Amd Zen+ Ryzen 7 Pro 3700U

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by adamj023, Apr 15, 2019.

1. adamj023

adamj023 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Which is the best business class notebook to get with AMD Zen+ Ryzen 7 Pro 3700U? Both HP and Lenovo announced they will be using this CPU so HP Elitebook and Lenovo Thinkpad will definitely have models. The new CPU likely fixes the throttling issues of the previous Zen making this CPU better than Intel counterparts on multicore and graphics performance while battery life should be on par as well.

With previous Zen models, the Lenovo Thinkpad A485 and HP Elitebook 745 G5 essentially tied each other on ratings at 89% as per Notebookcheck as 8th and 9th best Premium business notebooks. With Zen+ I expect these will move up respectively in the rankings making AMD better than Intel for all but single core performance. Only time will tell as they will be out very soon.

I am deciding between the HP and Lenovo unless another maker steps up, perhaps Dell or someone else offers a competitive offering with the same CPU.

2. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wouldn't get it, same or worse CPU performance as Intel's 15W parts, can't UV, uses more power, only redeeming quality is the iGPU, but it needs dual channel and many laptops use single channel ram

3. adamj023

adamj023 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I disagree. The new model fixes and improves on the Zen performance and battery life. The first Zen was quite a performer in terms of cpu capability but the cpus were being crippled by the motherboards used. The new Zen+ fixes and improves upon it as AMD changed all that and now the CPU itself handles the adjustments for power. AMD put too much trust in the motherboard designers to handle this and it likely could have been improved upon by a bios update which never came. Now the CPU’s themselves take care of this directly as well as the other improvements. Based on my own criteria, the Zen+ will likely be a viable cpu for my needs for the first time overtaking Intel as the option of choice. I do want the best Notebook I can get that has the best experience for this CPU and so I will be looking closely at all the business class models available with this cpu.

4. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There's nothing to disagree with, its all facts. 3700U hasn't even released yet afaik, but it surely won't outperform a 8750H

5. adamj023

adamj023 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 8750H is a different class of chip as it has a TDP of 45W.

The new Ryzen 7 3700U Pro is 15W TDP. Energy usage is much less as it should be and battery life is improved further over the previous version. The consumer grade Matebook with 2700U had a properly designed system and it had all day battery life as well.

Huawei has had issues with Iran and spying concerns however and they don’t sell a business class machine. Only two confirmed ones I know of are HP Elitebook and Lenovo Thinkpad for business class as of now.