AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    We will see a lot fun. From your own post:D

hmscott and Robbo99999 like this.
  2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Will be interesting to hear how you get on with that RX 580, I've seen very little about such laptops, so will be good to hear about it from you.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Argghh, that freaks me out how much voltage that thing would want to pump through that 8700K to reach 5.4Ghz! I've never been a fan of auto/1 button overclocking, the voltages used are insanely high! With manual overclocking through trial & error & testing by the user you can end up at a lot lower voltage normally.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Wait an 8 core AMD chip marginally beats out the 6 core Intel chip in a single benchmark? Mind blown. AMD really has something there. Never mind it loses is basically all other tasks and is substantially slower in all games. Ryzen certainly is an amazing chip. :rolleyes: Just imagine how bad the Ryzen chip would look compared to an Intel chip of same IPC/speed with 8 cores/16 threads. Yikes.

tilleroftheearth and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Ryzen CPU's are clocked 1ghz slower than Intel's, and still beating or matching performance, so if the mhz race narrows in future releases, Intel is going to have problems keeping up. AMD is going to catch up faster in mhz than Intel is going to be releasing 8 cores.

The benefits of remaining on the same AM4/TR4 will continue to pay off for AMD system builders. The difference in performance now is far less than the difference in immediate cost and long term cost.

AMD's market share will continue to increase, while Intel's market share will continue to decrease.

It's best to invest in AMD now than the declining Intel market share and performance gap.

6. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It doesn't match performance at all my friend. Take this example of the i5 8400 at a max 3.8Ghz when all cores are loaded up, vs the Ryzen R5 1600 with an all 6 core speed of 3.2Ghz? (not sure). Regardless that isn't 1Ghz difference in clockspeeds.. Not only that the Intel chip is negative 6 threads that the 1600 has. The Intel chip wins some, loses some, and comes close in others. When it comes to gaming it pretty much hands Ryzen a smack down.

While I'll agree with you that long term it looks like you should be able to upgrade your CPU on the AMD platform with AMDs pledged support, that doesn't mean it won't be missing new features, possibly performance improvements. Companies lie. Looking at you MSI. I suppose if you're on a super budget and want long term CPU upgrades Ryzen has it's appeal, but I think people need to be more realistic about the gaps in gaming performance. Claiming budget friendly, but also saying you need to bench at 1440p or 4K is just silly. Either you're on a budget or you're buying expensive monitors, pick one.

tilleroftheearth and hmscott like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Narrow clock speed is one thing. The question is can it same time Overclock on same level as Intel? Or will the Oc headroom be eaten up due raised stock clocks?

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    OC is a fantasy construct. Clocks are clocks, whether it's all accounted for in the stock operating range, or extended with OC.

The Intel advantage is all due to clock advantage, if AMD can extend the clock speed in the next couple of CPU releases it's already got the core advantage and the consistent socket / motherboard continuity.

Intel still needs to go through another motherboard change with z390 to get 8 core, and it's not known if that CPU will be the same architecture or if Intel will try a process jump as well as an architecture, it's risky either way for Intel.

AMD owners can keep upgrading CPU's moving forward as speed, architecture, and process improve, while Intel fans will need to buy new motherboards - basically a whole new build each time.

9. hmscott

Reputations:
    When I said 1ghz apart, I meant at maximum speeds for both platforms. AMD 4.2ghz, Intel 5.2ghz, or AMD 4.0ghz vs Intel 5.0ghz, whatever the gaming set up is and the differences in scores.

It's a range of speeds, where the Intel is clocked much higher than AMD right now, yet the results are compared as if equal.

When the AMD clocks are able to be the same as Intel's, then the scores will reflect a more equal comparison :)

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The RX 580 as tested thus far showed no signs of throttling while gaming in reviews and its performance is pretty good. It trails the 1060 mobile in DX11 by about 5%, while being faster in DX12.

It was only when an artificial benchmark was run that stressed the whole system to the extreme (both CPU and GPU) that there might have been some concerns about throttling on the GPU or temperatures on it - which begs the question, why hadn't Asus optimized the GPU for each system individually in that case or added more efficient cooling for it - they did that for the CPU, but not the GPU.

But, that kind of scenario is unlikely to be representative of ANY real-world use.
    I have yet to see even rendering software that's stressing the GPU and CPU simultaneously to the levels those artificial benches do.

Though, undervolting the GPU should (at least theoretically) be possible.

hmscott

To answer your question on where I ordered it from... it was LaptopsDirect.
    Price: £1566... but I joined Which for £1 for just 1 month and that took off £15 off the laptop - which I used for 'next day delivery' for £10 (I probably just should have selected the free delivery as it would have gotten here sometime next week).

Either way, even with the extra £10, I spent in total £1561 - so, LESS than what I would have paid on Overclockers UK website - though OCUK seems like a more reliable website.
    Oh well, LaptopsDirect is reputable as well (I remember using it to recommend new laptops to people within their budget years ago).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Robbo99999 and hmscott like this.