AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Formerly Zen)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Rage Set, Dec 14, 2016.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Agreed 100% with all your points. :)

I don't buy anything that is unsuited for my purpose - that is just rewarding mediocrity. ;)

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Yet you push a drive that hasn't even pushed beyond that threshold to the public, calling nvme obsolete.

As to my ability to hold a conversation, ask the members of the forum, especially in the Clevo section. You pushing Intel in an AMD thread, literally marketing and cheerleading for them is why I have a problem with you. When you stopped, I stopped. Did you notice that? Then you went back to it.@Mr. Fox on my contributions.

Edit: or @Papusan, or @bloodhawk, or @triturbo, who already blocked you, etc.

Edit 2: your statement before in not caring so long as it works directly contradicts the later statement Mr. Fox made addressing your not caring if it was BGA. Duplicity!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017 at 12:41 PM
    ChanceJackson and triturbo like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Had all of the high performance notebook enthusiasts banned together and become a force to be reckoned with, we would have as much or maybe even more pull than desktop PC enthusiasts. But, we all kept to ourselves in our digital Cub Scout and Brownie troops. Asus, MSI, Alienware, Clevo... we all had our precious pet cliques and the cancer slowly crept in. It started with Asus and MSI, then the filthbook toys began to surface from Razer and Aorus (Gigabyte) and Lenovo pretended to have something special, and all the while the bubblegum gamer kiddos ate it up in massive quantities. Cheap thrills were plentiful to be had and none of them really knew how to tell the difference between garbage and good. With dollar signs in their eyes, the sell-out decision makers on a mission to enrich the coffers of shareholders allowed that cancer to metastasize and it spread to Alienware, and now Clevo is the last gladiator standing. That really sucks, and it's our fault collectively. And, it is largely due to the folly of fanboism and brand loyalty. I accept my part of the blame here. I was a stupid Alienware fanboy and thought the sewage would never flow in my direction... silly me. Nobody should have cared about brand. It should have been about what's on the inside that mattered most, but most of the Facebook generation was too ignorant to know and we allowed them get that way... without firing a shot.

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 5:35 PM
  4. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Hence why I'm with you decrying! But, I have to make a caveat in your list for the MSI white books supporting desktop CPUs and still having MXM, although I don't know how long it will last. We must give credit, because without it, they WILL stop, guaranteed. Even Clevo screwed us around on MXM, not to rehash old rants!!!

5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    The problem with BGA and laptops is from the chip makers. In order to have a non-BGA laptop you need to find a builder using desktop designated CPU's in the box. Intel started this and now it seems AMD is following suit.

Not everyone can afford the cost of these systems. That is let alone the size, battery drain, etc.. So in the end we have to either accept what is coming or do with what we have.

6. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Fight, fight the dying of the light...

Edit: AMD has debts and needs market share and margin, together. Intel has ****ed us in many ways, like telling us mobile is more efficient! An underclocked desktop CPU runs cooler, pulls less watts, and still performs better than the crappy mobile lineup.

But, the thin and light craze (**** Apple), caused the problem of creating cooling for full bore desktop chips, because they wanted to mimic that and razr

7. ajc9988

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox - imagine a panther-esque product with a full back, four fan, with vapor chamber, even if it has to be single GPU (but probably 18" dual GPU) supporting the new HEDT chips from either side. Granted, you'd still need to thicken it up like the panther, but...

Unfortunately, it didn't sell as well at the time. But with the market for desktop socket development and cost of the Phoenix line, I bet it would do better than the first time. (And now I have the foreigner song "Feels like the first time" in my head)

TBoneSan, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I agree. The Tornado F5 is actually smaller than I like a notebook to be, but supporting it and making it desirable is mission critical. I have to set aside my preference for something larger and get behind it because it is one of our last hopes for a desirable future with notebooks. Lots of people like smaller, and it is living proof that small doesn't have to mean BGA trash.

It is also disturbing that MSI builds this, but puts their brand on the trashbooks. I have a hard time finding respect for that. The opposite should be true.

We must not accept it in an expensive package. It should be $500 or less or unacceptable. There will be no future worth participating in if we accept this trash in an overpriced package with a "high performance" label attached to fake us out.

Yup, rain falls on the just and the unjust. The weeds grow among the flowers when there is no gardener to kill them. Eventually, the weeds will choke out the flowers and everyone will admire the pretty weeds. In fact, that's kind of where we are now. It's so sad that AMD wimped out on us. That automatically casts them as losers in my mind. They are launching from the staring line in a position of weakness and apathy. They should be ashamed for offering Ryzen in a soldered lower-power package. I am guilty of expecting them to fail as well based on their checkered past. This is just the confirmation of it now with an AMD-powered Asus turdbook on the horizon, and more of that trash likely to follow. Boo! Boo!

Papusan and ajc9988 like this.
  9. ajc9988

Reputations:
    I say, have faith, good sir. AMD is in a fight for its life, regardless of how it looks. Kaby is barely 20% IPC over BW, if that. This means next year's Zen on 14nm+, if that is the node they meant the 20% IPC gain on, and they deliver like this time, means they may survive another day. It doesn't yet address our issue of BGA crap, but it is actual competition (noting that coffee will still be ahead on IPC).

What we need is a revolution in materials science for cooling, to better deal with heat dissipation, or further node shrinks allowing for desktop chips to merge, much as laptop GPUs are in the process of doing. That is coming quicker than many think (7 & 10nm). So, we must hold the wall for the coming years, hoping that light is reinforcements, not the blaze of our demise.

Otherwise, It's time to get all the equipment to solder and bake every component, including re-balling and potentially buying new templates each generation, a very untenable position. Khenglish will have to start giving online classes! (I laugh so I don't cry)

TBoneSan, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    AMD Ryzen 14nm Wafer Yields Pass 80% - Threadripper CPUs on track-Guru3.com

"Good news for and from AMD, the yields for fabbing AMD Ryzen processors seem to be reaching strong values and are reaching numbers passing 80% for fully the functional 8-core parts. Ryzen is fabbed using a 14nm FinFet process. That fabrication node has been in use and refined for over a year now."

" Dang you guys, we have a wild Summer loaded with new technology ahead of us !"