ryzen comes with Cooler Intel has iGPU! So what leaves to AMD? Charity for competition and arguable overclocking to 4GHz which still isn't enough? Maybe cheaper motherboards and arguable hope for future games too buuuuut... you have something to think about. Good that Zen+ is coming soon.

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Awesome Hardware #0124-A
    48:45 AMD RX Vega finally supported by Afterburner.

AMD RX Vega finally supported by Afterburner
    MSI Afterburner Beta gets voltage control for RX Vega and GTX 1070 Ti

The latest Beta of Afterburner brings Vega overclocking support.
    https://videocardz.com/newz/msi-afterburner-beta-gets-voltage-control-for-rx-vega-and-gtx-1070-ti

"The Beta 19 of Afterburner 4.4.0 (the last version before going into 4.5.0 branch) has new low-level access to SMC microcontroller, which gives you the full control over Vega voltage. Of course, it works both ways, you can also undervolt the GPU. Although there is no per P-state control, a simple slider is working as intended.

This means that alongside AMD’s Wattman, Sapphire’s TRIX and ASUS’ GPU Tweak you have a fourth option for Vega overclocking.

I took Vega for a quick spin with Afterburner and the clock speed is similar to what I observed with my own Wattman overclocking. Below you can see my settings applied, also notice new GPU power consumption graph:"
    RX-Vega-Afterburner-OC.jpg
    Source: Guru3D

6. hmscott

Reputations:
    No Intel CPUs with "Vega Inside" are coming soon
    Vega is an Intel employee, not AMD's GPU architecture
    https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/no_intel_cpus_with_vega_inside_are_coming_soon/1

"No Intel CPUs with "Vega Inside" are coming soon

Yesterday the following image leaked online, with Intel's corporate styling and the term "Vega Inside". This slide sent the internet on fire with new rumors that Intel would be licensing GPU tech from AMD, despite recent confirmations to the contrary.

The usual rumor mills alleged that Intel was creating a mobile CPU with a Vega GPU to a future mobile CPU, given the use of the term "mobile performance" after the term "Vega Inside", though the truth behind the image is something that is interesting, but has absolutely nothing to do with any of these recent rumors. "
    11044033636l.jpg
    "This image is from an employee appreciation campaign from Intel, which highlights the achievements of Intel's staff by using the standard Intel "X Inside, Y Outside" marketing formula. See an example of this below.

So what about Vega? Well, in this case, the image is about an Intel employee called Vega, who seemingly works as part of Intel's mobile team. This means that this has nothing to do with AMD's Vega architecture, which means that we should not expect Intel CPUs with Gaming-oriented levels of GPU performance anytime soon.

From the start, it was pretty obvious that these rumours were false, as even if Intel licensed AMD's technology they would not market it as such, using their own brand name rather than give their competitor a huge PR boost. We are also yet to see Vega-based APUs from AMD yet, which makes it far too soon for Intel to be preparing their own, again giving these rumors a red flag. "

Is Intel Trolling AMD? - Confirmed ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Interesting developments in the 8700k reviews with reviewers caught accidentally OC'ing the CPU at stock because the motherboard BIOS defaults enabled Multi-Core OC + All Core Sync, running all the cores at 4.7ghz instead of stock boost.
    wide variance in 8700k Cinebench results.jpg
    Dropping the boost clocks down to stock changes the results dramatically, and Ryzen 7 1700x jumps ahead of the 8700K, with Ryzen 5 1600x much closer than original benchmarked.

This appears to be done to pump up the "stock" scores of the 8700k because the "real stock" 8700k scores are below the Ryzen 7 1700x without the OC boost.

AdoredTV video explaining the issue
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...coffee-lake-z370.809268/page-17#post-10614718

Jayz2cents explaining the mistake, and retesting the 8700k at "real stock" boost speeds.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...coffee-lake-z370.809268/page-17#post-10614749

8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I was reading about this briefly over on Guru3D. I find it hard to believe that reviewers wouldn't realise this prior to their testing & when they were testing, so to me it's kind of crazy that reviewers missed this! I'm not sure I believe the conspiracy theories though.

hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    The hidden motherboard "auto" OC was one problem, and 4 or more of the reviewers got caught out not watching frequencies, power, and other monitoring while running the benchmarks - they completely missed the 8700k OC to 4.7ghz on all 4 cores... amazing.

Jayztwocents got further caught out by messing up the memory OC when doing the Ryzen OC CB and other tests. It's easy to do, the motherboard resetting the memory OC to stock once a failure occurs in the CPU OC and changes are made.

So Jay's results were skewed in both the stock test in Intel's favor, and in the OC test in Intel's favor.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...coffee-lake-z370.809268/page-17#post-10614749

Jay's rerun of the benchmarks came up with the opposite result, this time Ryzen 7 1700x in stock and OC tests scored higher than the Intel 8700k:
    Retested 8700k at real stock boosts vs Ryzen with real stock + real OC.jpg

Robbo99999 and ajc9988 like this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    VRM & PCB Analysis of ASUS ROG Strix Vega 64