AMD to unveil Radeon RX 6000 GPUs on Oct 28

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Prototime, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I stand corrected on the 5700xt vs 2070. AMD has been closing the gap at the higher end, which makes me hopeful for a strong RDNA 2 lineup.

electrosoft likes this.
  2. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I hope so too. I have a 4k display due to arrive mid October to replace my dying 2560x1600 display and I'm looking for something to drive it (and then some) at a reasonable cost. Team Red and a 6900xt or Team Green and a 3080....doesn't matter to me.

hfm and Prototime like this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Prototime, Vasudev and electrosoft like this.
  4. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Agreed, I'm pretty excited to see how AMD pans out. If it's anything like their CPUs, we maybe in for something special.

This is intriguing too: "The big unknown is still the XTX variant. It all appears that Navi 21 XTX is AMD exclusive. It is possibly a higher clocked version with more CUs enabled, but AIbs have no further information at the moment."

and of course the comments section is a poo tossing riot as always... :D

Vasudev and hfm like this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Lol yeah.. nowhere near as bad as wccftech, but as usual comment sections on these sites are useless garbage.

EDIT: ugh just waded into the comment section there again (wccftech).. why I don't know. I just added their domain to my blocklist in my router, there's plenty of other sites that don't let pure garbage infiltrate their comment sections.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    electrosoft likes this.
  6. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Holy crap. Was anyone expecting AMD to be announce cards competitive at all levels--even with the 3090? Still need to wait for independent reviews, but the news is amazing.

Not too keen on the 6800 price of $579 though. That's only $80 cheaper than the 6800XT, and $80 more expensive than the RTX 3070. Though if their presentation is to be believed, the 6800 will stomp all over the 2080TI, and by extension, the 3070. We'll see.

hfm and Vasudev like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    AMD may bring 295x2 like dual card with dual 6900 XT that might eat up lot of power when OC'ed. I just took a look Gamer Nexus video and they did highlight 6900XT scores were with Smart access + Rage mode.

hfm likes this.
  8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's nice to see AMD announce products that can finally compete with NVIDIA at the high end of the market. However, it is concerning that, while they mentioned DX12 Ultimate compatibility, they said nothing about ray tracing performance. You'd think that if they were at least competitive with team green, they would want to talk about it.

hfm likes this.
  9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Agreed. The silence about RT perf or which games will even be compatible is a little telling, but I will await reviews. It definitely got me to consider not biting on it if EVGA sends me a note that my queue position for a 3080 is up before I can see some real objective comparative analysis against the 3000 series.

10. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    AMD said in the launch that Big Navi will indeed have ray tracing hardware acceleration so that should be ok, also consoles will be doing RT so AMD will figure it out to get decent RT or maybe a cheaper RT giving that consoles will be implementing RT for AMD hardware and Nvidia will have to translate that RT to the RTX architecture. What worries me more is the lack of DLSS. If no DLSS (equivalent) on AMD that would be a huge down in 4k performance compared to Nvidia, which would be a shame giving that AMD has great ideas in the hardware department but they lack in the software department. That direct access for the AMD CPU to the GPU memory should bring an interesting boost at 1080p/1440p so maybe you should wait for reviews and see what that combo has to offer.