AMD Radeon 6630M? Overclockable?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by beomsu21, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajnauron

ajnauron Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Better than the highest stock 540m, but not OCed.

2. IceQubed

IceQubed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, I'm getting this really weird issue, for some reason Afterburner thinks I can only go to 20MHz core & memory?!
    vVSph.jpg

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 with HD6630m GPU

3. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i never used MSI Afterburner (does not work on my laptop). have you tried Sapphire TRiXX?

4. Ni9htwing

Ni9htwing Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, for some time I've been researching the overclocking options and abilities of the 6630m and here's what I found:

1. Trixx can possibly give black screens/BSODs. Happened to me on Battlefield 3 and since I stopped using it I had no problems (the issue can be driver related and is not observed by anyone else)

2. MSI Afterburner is a very useful option for overclocking
    a. initially Unofficial overclocking has to be enabled in the config file to be able to overclock at all, but has the following limits: Core clock: 630MHz, Memory Clock: 1040MHz, no Voltage control. Use this guide to enable unofficial overclocking: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906
    b. overclocking limits can be raised by following this guide: Enable Higher Clock Limits With -xcl + .dlls (not Unofficial Method) - Guru3D.com Forums THIS WILL ALSO ENABLE ATI/AMD OVERDRIVE AND AFFECT ITS OWN LIMITS, located in the CCC panel (more info in point 3) to Core clock 820MHz, Memory Clock: 1210MHz. !!!You also need to enable unofficial overclocking first, set some overclocked values (e.g. 630/930 is very stable for me) and hit apply for the aforementioned guide to work!!!

3. AMD Overdrive - best OC program for me :p
    a. it can be unlocked by following 2b
    b. to rise its limits (if they have not been raised already) repeat 2b
    c. HOW TO CONTROL VOLTAGE (works on EVERY DRIVER VERSION, including 12.11):
    - Create a preset in CCC
    - Go to C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles\
    - Right-click on the chosen preset and choose edit
    - Edit the line with the desired voltage value (900 here means 0.900v - the default value):
    Code:
     "CoreVoltageTarget_PCI_VEN_1002&DEV_6741&SUBSYS_907B104D&REV_00_4&FF5C90C&0&0008A">
              Property name="Want_0" value="[COLOR="#FF0000"]900[/COLOR]" />
              Property name="Want_1" value="[COLOR="#FF0000"]900[/COLOR]" />
              Property name="Want_2" value="[COLOR="#FF0000"]900[/COLOR]" />

- choose the preset from the CCC menu and you are done

4. The PowerPlay issue - the card may be stuck at 100MHz\150MHz if it is disabled from the CCC menu, re-enable it to fix the issue

5. Trixx voltage control - it will initially appear hidden in the newer drivers for the video card, but if you apply the guide from 2b, or just use the -xcl command and reboot it will show up

Hope this info was helpful and will update the post when I find more stuff :p

5. IceQubed

IceQubed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It seems to think it can go to 30MHz. Could somebody please let me know what on earth is going on? I've looked everywhere with absolutely no information. Surely somebody must know what is causing this behaviour.

jh0GU.jpg

6. Superlaw

Superlaw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello All... great thread!!

I have the Sony Vaio S-Series: Model VPCSB190x which has been running pretty loud and hot. My GPU idles at 60C and is constantly in the 80s when playing C9 on the second from lowest settings. I am getting FPS drop and microstutter throughout the game. Looking into the possibility of dynamic switching being turned on when I get home. Anyway, I am going to open it up today and clean out all the dust as I am pushing past the 15 months timeline without doing so. Now I am really into optimizing my comps but I have never overclocked. I read on this thread that the 6630M comes underclocked and I would like to raise my Core and Memory by a bit once I solve some of the heat issues through my cleaning.

So my question is... is it safe to use the generic AMD drivers? I am using the updated AMD driver from Sony and it says on the AMD website the drivers won't work for Sony products. But you all seem to have CC 12.X.... o_O

Is there a recommended version I can use that would improve the driver without messing my system up? On another point, once I boost my GPU... I want to underclock my CPU some, as I think I have more than enough power there. Do you guys use the Advanced Settings in the Power Plans on Win7 to do this? Or use 3rd-party software?

7. darxide_sorcerer

Reputations:
    ok, i have the 2011 SONY VAIO SA which uses the exact graphics switching technology your laptop is using. about drivers, you can use any official mobility driver from AMD. the caveat is that if you want to keep the graphics switching functionality (the STAMINA/SPEED switch), you have to install the AMD driver on top of a SONY driver. if you don't care about the Intel iGPU and want to use the AMD dGPU constantly, then you can uninstall SONY GPU drivers completely and do a clean install of the AMD driver; that way your AMD GPU will always be used. also, newer AMD drivers (anything past 12.2, if i'm not mistaken) seem to have a video playback bug on our laptops which makes flash videos (like YouTube) green and local DirectX-accelerated video files black in Windows. i don't know if it's been resolved in the newest beta driver (13.2 Beta 4) or not.

i have installed AMD mobility Catalyst 11.9 on top of SONY's September 2011 drivers (which are based on 11.6), and it's been working fine. as for overclocking, you should use Sapphire TRiXX [link] to increase the core and memory clocks. also, any AMD driver older than (and including) 11.9 has the overvolt functionality enabled by default as well, so you can tweak the GPU voltage as well (don't change it much, more than ~ 5mV, if you're not comfortable with this).

8. Superlaw

Superlaw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. i opened up my laptop and cleaned it out. 3-5C improvement in my idle temp. now i have keys that dont work tho and my leds dont light up. i tried resetting the keyboard ribbon cable. it was in there firmly but now different keys dont work. i have tried a new keyboard driver and the power off and remove battery fix... didnt work :( any suggestions?

9. darxide_sorcerer

Reputations:
  10. martino

martino Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the information.

Step 2b has allowed me to increase the voltage which I badly needed to get any overclock going at all (it would freeze even on 600/700 for me). Strangely enough I was never able to get MSI Afterburner to work after this step, since even after removing the DLLs it would keep asking for a reboot every time I tried to start it up. Trixx works fine though, which is good enough.

I'm currently running Leshcat's 12.11, which seems to be on par performance-wise with 11.9. I noticed some sweet speed improvements with 13.1/13.4, however I tried these before the DLL trick. I'm feeling a bit worried about going forward again as my current setup is stable, so has anyone tried this trick with drivers newer than 12.11?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.