AMD FirePro M6100 overclocking vBIOS mod (+ 8***M and R9 M*** series)

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by valuxin, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Pettiford

Pettiford Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, two quick questions:

Im wondering which version to use in the precision m6700? Does it need its own vbios or is it compatible with one of these?

and,
    my vbios has UEFI checked in gpu z, but my laptop is booting in legacy mode. I guess i dont really understand how this works, will this create problems if I have to reflash to the original vbios?

2. Pettiford

Pettiford Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I used the m6600 mystery magic vbios 1150@1650, flashed in windows with command prompt. Works great on my m6700. Fan control is definitely an issue, the bios will let the card get into the 90s without turning on the fans, but HWinfo is working just fine to control them.

The only other issue: for some reason i have serious throttling at 70 C, only after the game or benchmark has been open for a while. The only way to fix it is to keep the gpu under 70, which is actually possible with hwinfo fan control. The fans do get loud, but I doubt i can get it any cooler with a repaste. Im thinking about creating some kind of device like a cooling pad to see if i can keep the fans from having to go full blast.

EDIT: So I could not find away around the throttling, which Im still not sure is temperature based. Using the undervolted vbios (100tdp_1100@1500) , it seems to remove the problem, even above 70C. I think it was actually TDP throttling after a set amount time consuming more than 75W. So after the power draw has been over 75W for 5 minutes, it starts downclocking to the base 300 MHZ every few seconds. So far the undervolt is stable and performs very well, never gets above 72W. I think on my card it would be stable at 1150, but software OC is not working. 1200 with the undervolt is not stable during gaming. I think this issue only applies to the M6700
    1100@1500 UV.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  3. Echoa

Echoa Newbie

Reputations:
    this is the same issue i ran into on my m6600

I tried every bios i could to try and run without throttling but unfortunately none but the undervolted one do. The 1188 mmv2 was more stable than v1 1150 but it still would throttle some and only added 1fps in firestrike or roughly 100pts. Seems the ideal bios to use is the 1100/1500 undervolted as it doesnt pass 75w and stays 75c or less. Its performance also seems to be pretty similar to the MM bios and i couldnt get software overclocking working on any of the MM bios which doesnt matter because it throttles alot anyway even with good temps

4. Echoa

Echoa Newbie

Reputations:
    Quick update on getting overclocking running. You have to install an older version of the AMD gaming driver. I used Crimson 17.9 personally but it should just be any pre Adrenaline dinner.
    AMD has picked firepro cards from overclocking in the latest drivers unfortunately.

Issues still remain largely the same, clocks are very unstable and can't get it to maintain anything above 1112mhz for extended periods unless the card stays under 75w.

5. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Trying to flash this with mine, ATI flash simply states "VBIOS is not found" or something of the sort, and isn't recognized as a command in CMD

6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Im going to be buying this card soon, m6100 has the same performance as the 860m for 50 bucks.

Was going to try and allocate my funds for the w7170m but I think at this point just getting a decent GPU up and running will be fine for the time being. Then grab a WX 7100 instead of the W7170m at a later date.

@Grant B Gibson are you flashing while under PEG mode or SG?

7. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    I don't have an unlocked BIOS, never was able to flash it, so the iGPU is the primary, although using ATIWinFlash, it can see the HD 8950m. I believe ATIFlash overall is broken in the newest Win10 Version (1803)

As well, skip the W1710m and go for the WX, the next tier up in terms of performance

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    You should still be able to use the Fn key to swtich off to PEG mode Fn + F5. unlocked BIOS isnt required to switch back and forth.

Yeah, I wanted to get back to similar level of performance but I have other things to worry about. M6100 isnt far off the m290x and I can easily cool this chip if I can avoid the throttling woes people experience here. Maybe another vBIOS modder like Klem can take a look at it since valuxin hasnt been active in a while.

I keep a Windows 7 ISO on a flash drive so if needed Ill just run a dual boot for a bit to get the vBIOS working.

WX may have more performance but its also 10x the cost lol. That and Im selling my 120hz panel save for the eDP cable. Ill be saving that for when ever I can get my hands on the G32 screen (8-bit/120hz/Matte) to which hopefully the WX7100 will work with without too much problems.

The other thing to consider is that the W7170m is low clocked compared to the 1Ghz desktop part. It has never been vBIOS modded. The card could sit between the 970m and 980m after modding. Could be a pipe dream, but so was reaching 1Ghz on the m5100 and after @valuxin helped me out, I was at 1.1Ghz.

Grant B Gibson likes this.
  9. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    I'll try it out, how can I tell if I was successful? Would the display be shown as connected to 8950m instead of the HD 4600?

If you want to get to that level of Perf, go for the 980m, they go reallllllllllly cheap now-a-days

10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Im not interested in Nvidia GPU's. Only used it in mine since it came with the machine. I wont deny the performance I just dislike supporting Nvidia and their practices.

Correct, you will not see the HD 4600 anymore, at least that is how I recall it. It will then be a dGPU in PEG.

James D and Grant B Gibson like this.