AMD to unveil Radeon RX 6000 GPUs on Oct 28

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Prototime, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm with you on this one. New video cards like the 3080 are around constant 60 fps at 4K with the scaling trick, but still far from 120fps on the 1% low. The thing is all current benchmarks are "old gen" games, wait for the new PS5 games gen and the 3080 won't be able to push 4k to constant 60fps. So you have to lower the resolution to the non-native resolution of your screen and get the blurry image issue, and agghh it just doesn't worth it. I rather play at constant 120+ fps with a monitor of native 1080p, I honestly get a better experience at 1080p120+fps than at 4k60-fps... that's my opinion

TBoneSan likes this.
  2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I had to do some rather radical cleanup of this thread ...there was some good info, but it was mixed in with the back-and-forth comments.

Charles

3. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As some of the hopefully-good-info that was discussed before the thread was cleaned up, @hfm and I were discussing how the RTX 3070 will likely be a strong contender for 4k60fps gaming, assuming you're okay with dialing down the settings a tad. And seeing as the visual differences between "ultra" and "high" settings tend to be minimal in most games, you likely won't be missing out on much visual detail versus having an RTX 3080 and cranking everything to max. And this isn't even considering the fantastic visual and performance upgrades using DLSS upscaling, which is a technology that will hopefully explode this generation.

The more I think about it, the less confident I feel that I will buy an AMD GPU. Even if AMD announces RX 6000 GPUs with similar native performance to nvidia's RTX 30- GPUs, it's unlikely that they'll be able to compete with the quality and performance enhancements brought by nvidia's DLSS. I'll still wait for the announcement - who knows, maybe AMD will surprise us with amazing AI upscaling that's competitive with DLSS. I doubt it, but we'll see.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    hfm likes this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have my doubts as well, I am super prepared to be delighted though. nVidia needs the competition at the high end badly. The 3080 will fit my needs just fine though, so an option exists, if you can find one.

5. Prototime

Reputations:
    Aroc, electrosoft and hfm like this.
  6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm not impressed with NV's DLSS 2.0.

In comparison between NV DLSS 2.0 and AMD Fidelity FX... slight edge seems to go to DLSS 2.0, but for the most part, I'd say they pretty much equal each other (in various places, Fidelity FX manages to better DLSS 2.0 - which to me seems rather ridiculous because you'd assume that AI training would produce FAR superior results... and yet, that's not the case) :
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/hri67n/death_stranding_dlss_20_vs_native_vs_fidelityfx/

Either way, DLSS is not something to pin your hopes in.
    It would seem that (for now at least), whatever NV does using proprietary features, AMD does a good job in matching it with open-source (which tends to be platform agnostic).

At any rate, hw is seldom kept by people for longer than 4 or 5 years anyway. And by that time, both companies will probably come out with newer features that will (again) be comparable to each other and blow previous features out of the water.

As for questioning whether AMD can produce 3xxx levels of performance...
    huh... it seems to me a lot of people online have adopted an attitude of 'AMD could never hope to compete with NV in the high end' before RDNA 2 is even out.

I'm curious... where on earth are people getting this information? It seems that its mostly based on personal opinion and rumors that hadn't been demonstrated to be accurate in the slightest.

Furthermore, why the obsession with the absolute high end?
    Most people won't be getting those GPU's to begin with. The majority of people will be getting mid range GPU's and those that are a tier above that (higher end) taking up second place.

Absolute high end is more along the lines of a niche... unless of course AMD comes out with a GPU that matches or beats 3090 with a much lower price tag (which is possible... but AMD is not a charity either... so even if absolute high end RDNA 2 matches/exceeds 3090... chances are it probably won't be cheap - but who knows what kind of pricing AMD has in store - as of right now we have 0 confirmation on anything except rumors and a few Linux code leakages... which yes can be used as a point of possible extrapolation, but nothing to provide us with concrete performance analysis, all new features, etc. - at least until the GPU's are released and given proper 3rd party reviews).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Aroc likes this.
  7. Prototime

Reputations:
    I'm impressed with DLSS 2.0. Like you said, it's better than Fidelity FX. Both can get better over time, but there's more room for DLSS to grow as its AI continues to improve.

Moreover, people have good reason to suspect that AMD's cards will not be competitive with nvidia's offerings (re: past 10 years). And not just at the "absolute" high end (Titan/3090); AMD hasn't been competitive with nvidia's GTX/RTX xx70 cards either.

I have no brand loyalty. I'll buy whichever company's product is better. And I'm not discounting AMD; indeed, I'm hopeful they can compete both in terms of native performance and upscaling. But color me skeptical.

hfm likes this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I said DLSS 2.0 'slightly' edges out FidelidyFX (there is a difference), and to be fair, to me, they both look pretty much the same (to the point where 'slightly edges out' is in the same realm of AMD and Intel CPU's being within a margin of error of each other in various benchmarks, or Intel having maybe 6% advantage in single threaded performance due to higher clocks - quantifiable? Yes. Relevant? Not in the slightest (especially when AMD's is more than good enough and the mentioned differences wouldn't be noticed anyway... its the same with DLSS and FidelityFX... who the heck is going to be able to tell the difference? You need to stand still for long periods to notice anything, and if DLSS is better in 'some' aspects it most noticeably comes with faults such as artifacting - same with AMD... both methods produce pretty much same results to the point where differences are minor at best and both come with minor trade-offs). They both come with pretty much the same performance enhancements (with FidelityFX coming out on top in various metrics even - AND, FidelityFX is hardware agnostic, whereas DLSS is not)... so like I said, I am NOT impressed with DLSS at all - if anything I find it pretenteous.
    Its yet another attempt by NV to try and control the market like they did with CUDA by paying devs to specifically program software to take advantage of it as opposed to OpenCL (which is just as capable, and in some situations even more so, and doesn't even have any licensing fees).

It seems to me that AMD have managed to remain competitive in the GPU arena rather well... they produced both mid and high end products that match or exceed NV's for lower price... the only segment they hadn't competed in a while is the 'absolute high end'... and quite frankly, that segment is a niche in itself (a halo product) to the point where very very few people buy into... they just 'like' to look at the absolute top end and make grandiose deductions that just because NV currently has (even though this wasn't the case always) higher performing absolute high end GPU that ALL their gpu's are similarly good... when we know that's not the case.

9. Prototime

Reputations:
    Not really sure what the point is of emphasizing how "slight" the advantage of DLSS is over Fidelity FX. All other things equal, people want the best value for their dollar, no matter how slight (or "pretentious"). And all other things are not equal. Nvidia cards have consistently outperformed AMD cards in the previous several generations, and not just at the "absolute" top of the high end. I don't like it--I'd prefer competition--but the facts are what they are.

You clearly are on Team Red; I'm on Team Competition, because competition drives greater innovation and lower prices. Which means I'm rooting for AMD this time around, because I know they're the underdog. I'll also be rooting for Intel, should they ever get around to releasing Xe dGPUs.

If AMD can release something better than the 3080 or 3070 with DLSS and ray-tracing at a better price point, I'll happily buy it. I'm skeptical, but hopeful.

10. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    5700xt is on average 6% slower than a 2070 Super and faster than a 2070 and beating both on several benchmarks (while obviously slightly or greater losing on others).

Of course it loses to the 2080, 2080 Super and 2080ti, but to say it doesn't compete with the 2070 series isn't accurate.

Deks, Prototime and hfm like this.