AMD uninstall utility messed up windows 8

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Heihachi88, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heihachi88

Heihachi88 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Good to know. Thanks for sharing this. I hope it helps others avoid the same problem.

Have you tried to add a new user with the Computer Management Console under Administrative Tools in the "Local Users and Groups" section instead of the regular "User Accounts" area in Control Panel?

3. Heihachi88

Reputations:
    Tried creating another admin user from cmd - but it has the same problem as my main.. hell.. What else you can advice Mr.Fox? My earlier restore point is only at 14th february and i used that uninstaller on 11th january...

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Maybe try booting from installation media and see if a repair operation fixes it. Otherwise, I think you might be faced with a OS reinstallation. :(

5. Heihachi88

Reputations:
    Hell! Have you tried already "REFRESH PC" function with creating an image?

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    No, sorry I haven't and I don't know if that feature works well. That might work, but I cannot share anything useful based on experience. I don't even boot into Windows 8 very often any more on the M18x, so there are a number of things I haven't tested and that is one of them. About the only time I boot into Windows 8 is to try to answer a question someone has specific to Windows 8 or to compare something between Windows 7 and 8 to answer a question for myself. I wish I could be more help here, Brother Heihachi.

7. Heihachi88

Reputations:
    Thanks, so u're using windows 7 mainly?

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, on the M18x I am. It and the M17x R2 are the only Windows 7 machines I have left in the house now, and only the M18x is dual boot. Two Inspiron laptops, Dell Mini-9 netbook and two desktops are all Windows 8 exclusively now.

I just have a hard time liking Windows 8 more than I like Windows 7. I don't hate Windows 8, but I don't like the Modern UI. I think the Windows 7 Aero environment is more elegant than the pastel colors, excessive use of white backgrounds, fat window borders and pointy corners. So, it is kind of natural that I gravitate back to Windows 7 in a dual boot system. If somebody took away Windows 7 and I could not have it any more I would manage OK with Windows 8.

9. alecbondtemp

alecbondtemp Newbie

Reputations:
    I assume by now you've either fixed it or reinstalled windows. Either way, this solution worked for me.
    Hopefully anyone else having this issue will see this.

Windows 8 Reparatur mit einem Inplace Upgrade – Deskmodder.de

It is in German, but chrome will translate for you or Google translate can translate the entire page (I recommended the latter).
    I did not rename shell32.dll as the link suggests (which is found at C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll for those who don't know), just followed the rest of the steps. The only difference I encountered was on the first compatibility check it asked to restart to access files. I restarted into Windows and ran the setup again without any issues and now I have my Users and Update settings back.

10. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing it, hopefully it'll work! @Heihachi, have you tried a system restore?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.