AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Oh... I was wondering what the MSRP of 580 was.
    $229 is actually fine.
    A minor boost in clocks with a better silicon seems about right vs $200 for 480.
    Considering the mucking about manufacturers do in not undervolting the cards on those stock clocks as low as they will go, I find their inflated prices too much.

I realize the prices have gone up due to mining... I'm comparing 'regular' non-inflated prices.

It just demonstrates that AMD isn't only good for lowered prices... it provides a product that is just as efficient (if not more so - when of course manually undervolted) while performing better than the competition.

Stock for stock... Nvidia GPU's are actually worse off because they cannot seemingly undervolt without underclocking as well.
    The 1060 boosts to about 1708 MhZ... RX 480 boosts to 1288 MhZ (and 1300, or 1350 MhZ with an undervolt on a good silicon gives better performance for AMD while dropping power consumption to 1060 levels or lower).

Factoring in undervolting... doesn't that make AMD's architecture overall BETTER than Nvidia considering it can achieve same efficiency and better performance than competing Nvidia products on lower clock speeds?

Just because a GPU performs better and can be more efficient doesn't mean you have to charge more for it.
    Look at Ryzen.

DataShell and hmscott like this.
  2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    I ended up going Asrock Taichi. 1950x, evga 1000w gold, 32 GB 3433 x399 ram, 1tb Muchkin, LG 16x BR burner, card reader, Thermaltake x31 RGB, 3tb HDD, free 120GB SSD (Linux). I did not order W10 yet as once built I want to look at W10 LTSB.

I have the Enermax TR4 on its way already. I would be so stoked if I can get 4.1 GHz but I am happy so far with my choices.

Edit; GTX 1080 TI Asus ROG

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Papusan, TBoneSan, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  3. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    4.1 is very possible. I am rocking 4.0 as my everyday speed. Temps at idle are 29C and full load (AIDA64) 68C. I'm working on 4.1.

hmscott likes this.
  4. TANWare

Reputations:
    I have heard a few people say the Asrock board is a bit better for OC so that is why I went that direction. I would even love 4.0 as an every day, so we shall see. I know 4.2 is almost a no hope for, but here is to hope. :)

I really am hoping though more so than 4.1 GHz but the 3433 on the ram through XMP.

Rage Set and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Rage Set and bennyg like this.
  6. TANWare

Reputations:
    The problem is Vega as a product is holding back AMD. AMD as a product and stock was doing ok until the Vega failures. This to me smells of Ryzen mobile/Vega APU troubles. AMD could not afford those if true.

7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Speculation is fraught with disappointment :)

For us I don't see the performance being up to our needs for any of the APU's, unless they can fit it in a tablet or 2in1, it'll be a low end laptop for students and entry level gamers.

Although AMD may well sell far more of them to that market segment than to us in the high end segment, I doubt they will be as fussy about power requirements as long as the heat is dissipated well and quietly.

Given the current / previous APU's, I don't see how Ryzen + Vega APU's could be worse :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  8. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    It was bound to happen, what with Volta being a year off... Nvidia needs something to throw out there.

The RX Vega 56 runs like a stock 1080 when tuned, the RX64 above that, so Nvidia is going to have a tough time slotting a 1070ti. If the 1070ti is just under a 1080 then the AMD RX Vega GPU's are still faster, and if the 1070ti is a "cheap 1080" I would have to assume there will be a 1080+ too?

IDK could be made up completely, it makes no sense to fracture the market with 2 1070's below the 1080, and neither does reducing the price for the 1070 - why when Nvidia are selling all they make would they need to reduce the price?

Papusan likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    What Nvidia is doing now for desktops, is what they should done for laptops. But they pushed instead hard for Max-Qrippled and more cash:no: A screwed up company. Maybe we will see TI for laptops now as well? More milking on same tech?:bigconfused: