AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The big reason for little, to no, forgiveness with Vega is because it took two year for them to get it to us from the original launch time frame. Even if we did not have it for that two years they did and they then had more than ample time to have the drivers ready and optimized.

Mr. Fox, hmscott and Papusan like this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    TANWare, Rage Set and hmscott like this.
  3. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Wow, a triple 480 rad configuration. Sounds like an insane build bro.

ajc9988 likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    CHEAPEST X370 Board!!?? Gigabyte AX370-Gaming Review
    What not to buy...

5. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    All things consider, while I am happy with my Zenith, if I were choosing an X399 mobo presently I would choose the Taichi. To be fair to Asus, they are normally great with BIOS updates long after their boards have launched. I hope Asus sees what Asrock has done with the manual voltage and get their act together.

He's very unlucky with his CPU. I am completely stable at 4.025. With the new fans and some adjustment, I idle at 32C and never go above 68C at full load.

ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, there are many that I have heard getting above 4.0ghz, production purchases, so his earlier comments about engineering vs production performance is mis-leading, he just got some (one?) bad production unit(s).

It looks like with full coverage (full TR4 heatplate) and water cooling you can expect better than 4.0ghz, unless you are unlucky.

I wish Silicon Lottery would put back the % of each bin they find in the last batch they tested - I haven't seen them post it with each bin part listing for a while...

Rage Set likes this.
  7. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I hope to be lucky as well, but again too I'll be on the Enermax AIO.

Rage Set likes this.
  8. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    That will be a crazy build, but overkill is the name of the game (want to run a bench comp after I have it up and running?)...

I figured you were, and it is a good board. But that is why you see me having to go to others to find info on troubleshooting on the Zenith. We just don't have an equivalent.

And he is, but I wonder if his issue is not enough cooling, in part. Same here with 3.85, which is why I need better cooling.

And that is because (regarding SL) you could do the math and decide to risk it in the general market or not. Not so good for certain chips.

hmscott and Rage Set like this.
  9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm not disputing that AMD does have some interesting forward looking features that could become more significant in future games.

You say that Pascal can't undervolt. With desktop cards you can effectively undervolt by overclocking (without added voltage) to the max stable overclock, and then you lower the power slider - this cuts out the usage of the high voltage points on the curve and optimises the frequency for each voltage points used - it's essentially the same effect as undervolting.

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    ajc9988, Robbo99999 and hmscott like this.