AMD Carrizo Laptops spotted in EU

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Deks, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LTBonham

LTBonham Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I personally wouldn't mind a low res screen, it's just that it also usually means bad viewing angles, washed out colors, low brightness, etc.

I have owned an HP laptop with a screen that was like this and will never do it again.

I would consider the Toshiba if the display is decent. If the APU performs decent and I put in an SSD, it would be the perfect laptop to tote around work.

Edit - I should add that I will never spend money on ANY HP product ever again.

alexhawker likes this.
  2. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    I'm okay with Twisted Nemantic, if it's a fairly decent TN. The viewing angles will never be as good as IPS, but for a laptop I don't really need that, since if I'm going to be doing something with multiple people viewing, it'll be on a desktop with a dedicated monitor, or a TV. So "above average TN" is okay for a laptop.

For resolution, there's a few reasons I want more than 768 horizontal pixels:

- I like to be able to run programs that are designed to have at least 768 horizontal pixels in their window, and still have a taskbar visible. I did the auto-hiding taskbar for awhile in the XP SP1 days, but left it behind around the time I got my first 800-vertical-pixel computer.
    - I've been using 768 vertical pixels for a dozen years, and could have been using them since 1995, so still have 768 would be no progress for a long time.
    - I'm a developer, and the more vertical pixels I can see at once, the more code I can see at once, which tends to mean the easier it is to reason and the more productive I can be.

So at the minimum, I want at least 1280x800, though preferably 1440x900 or more unless it's small (13"-ish). With 16:9-ization, that means 1600x900 or more. I'd consider 1366x768 on an 11" or so since the pixel density would be pretty high on anything above that, but even if I wanted a highly mobile laptop were I to travel more again, I'd probably shoot for a 13" or so - you can get pretty thin and light 13" laptops these days.

But yes, I am fairly picky about screens. I figure if I'm going to be staring at it for hours a day and it's the primary way the computer communicates to me, it better be one I like, and it's not something to cheap out on.

I wouldn't mind the base model being 1366x768 as long as there's an option to choose a higher-res one. I miss the days when you could go to dell.com and customize nearly every aspect of your laptop - you can still do that for some models, but it's not nearly as common as it used to be.

3. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What about these Lenovos? FHD 1080P LCD optional!

The HP and Toshiba use FX-8800P, Lenovo chose A10-8700P with a dGPU. According to the Yoga 500 Maintenance Manual, SODIMM x 1 seems to be the only option, no dual channel config up to 8GB RAM. 15W TDP.
    https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_yoga_500_hmm_201504.pdf

HP ENVY 15z also 15W and Toshiba likely also considering the thinness of the case.
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04686890

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry but I have to add one more graphic. This one depicts AMD's 'advantage' in gaming graphics with even the 'base' model against the competition's 'high end' model at 15W. I do a little gaming mostly at 768p-1080p but I wouldn't call myself 'hardcore' by any means. If it runs Minecraft higher FPS on Fancy i'm pretty much content. :p
    [​IMG]

When I visited Best Buy, the associate mentioned I could try out the laptop for 14-days and return it for full-money-back no questions. I just may.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Starlight5 likes this.
  5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    See this is what I've talked about before. AMD comes out with a decent new package, yet OEM's offer it with the lightest options. At least this time they're not 6lbs behemoths with 15W chips like in the past. But those same laptops should be able to accommodate 35W version but more importantly, please include DUAL ram slots PLEASE. Or at the very least 8GB on board and a spare slot. You lose any advantage of the GPU by running single channel RAM.

I'm looking to replace my kids' 4 year old laptops and a 35W FX-8800P version would fit the bill perfectly. Preferably a 13" model.

triturbo, Apollo13 and Starlight5 like this.
  6. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    It may not make sense in terms of business partner relations, but sometimes I wish AMD would release one or two of their own laptop models to highlight what could be done with their APUs, like Microsoft has with Windows 8 and the Surface. Say, a 14" laptop with an FX-8800P, 1600x900 screen of decent quality, 2x4 GB RAM, a 256 GB SSD, and average-or-higher build quality. And then a second one in the 12" range that's ultra-thin, and uses a more midrange 15W part, and shows that you can use an AMD APU in an ultrabook form factor, and get better graphics to boot.

Perhaps they're concerned it would be like when 3Dfx started making their own GPUs and alienated their partners, and that may be a valid concern, but if none of their partners can come out with really compelling designs, it'd be nice if they could, even in limited quantities, if only to show the market what was possible and get some positive press for their APUs and designs in the process.

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I wish AMD would too. But in the past Intel has been guilty of collusion with OEM's and major electronic stores to push their stuff and to config AMD stuff so it wouldn't outperform the same cost Intel parts. While AMD struggled a lot in the last decade to keep up, a lot of that was due to Intel's incredulous practices.

TomJGX and Deks like this.
  8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    We should keep in mind that those incredulous practices are standard for big business. Us mere mortals at the bottom of the totem pole think and say we couldn't do anything like that - but for BIG business; it is a risk taken and weighed against the odds of getting caught and the possible fine if it ever or actually goes to court.

Not suggesting I condone this. But, this is how the big boys play (all of them).

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    It is illegal though, any way you look at it.

octiceps likes this.
  10. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Sounds like Lance Armstrong's justification for doping. "Hey, everyone does it. I don't see it as cheating, I see it as a level playing field." (Ethics aside, totally bogus since the richest athletes/teams get access to the best drugs, most sophisticated cover-ups, and the power and money to bribe anti-doping officials and silence whistleblowers.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.