AMD RDNA GPUs thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Arondel, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You want ryzen 2? That's zen+. Perhaps you meant Zen 2 with Navi?

OEMs are bound to integrate zen 2 and Navi into laptops. Give them time. Plus the market share is going a bit more into AMD favour. Unfortunately, they (OEMs) are much faster integrating new Intel and NV hw into laptops than they are AMD.

What I'd like to see OEMs do is unlocking the BIOS for existing amd laptops and updating it with zen 2 support (for those that have removable CPUs).

We're probably going to first see versions of 3700x and navi 5700 in laptops (similar to what Asus gl702zc and acer predator Helios 500 did) followed by Zen 2 Apus once they are released (those should be really nice - provided the OEMs don't mess up the cooling and severity limit their tdp like they did in the case of 2700u).

Arguably the cpu and gpu portions will see good gains and probably better battery life. We might also see 6c/12th and 8c/16th Zen2 APUs... But this may be more likely on 7nm+ or Zen 3 in 2020.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I thought it was an OEM part for system builders first, then production for consumer AIB cards will follow:

Early AMD Radeon RX 5500 OEM Testing Shows RX 580-Level Performance With Less Power
    AMD Radeon RX 5500 OEM sample fails to topple the GTX 1660.
    By Zhiye Liu 17 hours ago
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-5500-oem-early-benchmark-results

"AMD formally announced the Radeon RX 5500 last month, but did not mention pricing or a release date. However, German media Heise reportedly got its hands on an OEM version of the component and posted early benchmark results of AMD's upcoming mid-range graphics card.

The graphics card Heise reviewed came from inside a HP Pavilion Desktop (TP01-0004ng) PC that Heise requested for review.

PC Partner reportedly produced Heise's Radeon RX 5500 graphics card. The name probably won't sound familiar to you, but the PC Partner's Zotac, Inno3D and Manli brands should.

AMD's Radeon RX 5500 will be available with up to 8GB of GDDR6 memory, but the publication's sample came packing 4GB and adheres to AMD's reference specifications for the graphics card.

The Radeon RX 5500 in question features a compact dual-slot design, plus a simple black plastic shroud and a single cooling fan. For an OEM product, it doesn't look that bad. However, we expect AMD's partners to dazzle us with more elaborate designs when custom third-party cards arrive.

Heise noted that while the RX 5500 supports the PCIe 4.0 interface, the graphics card it tested can only exploit eight of the 16 PCIe lanes. The RX 5500 is rated with a 150W TBP (typical board power), and, therefore, requires a single 8-pin PCIe power connector. The graphics card provides two DisplayPort outputs and one HDMI port for connecting displays."

More details and benchmarks - OEM card, remember HP isn't the top end performing end of the market so there should be faster results out there soon when the consumer versions of the AIB cards are released.

There is a lot of demand at that space in the marketplace so system builders will want to build out for the Holiday sales, of course same for consumer cards but if AMD is doling out 7nm production it may need to slice it thin enough that it's happening in series instead of parallel.

Also that title is misleading, and this article comment straightens them out:

King_V 22 November 2019 17:58
    "I see comments in the article about it failing to topple the 1660, but wasn't AMD's stated goal to outperform the 1650?

From the link to the RX5500 announcement performance-wise, AMD puts this card up against a GTX 1650 in order to compare it to “similarly positioned products.”

In AMD’s internal testing, the RX 5500 beats the GTX 1650 (both mobile and desktop cards) by a fair amount, but does so with notably higher power consumption -- which we’ll touch on shortly.

According to AMD’s press materials, we can expect 90 fps in Gears 5, 82 fps inBorderlands 3, and 60 fps in Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, while eSports titles such asFortnite, Apex Legends, PUBG, WoW, Overwatch, and Rainbow Six: Seige are all 90 fps or above.

Was there any expectation that it would outperform the 1660? I mean, nice if does in final form, but I didn't think anyone was expecting it.

Now, if it turns out that the 1650 Super performs on the level of the 1660 non-Super, then AMD has a bit of a problem on its hands, and the price is definitely going to have to undercut the 1650 Super.

But, I suspect that, if they're offering near-1660 performance for 1650 money, then they're in a good place with this.

Any which way, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the released version performs, relative to the Polaris cards, as well as to the 1650 Super. I imagine that, if previous patterns remain consistent, it's going to win on price/performance if not on outright performance in its tier."

Here's a bunch of gaming benchmarks RX 5500 vs RX 580:

RX 5500 vs RX 580 Benchmarks | 59 tests
    Nov 23, 2019
    Benchmark PC Tech
    AMD RX 580 vs AMD RX 5500 BENCHMARK REVIEW / DX12 INCLUDED / GAMING TESTS – 1080p / 1440p / 4K

Specs: Radeon RX 5500 – 8 GB GDDR6 / 128-bit memory / Bandwidth 224 Gb/s. RX 5500 features 1408 RDNA cores. Base clock 1670, Boost clock 1845, Game Clock 1717, 110 W Graphics Card Power (W), 350 W Recommended System Power (W).

Of course the RX 5500 should cost less than the RX580 and fit better into a laptop, and with some driver updates the game to game performance should level out against the RX580. I didn't see any vendor name or cooler configuration info either. Maybe that's the low end reference configuration of the 8GB model.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    electrosoft likes this.
  4. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    2070 is defeated by the 5700xt
    2070 Super just nudges the VII and 5700xt
    2080 Super is the clear sensible high performance spot.
    2080ti is just a flat out beast

I wish AMD would drop a 5900xt of some sort to compete.

average-fps_2560_1440.png

hmscott likes this.
  5. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's coming. In fact expect 2080Ti to be dethroned.

hmscott and electrosoft like this.
  6. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.