AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Which AIO are you using currently?

2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    TT (thermaltake) water 3.0 ultimate (360mm) with 6x Noctua iPPC 3000 fans in push/pull. It has my 6700K running 4.8/4.7 cache@1.43V under 70C (full stability under multiple high power consumption stress tests). In fact, you can go to hwbot (same user handle) and check the temps I get while running 5.0 and 5.1 ghz overclocks using it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Edit: sorry, only one has the temps on it. Here:
    [​IMG]

3. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    Shoulda just looked at your sig, lol. That's a beast.

ajc9988 likes this.
  4. ajc9988

Reputations:
    If I can do that with a quad core on an AIO, I'm pretty sure I can do decent with most hardware. Intel disappointed on the HEDT this round, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with Ryzen. If I don't use an AIO, I'll pick up a full cover plate, a pump/res combo, and a 480x120, then put that in push pull. I think with just VRM and CPU (and chipset if they are included in the full cover blocks this time), that will be a good start. Have to just verify if I can afford it (costs came up and ruled out the water chiller to start, although it will come). Meanwhile, that intel rig, sans the Trident Z, will find a new life as a super router/firewall/squid/AV. Figure 2xquad port Gb NICs using PCIe 2.0 x4 slots should have enough throughput for the LAN and WAN (overkill in fact, but will support medium to large enterprise features I couldn't get if I sold the components and purchased those items separately for my network, especially based on costs).

5. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    None of the built in ones (like the Maximus) support chipset yet, I don't think. But I think I saw an EKWB that does.

ajc9988 likes this.
  6. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Well, we haven't seen a need for chipset since around X99 boards, which did include it. That is why I'm leaving it open until I see what EKWB and Bitspower drop (they produce full cover blocks, not that they are the best water blocks out, although they are quite good).

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Buyer Beware! Reports Of Fake Ryzen CPUs Popping Up On Retail Sites
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-fake-cpu-amazon,35027.html

by Steven Lynch July 17, 2017 at 4:10 PM

"There are a number of reports of fake Ryzen processors being sold by third party sellers on retail sites such as Amazon and eBay.
    Although this is the first time we have seen fake Ryzen processor for sale, the scam isn’t new. In the past, we have seen counterfeit Core i7 processors sold by reputable retailers, as well as fake AMD A-Series A8-7600 processors making the rounds on Amazon.

In this case, it seems the crooks behind the caper used low-cost Celeron processors for the scam. The process works something like this: The scammer buys a handful of legitimate high-dollar AMD Ryzen 7 1800X processors, scans the CPU heatspreader, and then prints a sticker and applies it to the face of the fake CPU (in this case an old Celeron processor). The scammer returns the counterfeit processor to the box, reseals it, and then sells it on eBay / Amazon. This type of scam works because the counterfeit processor looks authentic from the outside of the package.
    Sometimes, the fake product is actually meant to scam the retailer.

As some of you are aware, retailers often place returned merchandise back in active inventory and resell it. It could also end up on Amazon’s Warehouse Deals site, after which the fake product ends up in the hands of a retail customer.

It's unfortunate that these things happen, but there are a few things you can do to prevent falling victim to this type of scam. Avoid third-party sellers on sites like Amazon, Newegg, Wal-Mart, and others. Pay for purchases with a credit card or services like PayPal that offer hassle-free refunds."

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Build w/ GTX 1080 Ti - New 4K Rendering PC

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    ajc9988 likes this.