AMD Radeon 6630M? Overclockable?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by beomsu21, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    my SA is not stable at all with 725MHz core/975MHz memory unless i bump the voltage up to 908mV. besides, i don't even game on those settings, but use 725/945/904 for less stress on the GPU and less heat. the extra 2 or 3 frames per second is not worth it for me. i just tried those clocks to see how far i can push the chip.

i totally understand your reservation. that's why i got a cooling pad for my SA for when i'm playing Battlefield 3.

there is more space in the SE's chassis for the air to move compared to SA. i think SE's fan is also bigger a bit (this is SA's).

2. absolutehellos

absolutehellos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Final test with your "good enough" settings (725/945/904) on Performance Mode: no artifacts (if you don't consider one entire yellow screen flash for very quick moment, maybe some milliseconds during the serpent and flying boat benchmark).

Benchmark score here (still can't get into the 9000s, I'm stuck in 8000s range): AMD Radeon HD 6750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2430M Processor,Sony Corporation VAIO score: 8663 3DMarks

I'll stick with this setting, it's only about 0.5-1 FPS lower than the 725/975 setting for the benchmark, but 4C cooler (84C load, still very hot though).

A little off-topic, but now I am interested in undervolting the CPU (for cooler temperatures). Any good software for that purpose?

3. darxide_sorcerer

Reputations:
    afaik, you cannot undervolt the Core i CPUs. you could with the previous Core architecture (Core 2 Duo, e.g.), but not with the newer ones.

4. absolutehellos

absolutehellos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why is it not possible to undervolt the (1st and 2nd gen) Core i series CPUs? Because there is no software support for newer generation tech?

Again, sorry for going off topic, as undervolting is also relevant in CPUs (and GPUs) as well.

5. darxide_sorcerer

Reputations:
    i'm definitely not an expert on the subject, but i've been told by the experts at NBR that Intel has apparently disabled (or removed?) that functionality for the end-user. sorry! i don't know anything more about this issue.

6. aaronjb

aaronjb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello - thanks to everyone for the excellent thread. I had no idea there was so much headroom in a 6630M.

I picked up a Sony Vaio SA model with a 6630M. While I can use Trixx to adjust core/memory clocks on the GPU, I don't seem to be able to adjust voltage; that field is blank.

Any tips on how to adjust GPU voltage?

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
  8. darxide_sorcerer

Reputations:
    you have to use Catalyst 11.9 or earlier drivers. apparently, AMD has disabled the ability to change the core voltage in 11.10+ drives.

9. tmae

tmae Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is there a way to undevolt the 6630m in a dell vostro 3550?
    in trixx i can only raise the voltage, and in msi afterburner i cant change any voltages, too?

10. xinhang

xinhang Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tried to overclock my 6630m on my vaio sa. The overclocking part is very simple, but I cannot get the card to reset to original clock in TriXX. Everytime i press reset the program force close itself. Can someone give me some suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.