AMD Vega is here...

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by HTWingNut, Aug 14, 2017.

1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:

While not destroying Nvidia, it is at least competitive with GTX 1070 and 1080. Hoping for a future iteration with lower power consumption and thermals and neck and neck or even one up Nvidia's 1080 Ti (or Volta's version of it). With Ryzen and a good performing AMD video card I'll gladly go with team AMD for my next desktop build (which I don't plan on for another 1-1.5 years).

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

As expected. Vega 56 is more powerful than the 1070 with about 50W more power draw whereas Vega 64 is on par with the 1080 but with 100W more power draw. Overall - 56 looks good, 64 looks meh.

hmscott and DataShell like this.
  3. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I like Linus, but I feel like he sometimes misses a lot of stuff when it comes to AMD card reviews.

The guys on Level1Techs (one of them being former Tek Syndicate member Wendell) tend to give a lot more insight about a lot of the nuances of hardware. Linus doesn't mention at all how AMD cards usually fare better in the long run, how drivers have yet to be optimized, and how a lot of his benchmarking (games and synthetic) use proprietary software.

hmscott and don_svetlio like this.
  4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Ineed. If we look back at the 480 vs 1060 - the 1060 was originally 10% faster whereas now, the 580 is pulling ahead consistently by anywhere from 5-10%.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Meh they're 15 months late to the party, consume a heap more power and in most cases it's a total wash. Nvidia wins some AMD wins some. In certain titles AMD gets smashed such as GTA V and PUBG. Both of which are wildly popular and one of the most streamed games on twitch.

I don't see the appeal of Vega over the GTX. The MSRP prices have already been proven to not be actual retail prices. Microcenter had 3x Vega 64 near my places yesterday and all sold for $599 plus taxes. Newegg has an AIB 1080 Ti for $699 no tax. Buying Vega at those prices is just stupid and the mining craze will only keep the prices stupid high. Might even help GTX prices bounce back to normal. I also thought AMD was reducing power consumption and increasing perf per watt? Looks like they just threw as much power at it as it took to match the GTX series.

Either way they don't have anything hat even comes close to mah 1080 Ti perf which means the king lives on. Aside from Titan Xp of course.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    50W over the 1070 is a far cry from "a heap more power" - and as we've seen, undervolting the Vega 56 card at stock brings that difference down to 30W. As for PUBG - we know Nvidia cards generally perform better in that game. It's like using Doom as a benchmark. Interestingly, from LTT's video, Vega 64 and 56 both smash the 1080 in CS:GO. If games running Source 2 like Dota 2 and CS:GO run at 80fps more on Vega, quite a few professionals or streamers may switch since going from 380fps to 450fps is no small jump. Especially when we now are about to have a 480Hz screen.

hmscott, DataShell and Starlight5 like this.
  7. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I highly recommend you watch the Level1Techs video. The point of these cards was not to take the performance crown, it was to compete with the 1070 and 1080, which they do pretty well. They are more future proof, do outperform the GeForce cards in several games, have way better compute performance and thrash the GeForce cards in basically anything not game-related, and plus the Radeon Red packages allow people looking to buy red products (e.g. a mobo, GPU, and CPU all at once) a significant discount.

hmscott and don_svetlio like this.
  8. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Pretty sure 1070 and 56 are also on par with each other, judging by the video.

hmscott likes this.
  9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    That's with launch drivers, though. We all know AMD's history of improving drivers over the course of 3-5 months post launch. Mark my words, Vega 56 will be at least 10% ahead of the 1070 by New Year's.

Mr Najsman and DataShell like this.
  10. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Perhaps not by New Year's, but by mid-next year or so I'd say it's quite likely.