AMD FirePro M6100 overclocking vBIOS mod (+ 8***M and R9 M*** series)

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by valuxin, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Stepet

Stepet Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all.
    Could you please answer me how is this card(m6100) in gaming(dell m6600)? I mean modern game like a doom, battlefield 1, wither 3 and other. Is it big difference between stock and changed bios.
    What bios and driver is better for gaming?
    I read rhis topic, but i don't find any gaming benchmark.
    Please share this experience. Thank you.
    Sorry for my English

2. Stepet

Stepet Newbie

Reputations:
    Few days ago I tested m6100 in dell m6600. And it was not good. In rise of tomb raider benchmark on middle preset shows me average below 20fps. But in this review
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-FirePro-M6100.104947.0.html
    this gpu is overpowered. Why? The gpu, that i tasted was the same in specs.
    Is it depend on CPU or platform? Or gpu bios? Please explain me this.

3. darkydark

darkydark Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Check temperatures and core clocks. Also kill hairworks. Since you have sandy bridge cpu make sure you kill shadows, or at least set em low.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

4. Stepet

Stepet Newbie

Reputations:
    Why shadows make games unplayable?

5. Stepet

Stepet Newbie

Reputations:
    Temperature was about 71C degrees and cores abour 1050mhz. Looks fine but sad

6. Stepet

Stepet Newbie

Reputations:
    Does it better to bye m6100 i5-2520m than radeon 8850m with i7-4500U for gaming?

7. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I doubt. You can buy 2760QM for 50$ and upgrade with it (99% of success) or use even less for a budget i7 like a 2670QM/2630QM.
    It's possible that your CPU is a bottleneck in Rise of the Tomb Rider but pay attention that Tomb Rider game is not the same as Rise.... First one is 2013 game and second one is 2015.
    You can find out if that is a CPU bottleneck by lowering video settings. If difference is not very big then most likely it's CPU and AMD cards have somewhat higher standards for CPU than Nvidia cards.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  8. Chin_Chan_Lee

Chin_Chan_Lee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know if you still read this thread or not, but I'm just curious about whether you did anything to your Radeon R9 M290X before installing it to your Precision M6600, or if it it was literally just replace and reboot (I have an AMD Firepro M6100 right now).
    I could find very little to be helpful enough but how exactly does one flash the vBIOS of what is supposed to be an incompatible card to match that of the M6600?
    Normal BIOS flashing I have done, but not this.

9. dmgzd

dmgzd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Nope i got one that came from a alienware, put it in and it booted right up, i would advise using speedfan to keep an eye out for fan speed as well temps. My M6600 does have a overheating issue however my M6700 after 30min will ramp the fans and will be fine for gaming before 30min it will overheat and shut off. If you change yours out use the best thermal compound possible what i use is Thermal Grizzly.

10. Chin_Chan_Lee

Chin_Chan_Lee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also, is it an M290x that you have? or an 8970m? From what I've read, the m290x has 4GB of VRAM, whilst the others have 2. Regarding temperatures, I have no intentions of overclocking, I idle at ,mid 30s-mid 40sand under stress higher 50s. Don't know if that was the case for you too with a graphics card that isn't the m290x.
    is there something about a different heatsink/mounting cast that I heard somewhere in these forums that I can't quite recall?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018