AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    If they recommend 1.35 are they doing so knowing the chips are being driven to 1.5 plus as on that Zenith board at times? It seems most boards have that behavior in overclocking. I am sure when they were trying it out it did the same thing then too. Maybe spikes at up to 1.5 are OK then but it would be nice to have an answer on that from AMD.

EDit; I set 4.0@1.38125 and HW monitor shows a max of CPU VCORE as 1.376 but running R15 it goes to 3.34, So I guess that is fine. I am trying 1.375 and under load it goes to 1.328 in HW monitor, so I am guessing this is better.

CB_Image_2.jpg

CB_Image_1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Could you undervolt on stock clocks as low as it will go and see the temps you are getting along with power draw?

hmscott likes this.
  3. TANWare

Reputations:
    Do you mean at 3.4 GHz fixed? I know with auto the voltages @ stock go insanely low even under full load.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yup... just curious if its possible to undervolt TR to the point of increasing its efficiency even more.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    My max OC is 4.175. If I try 4.2, no matter the voltage, the system crashes. My most recent stable clock is 4.125 @1.38 but I am not going to use that as my daily. I'll stick to my 4.0/4.025 for everyday use.

TANWare, ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Same version Wprime? Can’t compare 2.10 with 1.55

What’s the correct IPC difference between Intel vs. Ryzen? 12.5% more cores and IPC on top should push numbers a bit up.

7. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I used 1.55, meant for submission to HWBot. So, I don't know if comparable. I use what is meant for competition, you know that (if he is benching and bragging, like here, he should be using the right version also).

IPC is supposedly just under 10%. But, when comparing multi threaded scores, you have to look at latency and SMT vs HT, which SMT is much faster, closing the IPC gap in part. This is why I did the 18 to 16 core discount by multiplying by 8 the score achieved, then dividing by 9 (it is 12.5% more cores compared to a 16 core, but is the opposite ratio to scale down the score). But his 4.2 on air on a Noctua is less than a custom loop 4.2 score in many accounts I've seen (I'm saying he likely has throttle issues). That is why you cannot accurately compare them. We do not know the skill level of the person benching the 18-core either, which is problematic.

Papusan likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Yeah, That he don't know what version being used on hwbot, ain't exactly promising:cool:

ajc9988 likes this.
  9. TANWare

Reputations:
    It seems with the Zenith using those higher voltages where needed from the CPU itself that most are obtaining overclocks at lower set voltages. The Taichi may not OC as high but I know the voltages are always at the safe level under load etc. under 1.350 with 4.0 GHz. I am not sure how others feel with HWMonitor reporting over 1.5 on the VCore at times. I wouldn't be able to allow it.

I found a bug here. When overclocked in W10 Pro I get R15=3462 after boot. If it goes to sleep the OC shows all good but performance drops in the 2900's until reboot. If at CPU stock I get R15 = 3025 even after awoke from a sleep.

hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  10. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    The taichi firmware also gives higher results at lower multipliers. So don't worry about that as much as not getting the higher OC.

For sleep, it could be os, could be a microcode bug, firmware, etc. But definitely good to know. I'll pass it along to someone working on helping with the taichi firmware in case.

hmscott likes this.