AMD RX560 MXM 3.1 card is on sale for $180 USD

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by John Carlson, Nov 1, 2017.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah I just have no need for another m4600 lol only need the CPU if I decided to upgrade it. If I get another precision it would likely be the m4800.

Yeah valuxin tried his best but its a no go on 965m working on anything beyond windows xp.

Yeah the m4600 is a nice laptop but the bios is garbage for getting any extra life out if the laptop.

John Carlson likes this.
  2. John Carlson

John Carlson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm getting another M4600 if it ever breaks down but I see at least four more years of life time out of mine.

2960XM CPU now sells for only $100 USD on Ebay.

I want to demand bios upgrade for M4600...

Let's hope RX560 & M4600 will work fine together... I see why not. M5100 is plug & play on M4600.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    If your coding then I could see that. Gaming though, not all that great outside of OverWatch and MGS5:TPP

2960xm is a complete waste of money on the precision line. They will power throttle due to lack of amps. 2860qm is the best your going to get for consistent clock speeds.

bios mods have already been requested time and time again. Dell only does it for security now, and forum modders found the BIOS to be encrypted. Its not happening.

Personally I dont think the RX 560 will work considering no one got the RX 480 to work in anything. Still, mild optimism.

John Carlson likes this.
  4. John Carlson

Reputations:
    2960XM is still fine if you're around power outlet all the time. I use my laptop with adapter all the time so I'm not so worried.

2860QM is actually only 5% behind 2960XM so I guess it's' the same model...

RX480 MXM may work on M4600 too but no one knows until someone tries it.

Hopefully RX560 works fine... then I will get 2960XM & RX560 combo with four 8GB 1600MHz ram sticks.
    I'm not just working on coding.. I use After Effects to create videos and user interface for software. so I need lots of graphic power.. but I would refuse to buy Asus gaming laptop for 1k. Carrying around 1k laptop isn't for me when $110 M4600 works just fine.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  5. KhronX

KhronX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    +John Carlson - Thanks so much for bringing this up! Just last week, in a "hope beyond hope" sort of thing, i decided to once again google for Radeon 460 or 560 MXM, and i came across this thread. I was pretty thrilled to refresh this page last night, only to see a lot more activity!

I've got an M4800 with an m5100, and ever since rumors about Polaris 11 started surfacing, i began to hope / dream about a gpu upgrade. That only got "worse" once the "Pro 460" came up in the MBP, and then the Pro WX4130/4150's showed up in the latest Dell Precisions and HP Zbooks, which only gave me more hope. And no, i can't really say i have much love for the green team.

Very much looking forward to news of valuxin's experiments with the board, once he takes delivery of it. With a gpu upgrade, i'm sure i won't have to even think about a new laptop for another 3 years easy (and i've had it for about 3 and a half already)...

John Carlson likes this.
  6. John Carlson

Reputations:
    No prob.

WX 4130 and 4150 would be my choice of MXM card for M4600 / M4700 / M4800.
    However Dell version of WX 4130 and 4150 are not available for sale at all. I don't think we will see them in three years.
    No one has them on Ebay & Taobao so I see Dell is keeping them exclusive for new Dell laptops.
    HP version of WX 4150 MXM is available for part order on HP site but they're asking over $650 USD so that's a deal breaker.... I don't intend to spend that much money on card yet.

M2200M is in the same way... Dell version M2200M is not available for sale at all.
    Thankfully a nice guy put RX560 on sale on Taobao and it looks just like M5100 so I guess it will work fine. M5950, M4000, M5100 all work fine on M4600.

7. KhronX

KhronX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Trust me, i've "dug after" those myself too, a few times, obviously to no avail. I didn't even consider checking the official channels, because i knew they'd be charging an arm and a d*ck...

... Aaaaand now we wait...

8. John Carlson

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's silly considering it's AMD's finest MXM workstation graphic card.
    http://products.amd.com/es-es/search/Professional-Graphics/Radeon™-Pro-WX-x100-Series/Radeon™-Pro-WX-4150-(Mobile)/81

It uses 45W...

RX560 uses 80W so I guess minimum 130W adapter would be necessary to run RX560 & CPU (45W). That's going to be lots of heat.

9. KhronX

KhronX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My m4800 came with an 180W one, so i'm not really worried there. I've actually browsed for 240W bricks for sale, but i'm not 100% sure that'd warrant the $50-odd investment. I'm actually still on the A06 bios, because they introduced that stupid "throttle if charger's under 180W" thing, which isn't too appealing for my 130W "travel adapter".

10. John Carlson

Reputations:
    Yeah, I have 240W adapter as well. However I'm worried about heat problems.

A lot of people told me M4600 with i7 2960XM CPU has lots of heat. i7 2960XM CPU uses 55W. Only 10 more watts from ordinary i7 CPU (45W) could generate much heat that can disturb users.

In our case, we're going from m5100's 45W to 80W so I guess laptop can run pretty hot.
    I think buying RX560 with a USB laptop fan could solve that issue.