AMD GPU options returning to Alienware?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Game7a1, Mar 13, 2020.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Any chance we see 105W Ryzens in Clevos or 51M?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would love to see AMD return to Dell, competition is a good thing. Anyone who doesn't think so has their head stuck in the sand IMHO (14nm++++++++++ anyone). The new 4k series AMD CPUs would likely be a welcomed addition, as would the 5700M. AMD does need to get Ryzen master working on their mobile CPUs though (it doesn't currently work on them), and there is no way to actually undervolt their mobile CPUs.

Rei Fukai, Mr. Fox and etern4l like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I am not sure. If there is money to be made then chances are we will. That seems to be the only thing that really matters to the companies that manufacture laptops.

Yes we definitely need competition. But we need it in all performance tiers. Competing only for low end budget hardware kind of sucks unless that is all you want. AMD is finally pushing the envelope on desktop CPUs. Not very much on mobile CPU or on the desktop or mobile GPU front. I would be sad to see people settle for less to support a brand that is content to offer less.

custom90gt and etern4l like this.
  4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    With their 7nm mobile chips coming out and the possibility of a 5700m, I don't see how that's not an attempt at competing on higher end tiers.

Papusan, etern4l and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I guess we will need to see how it performs. If it is less than 2070 level it still falls below middle range. The also need to lighten up on clock blocking things if they want to be taken seriously. I hope they do because the need for serious competition is undeniable.

Papusan and custom90gt like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If AMD only will be able to come on par with Intel chips from last year so isn't this much to be happy about. At least if we talk about performance uplift.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...n-reach-of-an-18W-GeForce-MX250.455357.0.html

For the GPU performance I can't see AMD will be able to compete at all in lang time. Nvidia will push down any attempt from AMD. What they will be able to offer is less performance at a cheaper price point.
    Still nice seeing AMD up against Intel and Nvidia for the first time in long time for notebooks.

7. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Intel hasn't had any real increases in CPU performance since skylake, just more cores. This is what happens when there is no competition. I am glad to see AMD dominating the Time Spy Extreme CPU scores, seems like a positive push to me. I am hopeful having a 7nm variant in the laptop will be a good benefit as well.

Rei Fukai, Papusan and etern4l like this.