AMD RX560 MXM 3.1 card is on sale for $180 USD

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by John Carlson, Nov 1, 2017.

1. KhronX

KhronX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd kinda-sorta question the accuracy of some of that data. Is the RX 560M (also) the cut-down version of the chip, ie. not the 1024-shader one?

"Judging by the results of synthetic and gaming tests, Technical City recommends AMD Radeon RX 560 Mobile.

Be aware that Radeon RX 560 Mobile is a desktop card while Radeon Pro WX 4150 is a workstation one."

Suuuuure they are :D

Speaking of which - after seeing that Taobao card, my skepticicsm-spider-senses started tingling a bit. I then looked up some photos of desktop RX560 cards, and to my surprise / relief, the part number you can juuuuuuust make out on the die, actually DOES match between them, 215-0908004. And i quite hope that wasn't just my optimism making me see what i wanted to...

2. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    I got a 240W brick with a E-Port dock I bought on eBay (for the cost of a new 180W adapter from Dell). Seemed like a decent deal to me.

3. John Carlson

John Carlson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. KhronX

Reputations:
    Since i live on the "other side of the pond", prices are a bit different over here. I did browse through the available offerings over here, and an E-Port dock w/ USB3 and the 240W brick is the equivalent about 80$ or so (or maybe a smidge more, including shipping).

That being said, "straight from the manufacturer" is a sure way to make your wallet cry - just look at RAM prices...

Can't speak for the earlier models, but at least in the case of the M4800, since BIOS A07 i believe, it'll throttle like a mothertrucker with anything less than the 180W brick these come with as stock. These Dell bricks have a small "one-wire" ROM chip in the charger, with which the BIOS ID's the type (ie. power) of charger it is, through the center pin of the power connector.

There's a thread over on Spiceworks, i think, where this was found and discussed. Not sure whether Throttlestop can do anything about that though, i'm still on A06.

5. John Carlson

John Carlson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. rmacgowa

rmacgowa Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Curious to see if there will be a larger MXM version of the newer cards AKA RX 580M . Wondering how the RX560M would compare to a GTX 780m

7. KhronX

Reputations:
  8. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does @valuxin have a thread on his results?

9. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Not that I am aware of, I think hes been busy with IRL stuff I havent seen him around that much

ChanceJackson likes this.