AMD Carrizo Laptops spotted in EU

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Deks, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    I wouldn't buy either because they're both 1366x768. One of the most significant reasons I didn't end up getting an AMD-based laptop in 2013 or 2014.

But if I were okay with 1366x768, I'd lean towards the Toshiba. It should be pretty powerful for a 14", and IMO that's likely to be one of the sweet spots for these APUs. Not many 14" laptops have dedicated graphics, so having an APU with good graphics, and likely better battery life than the ones that do have a dGPU, is a nice feature at that size. I also already have plenty of larger laptops.

HTWingNut's question is quite valid, though. For the FX-8800P, I'd only be interested in the 35W model with adequate cooling to operate at full frequency indefinitely. No point in getting the top-model one if it can't make use of its power; the extra GPU power in particular is why I'd pay extra for it.

Also, the HP picture shows it as having an optical drive. Are you sure that's the right picture? Or does it have an ODD? If it does, that's a slight plus for me. The HP also will probably have better speakers based on my past experience with HP and Toshiba consumer-focused laptops, although it's possible Toshiba has upped their game in that area recently. On the other hand, I have a little more confidence in Toshiba's consumer build quality than HP's (though HP's enterprise is much better than their consumer).

At any rate I'm curious how these compare to Kaveri, particularly FX-8800P vs. FX-7600P. The CPU clocks are lower (even after turbo is accounted for), so hopefully the IPC is increased by more than the clocks are lowered. I am glad to see both that these are emerging more quickly and that you can get the high-end APU without a dedicated GPU. This is about the price range I'd hoped they'd meet, whereas with a Radeon added in Kaveri often wound up being more like $800, and heavier to boot. Now they just need to get one with more than 768 vertical pixels, and (had I not already bought an EliteBook after tiring of waiting) I'd be interested.

2. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Isn't an ODD an optical drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Yeah, ODD = Optical Disk Drive. From the pictures, it looks like the HP has one, though the comment indicates it doesn't.

Sent from my desktop using Opera 12.17

4. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    FTFY

Disc = optical storage media
    Disk = magnetic storage media

Yes I'm a Nazi

tilleroftheearth and alexhawker like this.
  5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Time to shave that little mustache.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  6. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Gotcha. I didn't look at the picture, so was thrown off by your wording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay so basically y'all won't accept anything with a resolution of 1366x768? Got it. I asked another forum and the the feedback was the same. Most of the forumers will purchase if 1600x900 or 1920x1080 Thanks for your input.

But to those who here would be willing to purchase and use a 1366x768 resolution, how many would prefer a wide angle LCD versus the "crappy tn" people refer to? The answer will be everyone. No one wants a crappy screen I agree. When does the display become a acceptable/unacceptable then if you haven't tried it yourself?

Toshiba claims their LCD is touted as being such display. Wide viewing angles. HP has a similar claim iirc. How are your expectations for a $400-$700 mainstream laptop?

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  8. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
  9. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    American actually

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The Carrizo laptops as available in Germany (in the link of the first thread) seem to come with 1920x1080p resolution screens.
    So, EU-wise, the specs seem to be ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.