AMD FirePro M6100 overclocking vBIOS mod (+ 8***M and R9 M*** series)

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by valuxin, Jun 18, 2015.

1. blacksmoke

blacksmoke Newbie

Reputations:
    no, i don't see this option.. i'll pin here some pics under spoiler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dmgzd

dmgzd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wanted to say thank you valuxin, i revisited trying to flash one of your bios for my precision M6600's firepro m6100. The issue was with the version of my card its bios was for the M6800. So after flashing your bios for the m6800 it worked, performance is so much better and the card is not throttling near as much. Though the fans still do not spin up to 100% which i would love it if they would. Last i would like to ask have you ever modded the bios for a Quadro 5000m? I have one in my older precision m6500 and haven't had any luck doing so myself.

3. dmgzd

Reputations:
    valuxin, i recently upgraded my Precision M6600 to an R9 m290x aka HD 8970m. It works great with quite a bit more performance than the M6100, the issue i am having is one you fixed with your bios tweaks. The fan does not show at all no percentages nor can you control via MSI afterburner like you could with your M6100 bios. Not as important but power limit percentage isn't adjustable. I wish i knew how to modify the bios files, i have many different mobile gpus and would love to help the community like you are doing. Anyways could you take a look at the bios of this card and see if you can modify it? Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-j1XmEwE9wDQjJNRFhTVDg4U0k/view?usp=sharing

4. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    99% of mobile cards can't be flashed without de-soldering using clips. But i see no reason to do so - software method is just enough for any situations. When my M6100 failed with my vBIOS mod and laptop couldn't boot with the card - I'd just shorted pin 1 and pin 8 of the vBIOS chip so that it could the POST and reflash it with Atiflash.

5. valuxin

Reputations:
    Some time ago I had 5010m in my HP 8760w and I see no reason in overclocking it coz it was hot like hell in stock. I've even managed to burn my skin a little while playing on my knees xD So the answer is nope. And even for today this task isn't so easy and absolutely hex based.

6. valuxin

Reputations:
    Since it have been a thousands of years when I was doing serious mods for AMD cards - it'll take lots of free time to do a proper mod for this card. At least, I've done a light mod with some useful things:
    • Core is clocked from 950 to 1000Mhz, core voltage upped from 1.175 to 1.2
    • TDP upped from 81W to 100W, unlocked software TDP override up to 150W
    • Unlocked software overclocking with max freqs of 1500Mhz for core and 2000Mhz for memory

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    dmgzd likes this.
  7. dmgzd

Reputations:
    Thanks, what utility do you use to do the editing? Before i flash this one were you able to see anything over having fan control? As you know these high end mobile cards already run hot and without any control over the fan i cant make a custom fan profile. Attached is a screen shot of what info i get over the fan now.
    upload_2017-5-13_11-28-52.png

8. dmgzd

Reputations:
    Valuxin, did you see my previous post. I have tried to find some tool to look into the bios. I guess Hex editor is the only thing that works?

9. dmgzd

Reputations:
    Valuxin I applied the bios you made and was pretty nice. First I went with 50% on power and score went down so moved to 20% and got 200 points higher. Oh and your tweak made amd overdrive available so really cool, however i can not overclock nor under-clock at all the screen starts to tear and shake on the 2d desktop the second after i hit apply. I really wish there was a way you could show me how you edit these bios files would be awesome to learn. As for temps highest i seen was 82c fan ramps up but still cant control it no see the percentage. You do awesome work and i can understand a master wanting to keep their secrets, if that is the case i would be willing to pay you for some help on making a custom bios for this R9M290x in order to play nicer with my Precision M6600. But thank you for what you made it gives me something to look at and enjoy. Attached is the new Performance Test by Passmark.

upload_2017-5-16_18-10-24.png

10. Mak8

Mak8 Newbie

Reputations:
    Valuxin, is there a way to share info how exactly can be edited bios of m6100? I'm kind of looking for oposite, I need to downvolt and downclock the card to reduce the heat it produces and the noise of the fan.
    So I'm in the search for an editor for quite a while and it seems there aren't any... :(
    I'm up for hex editing if its the only oportunity left in my case to find the lowest border I can hit and still run a couple of simple games at decent framerate.