AMD Radeon 6630M? Overclockable?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by beomsu21, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the whole benchmark takes about 10 to 12 minutes. the CPU part ends in about a minute if i remember correctly.

2. absolutehellos

absolutehellos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got my 3DMark06 score here:
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2430M Processor,Sony Corporation VAIO score: 7719 3DMarks

During the benchmark, there were some odd yellow spots (likely artifacts) that were shown sometimes. Time to up the voltage.

The program thought the 6630m was the 6750m (well they are essentially the same chip anyway). Maximum of 69 Celsius.

How did you get higher 3DMarks? My settings are nearly the same (725/1075/904), but with artifacts.

3. FahrenheitGTI

FahrenheitGTI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. Cubic X

Cubic X Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not true. The 6630m has DDR3 memory while the 6750M has the much faster GDDR5 memory, this alone improves performance bij 25-30%.

5. darxide_sorcerer

Reputations:
    this is weird. i think there's something wrong with your setup (maybe the drivers?) with your clocks, you should be getting a 3DMark06 score close to 10k. (my 725/975/908 settings get a score of 9512.) and yes, if you see artifacts, your OC is not stable. increase your core voltage a bit more and run it again, and watch the temperatures.

EDIT: your CPU score is very low compared to mine. are you checking its temperatures as well? it might be getting too hot and throttling down (are you running in Silent Mode profile?)

6. absolutehellos

Reputations:
    Yes, I am running on Silent Mode, that's why the CPU is throttled (at 1.5Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz in the link), thus score is lower. But I want to keep the temperatures low during the benchmark. If I change the VAIO control centre to performance mode profile, I will probably get 80c for the CPU during the benchmark, not really a good idea for CPU life.

Drivers shouldn't be a problem, I haven't touched it at all. (I updated to the newest drivers from Sony before, but that added the Catalyst Control Centre, so I reverted it).

Maybe the memory clocks are a little high (and require a lot of voltage, so I'll try your settings when I'll get to it later).

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Meh, your CPU will die in 15 years instead of 17, life could be worse.

8. darxide_sorcerer

Reputations:
    ^ +1 above! besides, SE's cooling is more efficient than that of SA, so i don't think you need to worry about the CPU getting to 80C. even if it does, it's still in the safe zone.

9. absolutehellos

Reputations:
    Just finished the benchmark with your settings except 903 voltage (I thought the 8 was a 3, haha), I got much less artifacts now, time to bump the voltage up to 908. Guess you are wrong about my chip being a "golden one", the voltage increase for the previous extra memory overclock (1075) isn't really worth it even though it still runs with artifacts and no crash.

Here's the new score on Performance Mode (it's still lower than your score for no reason): AMD Radeon HD 6750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2430M Processor,Sony Corporation VAIO score: 8828 3DMarks

Max of 88 Celsius (especially gets hot during CPU tests), that is way too uncomfortable for me unless if I have spare cash for a notebook cooler. Intel recommends staying below 72C, if I recall correctly.

And no, the cooling is likely identical to the other 13" S Series. The fan is rather pathetic (it's only a few millimetres thin I believe, and here's a link for the photo: http://forum.notebookreview.com/son...se-owners-thread-post8111368.html#post8111368)

10. FahrenheitGTI

FahrenheitGTI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, it's the same core, just different video RAM. Sorry, I should have clarified, I meant chip as in the actual core.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.