AMD FirePro M6100 overclocking vBIOS mod (+ 8***M and R9 M*** series)

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by valuxin, Jun 18, 2015.

1. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @dmgzd Nice to see you find my mod useful. The fan control thing is very complicated. You can't control fans on Precision M*600 and M*700 series though fan table modification in vBIOS (just to mention, there is no fan table originally in vBIOS). But you can control your fans manually with some keys combinations. Don't know all the details, but I was able to set my fans in low noise mode on my Precision M4600 HTPC system. Here're the combinations that could affect fans:
    • Fn + Shift + Z should reset fan controller settings
    • Fn + Shift + other letters (like Q W E R T A S D F X C) allow you to spinup or spindown the fans and save the configs.
    Probably, if you have asked me to make a complex mod for R9 M290X a year ago I might accept your offer, but for today I'm not so interested in AMD mods (until I'll get my Polaris card) and it would take so much spare time with high risks of bad mod version. For example, to make final mod for M6100 I've made and flashed nearly 100 vBIOSes before that :D Doing remote mods on hardware that I don't own isn't an easy task :)

@Mak8 Yeah, I'm using Hex to do this mods. It's not that easy and bit complex to edit values other than freqs. I'm not gonna make any tutorial about the modding any time soon, sorry :( Downclocking and undervolting MXM 3.0b type card is not the best decision. Yeah, it's possible and I could help to the mod if I have the hardware for that. I suggest you to buy some MXM 3.0a type card - they run quiet and cool even under heavy load on 17 inch machines and capable to have the performance even higher than M6100 could have (for example, Quadro M2000M). If you are interested, I have up for sale some handsome 3.0a type cards with nice performance: M2000M 4Gb, K2100M 2Gb, FirePro W5170M 2Gb.

2. dmgzd

dmgzd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Valuxin could you at least tell me how you are editing and what tools you use? Also with your M6100 bios mod i was able to control the gpu fan on my M6600. I like the mod you made for my M290x however could you please look into 2 things for me. One being its sluggish to hit 1000mhz and stays at 900mhz for a few minutes then ramps up. It's not due to heat as doing a stress test max temp is 82c and stays at 1000mhz. The next is i can not alter the frequency at all if i try and underclock or overclock my screen starts jumping and tearing. I didnt have much money to spare this month however i did want to say thanks, in saying check your paypal.

3. valuxin

Reputations:
    @dmgzd First of all, thanks a lot for your donation and seems like I have no choice to make a bit more of modifications :D Here's a new mod for your R9 M290X:
    • Core clocked to 925Mhz, Memory clock remains the same
    • Voltage upped from 1.175 to 1.2
    • OverDrive is on and have the following max values: 1050Mhz for core, 1500Mhz for memory, 20% for TDP
    • Default TDP upped from 81W to 100W
    • Added Fan table with following settings: 0% till 40c, 100% at 75c.
    Try this one. I hope it'll work fine for you. Also, there is a thing that might affect in bad way to software overclocking. MSI AfterBurner creates a table in regestry with freqs, TDPs and so on. Before flashing the mod I'm highly recommend you to remove AfterBurner, clean the registry with CCleaner and install it again. Also, there is a risk, that this mod will not run on your system and you'll have to do a blind reflash.

P.S. I'm using Hex editor only for modifications (Hex Editor Neo is my favorite). As I said earlier, there is so much of complicated things and like Prema, I don't willing to share my secrets any time soon:)

Attached Files:

4. dmgzd

Reputations:
    First i want to say thanks, I am not using afterburner since your first mod enabled amd overdrive. But i flashed this one and got no display on internal or external monitors. Luckly my laptop booted and i was able to rdp into it and flash the bios back to your previous mod. I appreciate the time and effort you have put into this i will get the hex editor you are using and do a side by side comparison of the two mods. Totally up to you but if you could send some screenshots of what areas you edit for different functions that would be awesome. I would love to learn and help the community out just as you do.

5. dmgzd

Reputations:
    I noticed this change on the third line could you tell me a bit about it?
    upload_2017-5-19_9-22-17.png

6. dmgzd

Reputations:
    I just ran into a bigger problem, i had a thermal trip on a reboot and could not get any display. Looking into it i noticed that all the edited bios's are missing the uefi. So i had to flash the original bios back.

7. valuxin

Reputations:
    @dmgzd Sad to hear you have no success with last mod. It's nice that you could recover:) Just found nice article here which describes mostly what I'm doing (but I had no such nice tools for the moment).

This spot is CRC (checksum) value. After doing mods you have to fill it with appropriate value.

While doing alpha mods I always disable UEFI mode so that could not affect to the result. You could enable it by setting 0000023d value to 00 (80 to disable it).

I'll try to do some more mods, but it'll take some time.

8. dmgzd

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tips, it actually helped me with my hp zbook 17 g1. Not finished with it yet, my old M6100 from my dell isn't playing nice. As for my precision m6600 dont worry about creating a bios i appreciate all that you have done, really the only thing i wanted to do is adjust fan speed. However with the default firmware max temperature that i have seen is 81c to me that's still a bit hot but i guess not that bad. I wasn't even planning on using the r9 m290x in my dell i got it for the zbook. However seems the zbook is even worse on temperatures even after buying the full copper heatsink. I didn't like using hybrid graphics with amd, nvidia is great at switching amd not so much. Again valuxin thanks.

9. Grattle

Grattle Newbie

Reputations:
    Valuxin - is it possible to use your method of modifying video bios enabling use with Dell M6600 laptops on other cards? There are so many cards that just won't work in the M6600 that could, but don't seem to have some vbios flag set.

It would be awesome for M6600 users if you could share this info.

For example, I used to own a GTX 765M card, but the laptop refused to boot into windows because it wasn't blessed by Dell.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  10. valuxin

Reputations:
    It's not about vBIOS mod at all. I've deeply investigated into this problem not so long ago and the problem is in extremely bad engineered ACPI table of the system BIOS. Idk why Dell didn't fix it during 16 BIOS updates, but this garbage in ACPI table don't allow us to use any nvidia cards based on Kepler and higher. As for AMD, any cards will work fine, but Embedded controller can't read GPU temps and, due to this, don't control GPU fan. Kepler and newer card are working under Linux with ACPI off (what leads too no power control features - freqs on GPU and CPU stay the same all the time). I see no hope that Dell will fix it any time soon (probably never) and the only thing that might help is to find some smart BIOS engineer and try to solve the problem.

The funniest thing is that my 9 years old Core 2 Duo Acer laptop works without any problems with M2000M and GTX 965m... HP Elitebook workstations have no problem either.