AMD Radeon 6630M? Overclockable?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by beomsu21, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    as I said every card is different, use vantage to gauge if its artifacting (problems on the image and so forth) BSODs, locks

dont try to raise that high at first go slow, that was his maximum overclock that was stable, it doesnt mean that you are going to get that high.

His clocks are even higher than the 6730m

2. kennytran91

kennytran91 Guest

Reputations:
    Okay that makes sense, but would you even recommend overclocking it then, since I think you said overclocking raises the temperatures +/- 5c and my laptop already runs around 85c-95c while playing the game?

3. annoyingmouse

annoyingmouse Newbie

Reputations:
    You misunderstood, I UNDERclocked my CPU, as in reduced clock speeds. It is the graphics that I overclocked.

edit: btw, Overclocking threads have an understood unstated disclaimer that your mileage may vary. I never meant to imply that my clock speeds would be universal for all 6630Ms or Vaio SAs.

4. Griphine

Griphine Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I'm new, my name is Tony.

I have Trixx and it works well with 6630M on my VAIO.
    I wanted to know your differents stables overclock ?

Thank you in advance.

5. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the 3DMark06 score for my VAIO SA for 600MHz/900MHz (GPU/memory) is 8566, and i use TriXX as well. additional details: SM2.0 2995, HDR/SM3.0 3796, CPU 3613.

6. Griphine

Griphine Newbie

Reputations:
    I was on 600MHz/850MHz, yours is better. :)

Thks.

7. Griphine

Griphine Newbie

Reputations:
    Last question :

VAIO SA is built with a mxm graphic card or gpu ?

Edit : Merci Meaker.

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The chip is soldered straight to the motherboard.

9. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    so i tried gaming on my VAIO SA laptop. here's the report:

i installed EA Origin in a Sandboxie sandbox due to privacy concerns (Origin scans some completely unrelated folders on your HDD), and downloaded and installed FIFA 12 in the same sandbox as Origin.
    to play the game, i connected my laptop to an HDTV with an HDMI cable, enabled the Vsync and ATI Micro-Stuttering options, and set the following:
    resolution --> 1366x768 (the native resolution of the LCD TV),
    rendering quality --> high,
    MSAA --> 4x.
    the game ran fine with the stock-clocked GPU (485MHz/800MHz), but there were those times that i could notice some stuttering or frame drops (i don't know which one, as this is my first attempt at PC gaming after 16 years!). i then overclocked the Radeon HD 6630m with TRiXX to 650MHz/950MHz (GPU core/memory) and played for about 2 hours non-stop. everything was smooth, and the maximum GPU temperature was 76C, and it never went above. the laptop fan was running fast, but the game audio was covering it completely, so i was not distracted by that at all.

after that, i ran another 3DMark06 benchmark (default settings) with the new GPU/memory clocks (650MHz/950MHz), and the total score is 9019 (SM2.0 score: 3173, HDR/SM3.0 score: 4030). my previous 3DMark06 score for 600MHz/900MHz clocks were 8566 (SM2.0 score: 2995, HDR/SM3.0 score: 3796). the new score is about 18.5% higher than the score for the stock clocks (which is about 7614 according to a post in the SA owners' club thread).

i think i'll settle with these new clocks; they're stable and the laptop fan can completely handle the temperatures.

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Check the machine using Vantage. DirectX 9 support/optimization from ATI is lackluster as of late, but DX10/11 seem to run reasonably better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.