AMD to unveil Radeon RX 6000 GPUs on Oct 28

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Prototime, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    At long last, AMD has announced when it will unveil its RDNA 2 "Big Navi" Radeon RX 6000 GPUs: October 28. With any luck, they'll be competitive with nvidia's GeForce RTX 30- series up to the 3070 or 3080.

And as an aside, AMD has also announced that it will unveil Zen 3 Ryzen 4000 CPUs on October 8.

This fall, we're getting a new GPU generation from nvidia, a new GPU generation from AMD, a new CPU generation from AMD, a new Xbox generation, and a new Playstation generation. I'd say gamers are about to be spoiled rotten. (Now, if only Nintendo would announce a Switch Pro :vbwink:)

https://www.pcworld.com/article/357...adeon-rx-6000-gpus-are-coming-october-28.html

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  2. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't have high hopes for AMD winning the performance crown, but if they get the RX6000 more power efficient than the RTX3000 the new mobile lineup could become very interesting this Spring.

JRE84 likes this.
  3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's safe to say this is an exciting time for gamers and technology in general. In fact, I can't remember the last time things got this heated.
    There are some sketchy leaked benchmarks for Nvidia's RTX 3000 series, and though they look good, anyone with money to spend on hardware would probably serve themselves best by waiting for AMD's announcement.

Charles

4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yes this is a crazy time so many things going on at once.

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I was 100% sure I was going to try to nab a 3080 on launch day. It might be for the best if that doesn't pan out, probably will end up having to wait until AMD releases their volley in that case anyway.

I still have my 2070, so I'm not super hurting, I'd just like to get it before Cyberpunk, but I know if I can't score one before then I'm going to play it anyway on the 2070.. I'd really rather not though..

6. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My totally unsolicited advice is to wait for AMD's announcement, just in case it allows you to get a better deal in the long run :)

electrosoft likes this.
  7. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    My thinking exactly basically in regards to Cyberpunk and RT enabled WoW xpac @ 4k. In the end, I'll still play both on whatever is in the box. I'd even limp along and play it on my laptop during that time if I was in between cards.

JRE84 likes this.
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    this is alot different than nvidias release but some leaked benchmarks show the rx6000 matching the 2080ti....but at what price

9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    a well known leaker says the rx6900 will beat the 3090

10. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    We can guess all we want.

Personally I'm not interested in 3090 levels of performance at >350w, but in power efficient performance that can seep down in mobile gpus.