AMD Radeon 6630M? Overclockable?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by beomsu21, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    You are confusing things.

He overclocked the gpu not the cpu.

The temps would rise due to the overclock (gpu)

The temps that you posted are those for the gpu or cpu?

the amount of RAM doesnt matter.

And its granted that such a small device would make quite a noise under load. Even most gaming machines do, to expect silence when under load is to fight reality

2. DEagleson

DEagleson Gamer extraordinaire

Reputations:
    Just get a proper notebook cooler for them long gaming sessions.
    You wont regret it. :D

Also system ram does not affect GPU overclocking at all, at least to my understanding.

3. kennytran91

kennytran91 Guest

Reputations:
    So would you recommend downloading TriXX and overclocking it or no? And I'm not sure if it's cpu or gpu, but I have Core Temp and both the red and blue numbers displayed usually are about the same. So if I overclock using TriXX from what you said, would that rise the temperatures even more? Are those temperatures considered really high and bad? And it just bothers me how loud it is because even my old SR-190 didn't make THAT loud of a sound.

Also, is it normal for the trackpad to become non-responsive when I have sweaty fingers? (I have a condition where my entire hands will sweat excessively when I'm focusing on someting) Because my old SR-190's trackpad had absolutely no problems with my sweaty fingers and this one just freaks out and I have to wipe the pad with my shirt or some napkins. What should I do to fix this, put some type of film over the pad to prevent moisture..?

4. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    lets do this by parts

get 3dmark vantage and use a software called hwmonitor to check the temps, report back with a screenshot, with this we can see if your temps are too high. And yes usually overclocking leads to higher temps in the case of 2-5c this is usually the case, sometimes it can go higher, but since I dont know if you are giving me the cpu temps or the gpu temps, I cant say if its good or not to overclock, but as you can see there are a lot of vaio SA owners who do overclock their gpus, so its safe to assume that no harm will come due to high temps.

Usually I repaste my cpu and gpu to ensure better cooling, sometimes it drops quite a bit, sometimes not

your old SR is also twice as thick as this one. My mbp when pushed to 6000rpm on the fans also makes quite a racket as most 13'' do. You also have to see that any notebook under load makes quite a noise, another thing that you can do is to keep your notebook up to date, there was a bios fix for the SA due to the fans being too noisy.

The trackpad used now are capacitive, gives you better accuracy, but dont play that well with water, check your touchscreen cell, it wont work.

5. kennytran91

kennytran91 Guest

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

And the picture above is taken while Heroes of Newerth is open.

And I don't know how to post the 3D vantage but does this work?

AMD Radeon HD 6750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2520M Processor,Sony Corporation VAIO score: P4042 3DMarks

I tried finding the Sony BIOS update on Sony USA but couldn't see it, could you link me?
    It just bothers me that when I'm in class and trying to focus on listening and quickly typing and editing some stuff, my trackpad just bugs out because my fingers are wet :/

6. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    the idea of vantage is to see how far in temps your pc can go.

the cpu is getting quite warm, while your gpu is pretty ok.

so yeah download trixx and oc the thing, the program is pretty much self explanatory, just slide the core clock and memory clock, with small increments (5-10mhz each time) and test it to see if its stable (play a game or run vantage)

you could try to repaste the cpu and the gpu, its pretty easy and its no rocket science

7. alxlbf2

alxlbf2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Use ATi Tool to test if the GPU is stable and log the temps with GPU-Z. My i3 380M is usually @ 60C and my HD5650m/HD5730m is @ 70C (Chopper mod) while i am gaming. Its really depending on the game BFBC2 lets run my notebook much hotter than Minecraft :) or CoD4.

8. kennytran91

kennytran91 Guest

Reputations:
    But doesn't Vantage take like 10+ minutes to run? And trying to run it after every 5-10 mhz would take forever. Also, I don't know how to tell if it is even stable or not.
    Right now on TriXX, my Core clock is 485, Memory Clock is 800 and GPU voltage is 900, which is the lowest setting. Someone said to set the core at 700 and memory at 950 to be safe, but I don't know if this is verified or not :/

9. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    every card is different, thats why you try by doing those increments.

the 6650m is 600 core and 900 ram

try that first, if it works go for the increments

10. kennytran91

kennytran91 Guest

Reputations:
    Well the person who told me to set it at 700 and 950 has an SA290X also, so that means he would also have the 6630m. It would just be so much easier to set it at the right setting at the start because I just don't know how to gauge if it is working or not, like would the computer crash, the temperature go off the chart, or will something else tell me it's wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.