AMD FirePro M5100 overclocking - vBIOS mod (Dell Precision M4800)

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by scrlk, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Pettiford

Pettiford Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. Pettiford

Reputations:
    I would love to!

please tell me how to share it

3. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As I said previously - all I need is your vBIOS.

4. Pettiford

Reputations:
    ok got it, sorry i didnt understand how to upload it :p

Attached Files:

5. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hm... Looks like it's original rom. Yeah, it's possible to overclock GPU with stock vBIOS in Afterburner, but I can't get why you have 1.1v under load. To improve performance, you could try vBIOS mod.

P.S.Your previous card was also AMD FrirePro?

6. Pettiford

Reputations:
    Yeah i dont really understand it. Im attaching an image from HWinfo, maybe you can see something i dont see.

Ive never used a vBIos mod before, im a little worried to because for some reason my intel graphics doesnt work. But id like to try it.

P. S. yes it was an m5950.

Attached Files:

7. Pettiford

Reputations:
    Flashed to your Vbios! you were right, with the max power set all the way up its consistently performing how it should be. 970/1375 gets me a 658 on Valley Extreme HD every time. Thanks Valuxin.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  8. mattjyk

mattjyk Newbie

Reputations:
    what graphics drivers are you using? m4600 owner with m5100 gfx card here and the drivers from amds auto detect give me a BSOD with this vbios.

9. Pettiford

Reputations:
    I just downloaded the latest "crimson" from the amd website. Ill check when i get home tonight which exact version it is.

I do know that i used the drop down menu rather than auto detect, and selected firepro m5100

10. TheReciever

TheReciever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good evening ladies and gents!

So after going back to mobile as my main I decided to look into upgrading my m4600 to w/e I could. Last time I checked the latest known card to work with this machine was the m5950 / 6770m.

Got the m5100 after discovering other people had success with this and luckily so did I. I flashed the bios from here and ended up soft bricking the card, spent two days working with it to get it back up and running. If it wasnt one thing it was another preventing this card to work with this laptop but right before giving up on it, the m5100 finally awoke from the dead.

I had to take the original rom and mod it with vbe7? I just copy/ paste the settings that were applied on this rom and it ended up fixing the card.

The last problem I seem to have though, is how the heck can I get the GPU to push 1.1v? Do I need to unlock voltage in MSI Afterburner or something? Last time I activated the overclocking tools in Afterburner the laptop wouldnt boot so I am a little hesitant to just flip a switch lol.

In GPU-Z it states the card under load is using 1.025v and with that I can get 900c / 1550m. Though it seems there isnt much benefit after 1450m or so as my Valley score doesnt change at all. So I want to push the core some more, but reflashing doesnt seem to change the voltage to 1.1v.

Any idea's to try before just flashing the card again?

Oh and Valley Extreme preset maxes out at about 638

Thanks