AMD to unveil Radeon RX 6000 GPUs on Oct 28

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Prototime, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    At long last, AMD has announced when it will unveil its RDNA 2 "Big Navi" Radeon RX 6000 GPUs: October 28. With any luck, they'll be competitive with nvidia's GeForce RTX 30- series up to the 3070 or 3080.

And as an aside, AMD has also announced that it will unveil Zen 3 Ryzen 4000 CPUs on October 8.

This fall, we're getting a new GPU generation from nvidia, a new GPU generation from AMD, a new CPU generation from AMD, a new Xbox generation, and a new Playstation generation. I'd say gamers are about to be spoiled rotten. (Now, if only Nintendo would announce a Switch Pro :vbwink:)

https://www.pcworld.com/article/357...adeon-rx-6000-gpus-are-coming-october-28.html

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  2. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't have high hopes for AMD winning the performance crown, but if they get the RX6000 more power efficient than the RTX3000 the new mobile lineup could become very interesting this Spring.

JRE84 likes this.
  3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's safe to say this is an exciting time for gamers and technology in general. In fact, I can't remember the last time things got this heated.
    There are some sketchy leaked benchmarks for Nvidia's RTX 3000 series, and though they look good, anyone with money to spend on hardware would probably serve themselves best by waiting for AMD's announcement.

Charles

4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yes this is a crazy time so many things going on at once.

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I was 100% sure I was going to try to nab a 3080 on launch day. It might be for the best if that doesn't pan out, probably will end up having to wait until AMD releases their volley in that case anyway.

I still have my 2070, so I'm not super hurting, I'd just like to get it before Cyberpunk, but I know if I can't score one before then I'm going to play it anyway on the 2070.. I'd really rather not though..

6. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My totally unsolicited advice is to wait for AMD's announcement, just in case it allows you to get a better deal in the long run :)

electrosoft likes this.
  7. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    My thinking exactly basically in regards to Cyberpunk and RT enabled WoW xpac @ 4k. In the end, I'll still play both on whatever is in the box. I'd even limp along and play it on my laptop during that time if I was in between cards.

JRE84 likes this.
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    this is alot different than nvidias release but some leaked benchmarks show the rx6000 matching the 2080ti....but at what price

9. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    We can guess all we want.

Personally I'm not interested in 3090 levels of performance at >350w, but in power efficient performance that can seep down in mobile gpus.

Kunal Shrivastava likes this.
  10. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd have to disagree with you on this point. More VRAM will be required for future games, that's a given. However I don't think we'll need as vast an increase as some are pitching. More VRAM is always welcome though as it does allow for future proofing.

According to the steam hardware survey, over 65% of users are playing games at 1080p still, myself included. This is a huge majority. Since most PC gamers use steam, I'd say it's pretty accurate to say most people are perfectly happy about 1080p. I can't say that with 100% certainty though as a lot of these people may want to go to 4K, but can't afford a GPU to drive that resolution in games. However, I do think it is safe to assume most people are content with 1080p. I don't know anyone personally who is interested in moving to 4K, much less 1440p. 4K gaming is not currently a good value proposition, so people will probably stay away from it until we get $200-$300 cards that can do 4K@60FPS.

If we assume 1080p will continue to be the de-facto standard for at least this generation and start seeing the mainstream transition to 4K next gen with the Hopper 4000 series cards, 8GB of VRAM should still be enough for at least the next 4 years if you only game at 1080p. This is just conjecture though. Anything is possible.

I personally am eyeing the 3070. I'd like a card for high framerate gaming at 1080p, which my 1060 cannot do in newer games. I do not plan on moving to 4K until a card that can do 4K@120FPS in newer games is released. I will not bother with 1440p since 4K looks better and I'd rather make a more drastic jump than an iterative one. I don't want to buy a monitor to replace my current one, which I just got about two years ago.

electrosoft, Prototime and Aroc like this.