AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So basically the Vega RX 64 is the same performance as a GTX 1080. In that case what's the point in choosing it; I heard it consumes more power than the GTX 1080, is it cheaper at least?

hmscott likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Probably a bit cheaper and good for mining. Amd can't charge same prices vs. Nvidia for about same performance. If they did, it would be the same as shooting them self in the head. Or ask for problems.

Robbo99999, ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree with you it's not a great proposition when you take all the goddamn hype into account. But;

Vega is a more forward looking architecture and when/if its full feature suite is optimised for - hbc, dx12 with async compute, dsbr, tbr, fp16 shaders etc - I think it'll be clearly faster than 1080. IMO it depends on whether they can stay on top of the driver situation, and whether they can get devs to optimise for Vega (that didn't happen early enough with Fury)

Next gen consoles being AMD powered will help, you'd have to think console ports will be better optimised for Vega over the next couple of years due to shared technologies

I think it'll be just like Ryzen, launch reviews will be "meh" but in two or three months it'll shift to a more positive general opinion once the low hanging fruit optimisations work through in updates and the bugs are worked through.

I just hope that AMD have enough so those +@%£*ing miners don't buy them all. But I spose AMD and therefore the whole market wins either way as the worst thing for us all would be a broke AMD and Nvidia monopoly

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    These comments are based on rumored benchmark results, so it might all change when the information embargo is lifted Monday, and we get results from lots of sources.

If you check the chart even the RX 56 OC matches 1080 performance. 1080 OC is a bit better, but either RX GPU will be a good match for Ryzen and ThreadRipper for top AMD GPU performance - pick your price and your power usage :)

The RX 64 will perform better, draw more power, cost more, just like the difference between 1070 and 1080.

The chart doesn't list the RX 64 liquid cooled model performance, it draws more power and costs a bit more, hopefully it pulls away from the air-cooled version enough to make it worth while for the extra cost.

We may not get accurate performance comparisons between RX 64 air and water-cooled right away, as I don't think anyone has both to review at the same time.

As with most new GPU's, it's going to take time for the reviewers to get a handle on how to get the best performance from them, and AMD and game developers need time for optimization of drivers and games.

The MSRP is rumored, not announced, IDK if Monday is going to reveal the price, but the reviewers will get to publish first benchmark results.

Given the supposed mining performance, there likely will be limited quantities for gamers, even with AMD's efforts to get them to gamers first, so if you want one get it when you can, they might go out of stock quickly everywhere and continue like that for a while.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 10:03 AM
    Robbo99999, ajc9988 and Papusan like this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's interesting how Nvidia pairs the *only* consumer GPU faster than AMD GPU's with AMD ThreadRipper, at the same time recognizing AMD's superior CPU performance and Nvidia's slight edge in GPU performance :)

I doubt there will be many building a new computer that will want to pair an Nvidia 1080ti with an AMD CPU when the AMD RX 64 liquid cooled comes close enough in performance.

Why give Nvidia the cash when AMD went through all that trouble to make such nice GPU's, providing us all an alternative to the Nvidia monopoly? :D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 10:04 AM
    Papusan likes this.
  7. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Price is fixed. The MSRP is correct, although certain retailers plan to gouge at release. Newegg and Amazon confirmed selling at the MSRP at release. That means prices are roughly the same as their green counterparts. But, there is new and futureproofed elements to these cards which do help (that HBCC, for instance) the makes it something to consider.

It definitely should be. Anthony, another Auzzie reviewer with Tweaktown, had his card flown out to him as well and will have the hashrate in his review tomorrow. Also, with AMD, due to the HBCC, it can move anything that cannot fit in the HBM to the SSD, which will likely mean you will not get an out of memory message if you mine. It is a hell of a value, if the hash rate is 60-70MH/s

It isn't the miners you have a problem with, it is the people that buy them, then increase the price to double and resell them, thereby driving up market price artificially and making it impossible for others to get them at a decent price. Although shortages happened, look at it from a business standpoint: 1) you have aging inventory which likely wouldn't be purchased by gamers which has cleared the inventory channels, allowing you to recoup that cash instead of doing an inventory write-down (think RX 200-400 series cards) (this is great for R&D and working capital); 2) because the 400 and 500 series were so similar, they were competing against themselves, mostly, at that price point (Nvidia has the 1060 there, but...); and 3) the real gripe with miners is they make the market uncertain as to how many cards to produce without leaving a large, aging inventory, especially with the market getting flooded AFTER mining with those cards is not providing enough return. This last one is your real gripe!

See above on the MSRP. It is set, just retailers are gouging ahead of time because of miners. Also, there will only be limited amounts at release. Further, they are releasing the 56 two weeks later so that miners blow their load on the more expensive product while giving the excellent price to performance ratio to the gamers. Then, just a week later, third party cards should be released, which will alleviate some of the inventory thinness in channels, thereby meaning we'll have a fair supply over the coming months and it isn't as much of a worry unless you live in a card-strapped country (which then, I feel for you).

Robbo99999, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Prices have been announced, along with the "packs", but we don't know the % split between packs and single cards yet, or how access / pricing is going to be controlled - AMD is said to be trying to get retailers to only sell at MSRP and not let pricing increase - I wonder if AMD will pull back on supplying vendors that gouge?

The scalpers are always an issue, with the mining advantage there's likely even more reason for scalpers to take interest.

I'm hoping limiting sales to 1 or 2 per person will help a bit, but I know scalpers send out teams of people to get around that too.

I hope AMD doesn't hold back on continuing production and floods the market with them while the demand is high, now's the time to cash in - before Nvidia pumps out a response for the weak willed performance junkies ;)

Good news for AMD if the coinage miners can get good results on a wide range of currency, then even if Nvidia comes out with a response it will likely not match AMD's mining advantage.

ajc9988 and Papusan like this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Read. Use Google translate once again:D

hmscott likes this.
  10. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think even if it is the same as 1080, it is a good thing. It promotes choice and that is what we need right now. Games like Doom 2016 where the Vulkan API makes AMD cards perform much better than NVidia so even if the numbers look the same, architecturally there will be innovation that will differentiate the GPUs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott, ajc9988 and Papusan like this.