AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    AMD has revealed more information on the Ryzen family of CPU microarchitectures and it appears AMD IS might be ready to fight Intel like the old days. AMD is also close to launching their consumer Vega GPU's to counter Nvidia's next gen GPU's.

Coming Soon:

Consumer HEDT Platform: Ryzen Threadripper, Up to 16c/32t

Enterprise Platform: Epyc, Up to 32c/64t

Consumer Vega GPU's:

Released

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x
    WORLD'S FASTEST 8-CORE DESKTOP PROCESSOR

• 3.6 GHz clock rate; 4.0 GHz with boost
    • Extended Frequency Range (XFR) in the presence of better cooling
    • 95 Watt TDP

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
    MERGING THE WORLDS OF ENTHUSIAST, GAMER, AND CREATOR

• 3.4 GHz clock rate; 3.8 GHz with boost
    • Extended Frequency Range (XFR) in the presence of better cooling
    • 95 Watt TDP

AMD Ryzen 7 1700
    WORLD'S LOWEST POWER 8-CORE DESKTOP PROCESSOR2

• 3.0 GHz clock rate; 3.7 GHz with boost
    • AMD Wraith Spire cooler
    • 65 Watt TDP

From Arstechnica.com
    The first Ryzen-based part will be the Summit Ridge family of high-end desktop chips. Summit Ridge chips will feature an 8-core 16-thread CPU—which is a true 8-core chip using simultaneous multithreading instead of the much maligned clustered multithreading of Bulldozer—with the top-end part sporting a base clock of 3.4GHz. While that isn't as speedy as Intel's latest quad-core desktop parts (the i7-6700K has a base clock of 4GHz), it is more than competitive with Intel's 8C/16T Broadwell-E processor, which has a base clock of 3.2GHz.
    AMD's Press Release

Anandtech's look at Ryzen

Ryzen will be a four year architecture according to AMD exec...
    See more at Extremetech.

More information will appear as it is announced.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    triturbo, Dr. AMK, Robbo99999 and 3 others like this.
  2. Rage Set

Reputations:
    I've been out of the AMD camp for a long time, but if AMD can truly release a CPU that can rival skylake at half the price, I am definitely going to build an AMD desktop.

Jarhead, TomJGX and hmscott like this.
  3. ejlala

ejlala Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll believe it when I see it, many years ago I used to buy only AMD but post Athlon 64 they've done nothing but poo their pants.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2016
  4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    I think this time AMD will be able to go for Intel's balls, pardon the foul language..

Which is a long time coming tbh.. The main thing is that people need to show the faith and take the plunge.. If the price is right, Intel are in big trouble.. Their focus on buffing iGPUs has meant that they got their eyes of the ball and that is a major mistake..

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

DukeCLR, dspboys, Rage Set and 2 others like this.
  5. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    For me, the competition from AMD would be most welcome (but... I can't wait for Intel's response...).

A CPU (plus the RAM it is tied to) is all about productivity for me - I have never seen an AMD platform that is more productive than an Intel platform - ever (for my workflows/workloads). Even when the 'scores' posted by AMD based systems kicked Intel all over the playground.

Clock speeds mean nothing - especially between competitors' product lines. If AMD was serious about giving Intel a real trouncing... they would team up with MS and get their products optimized for a Windows workflow.

Giving more cores, more MHz and more 'value' by being less expensive is not what a complete platform option looks like to me. More, actual, productivity is the bottom line and that is what AMD will need to prove for me to sing their praises - even if I don't buy their products in the end.

Their biggest failings for me is not so much with the absolute performance offered (I do have demand variable workflows, after all...). No, their biggest failing is performance per watt. Intel is in the 22nd century compared to AMD on this front. Hope this is where AMD concentrated most of their skills on (because they're not catching up in absolute performance/productivity - so far).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2016
    Kent T likes this.
  6. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Have you red anything about Ryzen before composing this post? From the last couple of sentences it seems that the answer is "No".

ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  7. Rage Set

Reputations:
    Who is that referenced to? Tilleroftheearth is incorrect. AMD has always been the king of performance per dollar in the last five years or so. AMD's direction (APU) has been their downfall in my opinion but Ryzen might be a new era of AMD vs Intel.

8. Rage Set

Reputations:

I agree. AMD needs to move away from APU's and start delivering what made them so valuable, a competitive CPU at an amazing price.

Kent T likes this.
  9. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    So, we still don't know top single core and don't know top overclock. We know that ryzen beats a 6900K at efficiency and speed for encoding with handbrake and with blender (which can be optimised, which is why many discounted it). One report claimed that the 6900K was set to dual channel memory instead of the quad channel, so I need more info there. It beat the 6900K both with and without boost enabled and the AMD cpu locked without boost. They both had equivalent air cooling. Meanwhile, 36% of 6900Ks can do 4.4GHz at 1.36V (silicon lottery). We don't know the number of pcie lanes on ryzen. We don't know overclock per voltage. It should beat the 6700K in well designed multithreaded applications, but will lose in single threaded or optimized for dual core only. What is interesting is the auto overclock to scale to cooling (manual should be better). We don't know the new effect of the prefetch for the cache. Etc.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

CedricFP likes this.
  10. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Yeah, there are a lot of unknowns, but it looks mighty impressive when you take into account the current gap or rather abyss in performance. Hopefully it scales well. After all it shows comparable performance at less power consumption, so I really hope that it would directly translate into overclockability. Then again AMD usually tune their stuff to the sweet spot of power/performance. We'll see soon enough.

There wasn't a quote, so I thought that it was clearly directed to the post above mine.

That's what I was implying.

ajc9988 likes this.