AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    AMD Ryzen 14nm Wafer Yields Pass 80% - Threadripper CPUs on track-Guru3.com

"Good news for and from AMD, the yields for fabbing AMD Ryzen processors seem to be reaching strong values and are reaching numbers passing 80% for fully the functional 8-core parts. Ryzen is fabbed using a 14nm FinFet process. That fabrication node has been in use and refined for over a year now."

" Dang you guys, we have a wild Summer loaded with new technology ahead of us !"

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    The problem with getting Intel or AMD to give up BGA is you have to give them a financial reason, We here do not have the consumer power to do so. This being raise all the fit you want it means absolutely nothing. As far as mobile the sheepeople want thin and light not caring that much about upgradability. So we may not like it but we are stuck with it.

If personally as a consumer you care about upgrade ability then by all means purchase the desktop hybrid machine. I just can not in good faith drive even the sheepeople to it as then it is serving my wants at their expense. You have to recommend on a consumers needs not your own wants and feelings.

You have to look at it this way too. This is the reason Clevo and those others stay in business. If every system were gaming monster trucks looking out to kill the competition where would they be?

Back on topic;

https://www.techpowerup.com/233495/amd-ryzen-2000-series-processors-based-on-refined-14-nm-process

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  3. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    That is exactly why I'm irked when called a 'fanboy' about anything.

As I always state: I'm a fan of pure and unadulterated performance/productivity for the longest term of ownership possible. I don't have the patience, expertise or time to dabble in modding and overclocking to achieve my goals for the many dozens of workstations I am responsible for; I simply use by brain cells to pick the best that is available 'now' that will hopefully still be giving me the best in the foreseeable and emotionless future.

Having 2% or even a 20% advantage on a platform is easily wiped out with a day or worse; a few days of total and usually catastrophic downtime. The current quarter mile champion isn't who gets my money. I bank on the platform that is the most consistent and reliable over the long term. This isn't fanboism - it is something that is earned day in and day out actually using the systems in question.

No amount of marketing will shake/replace that level reliability/dependability and performance that has been my benchmark for the last decade or so now...

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Please, stop with the swearing. Are you a juvenile having a temper tantrum when it doesn't get it's way?

NVMe isn't obsolete; SSD drives based on it are in most of the chassis/platforms (notebooks) that are available - if you want real work done with your storage subsystem... Why? They throttle and they throttle bad. My experience once again. IF YOUR EXPERIENCE DOESN"T MATCH MINE: ignore what I write; but don't state fallacies that you know nothing about.

I don't ask others about your abilities; I'm able to detect them fine on my own.

As for the people you think have blocked me? Who are you? Their mother?

I'm not being duplicitous. This topic is not as one sided as you're making it out to be.

Discussing Intel (or any other relevant competitor) in this thread is pertinent to the conversation.

At least; for those that want to discuss real info and not be spoon fed marketing and theoretical platitudes that may or may not be brought to fruition better than (or equal to...) their competitors in due time.

It is telling that I can seem to have an intelligent conversation with almost anyone else here except you? I've asked you before; let's try to bridge whatever artificial gap there is between us. Sadly; you only seem capable of making that gap bigger, instead.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
  5. TANWare

Reputations:
    OK, please stop the infighting. Discussing Intel where competition exists is fine, discusing non AMD tech where it is irrelevant is not. Swearing beyond the TOS has to be stopped by all as well. Next person here swearing, name calling etc. is getting BANNED no more playing, this is now enough.

So now who wants to test the waters and be my first disciplinary action as a MOD?

Papusan, Mr. Fox and tilleroftheearth like this.
  6. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    In other news, ancillary to the CPU, an interesting analysis of the 14nm+ process being used in the second Vega cards next year. Keep in mind the news that already AMD has achieved 80% yields per wafer with 14nm. Also, in the party that says smaller is cheaper and leaves more margin, remember newer node shrinks cost more until research has recouped and any retooling or changing production lines has occurred.

http://wccftech.com/amd-working-14nm-vega-2-0-compete-nvidias-volta-2018/

Edit: also, although not mentioned, saw an interesting article discussing waiting on HBM2 for consumer cards yesterday (which makes sense as, for about two quarters now, or slightly less), it has been known availability of HBM2 is limited until the second half of this year.

Further, unless Nvidia makes strides on minimums (FPS) to compete with the HBCC, Vega should still perform well, comparatively. Now, the question is how good 14nm+ will be, both on the CPU and GPU side, moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
    Papusan and ChanceJackson like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ryzen Buying Guide: R7 1700 vs. R5 1600 vs. R5 1400

ASRock X370 Killer SLi Motherboard Review + Linux Test

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Rage Set, ajc9988 and Papusan like this.
  8. TANWare

Reputations:
    My only issue is he talks about towards the end that for "Main stream use" the cost of 8 cores does not make sense. Well for main stream use it does. It may not today for gamers but this is not the main reason for PC's. for Gamers the new ThreadRippers will probably make no sense at all.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Rage Set and ajc9988 like this.
  9. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Building on that, even the 1700X is seeing price sales putting it, at times, at the same cost as the 1700, while the 7700K, with its bug, is seeing sales below $300 at times.

The argument that anything over 6 for mainstream is too much is predicated on old software designed with artificial limitations around Intel designs. This will change with either software updates or new software. Instead, this is a copout for lack of parallel processing support/optimization than true information, and is often not given with proper caveats.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

10. TANWare

Reputations: