AMD Ryzen fanless laptop?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Milardo, Nov 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milardo

Milardo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking for if any:

AMD Ryzen laptop which is fanless specs and price don't matter

2. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does not exist, there fanless AMD NUC but not a laptop, but to be fair my ThinkPad A285 and even the older A475 are extremely quiet and if put on low performance mode the fan almost never spins up while maintaining healthy 50 to 60 degrees during use. Keep in mind performance will suffer using this mode as it effectively system throttles the APU.

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Milardo

Milardo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. I tried to do research first, but unless i could get a hold of the service manual, most pictures don't show the bottom of laptop and docs don't say much about the cooling system. Guess I have to wait awhile more. I was looking at this one but i can't figure out whether it is fanless or not, doesn't specify anywhere.

https://www.costco.com/asus-vivoboo...ws-10-in-s-mode---blue.product.100490818.html

Also what is a 14" or smaller laptop with any amd cpu that is fanless but has relatively good performance, other specs and price don't matter?

4. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That Vivobook is not fanless, there pictures of it disassembled and its got a fan albeit a very poor one since it has to be so thin.
    I do not recommend fanless laptops with processors of 15 or 25W TDP, simply because to cool these the chassis is going to have to be used as a giant heatsink and having had the unfortunate experience of using Macbook Air, they tend to get extremely hot unless they are limited to the 8 - 10W TDP and the CPU performance in these are terrible.

I have never seen or heard of a fanless AMD design, the TDP is simply just too high, 15W TDP is still pretty hot for fanless and mostly thin and light designs are fanless as they are too thin to fit a cooler in there.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/student-laptops/Lenovo-14w/p/88EL10S9990
    These are fanless Lenovo laptops using AMD APU these are 6W parts and they are the old 28nm design not Ryzen, because there is no commercially available Ryzen 6W or 8W APU that are not embedded designs.

Even Microsoft Surface which have Ryzen models now, are not fanless even though they used to have a fanless design of the Surface the Ryzen variant is not.
    Sorry to say but there is no Ryzen fanless laptop design, at least not yet though by the look of that Lenovo with awful dual core APU released in 2019, its pretty obvious there is a demand for such a thing so I would not be surprised if they update that next year with Ryzen design.
    You can also try to email Lenovo if they have any plans for the future with such a computer with fanless Ryzen in the 6 to 8W TDP range.

5. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've got little vivobook e202 (yea it's older) with a I3 and can confirm it IS dead silent.
    Never tore it down, cannot vouch if it has a fan or not.
    It's not terrible to use but it is noticeably slow in comparison to anything decent.
    It's my "when everything else is broke" it works device.

I'd hate to recommend it for anyones main machine....
    But I'll be damned if I can say bad things about it....
    It was never meant to be a powerhouse and it's been dead reliable.
    For what it is the build quality is very solid, it feels like you could chuck it across the room and not hurt it.
    Hmm.....extreme testing via inertia and gravitational influences ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.