AMD Vega is here...

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by HTWingNut, Aug 14, 2017.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Having had a w3520 @ 4.2ghz and a tri sli GTX 470 system back in the day. I know full well about heat dump. However I doubt I would be able to perceive the difference if I shut off a GPU since the issue is circulation.

I open a door if it gets too warm. Even my laptop can heat up the room after some time.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I still find it funny how upset people are now but when the 580/480 were using literally 2x the power of their competitors, nobody cared.

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Are you sure? I thought there was that big hullabaloo with the RX480 Reference edition pulling too much power from the PCI bus?

There were people / reviewers that complained about the power draw, but RX 64 really goes further into power extreme's than RX 480 / RX 580 ever went.

Really there needs to be an AMD OC update that recommends limiting power to a point of sanity, even if there are small performance gains by going further.

I'm glad AMD didn't lock it down, but leaving it unlocked is resulting in reviewers and owners blowing the doors off with over powering these cards.

Limiting the power to a reasonable limit will lose some performance numbers, but I don't think gamers are really gonna miss a few FPS if they can cut power usage by 100w-200w. :)

Vasudev likes this.
  4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    People still bought more 480s than 5870s. Why? Cause Nvidia.

5. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    LOLwut

5870 (188-228W) vs. 470 (215W)

6970 (250W) vs 570 (219W)

Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.
  6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    The solution is still, open a door or a window.

If thats not feasible then perhaps you shouldnt be looking into computers that dump enough heat to make your room a temp sauna box.

hmscott likes this.
  7. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    5870s were never 220W. They average 180-190W under load. Meanwhile, GTX 480s were going as high as 350W and if you even touch voltage they'd skyrocket into 400W territory. Everyone basically agrees that the GPU power draw records are a tie between Vega 64 OC and GTX 480/580

8. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It gets just cold enough in the winter here to make me consider it. But not enough for me to actually do it.

9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    In the winter I would just crack the window a bit, dont want to generate condensation pending your climate...

10. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    228W TGP is what AMD listed for the 5870 2GB and Eyefinity Edition. In practice they didn't draw much more than the 1GB card.

5870 and 6970 competed in same price and performance tier as 470 and 570, not 480 and 580.

480 didn't draw that much by itself, you're probably talking total system draw. (Unthrottled FurMark might be different story but that's a bad example.)

Nvidia listed TGP was on the conservative side for Fermi (esp. 480 very conservative as it was closer to 300W than 250W), but difference vs. AMD competitors wasn't that big:

[​IMG]

Edit: Don't forget that 480's draw was exacerbated by its poor reference cooler which made it run extremely hot, something Nvidia fixed with 580.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.