AMD FirePro M6100 overclocking vBIOS mod (+ 8***M and R9 M*** series)

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by valuxin, Jun 18, 2015.

1. dmgzd

dmgzd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Valuxin, well im using the first bios mod you made for my R9 M290x i edited it for uefi and only using it for adding +25 to power. Seems to be working great. Thanks for the tip. I know this is isnt the right form for this but i see where you were working on HP Zbook's in saying how did you get past the thermal issues? With my M6100 from my dell i have it working in it however temps go between 100-107c with fan speed utility used to keep the fan at 100%. I am using the best thermal paste made thermal grizzly as well using copper adhisive tape in place of the plastic fan air director. The plastic strip that goes on top of the fan and heatsink to force the air out. That helped but only by 7c.

2. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @dmgzd, I didn't use Zbooks in the past, but you problem is definitely related to heatsink incapability problem - when it does not fit the video card well. I'm 100% sure that your GPU don't have 100% contact with heatsink. That's common and obvious reason in videocard upgrade experience. Try to order another heatsink that differs from the current - it should solve the problem.

3. vwrafi

vwrafi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello. Just a quick question. If I buy AMD M6100 video card from Dell M6600, will it work with Dell M6800? Should I flash M6100 from M6600 with vBIOS for M6100 for M6800?

4. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It will work just fine. But for better compatibility it's better to flash the vBIOS designed for M6800. But before flashing you should dump your vBIOS and clear out the board revision is in use to flash a proper vBIOS - do it with notepad.

5. vwrafi

vwrafi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thak you. I am familiar with updating the vBIOS on graphic card, but not really with the clearing the board revision. What should I do to clear the revision?

6. dmgzd

Reputations:
    Just wanted to update everyone reading this form. Dell released a new bios update. Don't do it if you are wanting to overclock your gpu. The fan profile has changed and no longer will ramp up to full speed before the bios update with speedfan my fans would ramp up to 5800rpm then after the update 3800rpm. That is on a M6600 with my M6700 it will ramp up to 4100rmp.

7. dmgzd

Reputations:
    As a follow up to my previous post on bios update and fan speed for the R9 M290x. Using speed fan utility i have found a way to allow for overclocking gpu and keep safe temps on M6700. On speed fan make sure automatic fan speed is checked then click configure->Option Delta value set to 1 and enable Dell support next go to Fan Control add Fan1 and Fan2 for names set one to Pwm1 and the other Pwm2 for method max of speeds then temperatures set to the dell gpu not the ati gpu once set click ok. Quit speed fan or reboot run speed fan after reboot or exit then use gpuz render test on gpuz click sensor tab and watch temperatures and on speed fan watch your fan rpm. It should start ramping over 3k rpm around 70-77c i have seen this delay to 83c but never any higher. For M6700 seems thermal shutdown on gpu is 86c.

8. cooldex

cooldex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey this a little off topic but i know valuxin is knowledgeable about dell precision's and drivers and bios modding , and i need help building a stable driver for my msi 1070 in my precision m7710 cause every driver i install crashes and reboot [video_tdr] & [video_memory_internal] blue screens. And is it possible to flash the p5000 bios to the msi 1070.

9. dmgzd

Reputations:
    Valuxin, I have been working with two models of precision M6600 and M6700. Both were working with an R9 m290x, then the recent bios update. My M6700 still works fine with your modded rom the only change i have made is enabling uefi. With the M6700 i did notice its very picky with what m290x is used both cards i have are Dell cards one is a green pcb the other blue. Only the blue one would work in my M6700 while my M6600 worked with both. After the recent dell bios update on my M6600 the fans will not ramp up past 2.5k rpm then thermal trip. My M6700 will ramp fans up when the video card reaches 76-77c it never goes past 83c as the fans will ramp to 90% 4.5k rpm. I have given up on the M6600 and installed my old firepro m6100 with your rom mod MM 1188-1650 v2 and it works perfectly again fans ramp up properly and highest recorded temp during stress test was 83c then just like my M6700 fans will ramp to 90% to bring temps down. Can you think of anything in the gpu rom that either controls the fans or signals the bios to ramp the fans? If so would it be possible to offset the temp being sent to trick bios to ramp fans early? I know this takes time and i have been trying to teach myself however as stated i hit an impasse. My last thought was to mod the rom of the working firepro m6100 to use on the R9 m290x.

10. dmgzd

Reputations:
    Oh i forgot to add i have also tried reverting to the previous bios with no change in fan behavior. I have also tried using a gtx 780m in my precision M6600 this gave an intel management error 207 even disabling intel management i could not get the laptop to boot with anything.